Norcal Jeepers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Well that was a fun 40 hours. Thank you Godaddy. We're back up and running, but in the next 30 days there will some scheduled down time.

Welcome to Norcal Jeepers!
Welcome to Norcal Jeepers! It looks like you're not registered yet. As a guest you are missing out on a bunch of great content that is only viewable once you register. To register, simply follow the link below and fill out some information about yourself. It only takes a few minutes!

Click here to register now!

Author Topic: Who carries chains in the winter?  (Read 2934 times)

Anticanman

• Sprung Under for Her Pleasure
Who carries chains in the winter?
« on: November 16, 2012, 03:41:45 PM »

I ran across a piece of info when doing a little research and was wondering who has been caught with their pants down without chains in the winter?

TYPES OF CHAIN CONTROL
During the winter months motorists may encounter traction device controls in the mountain areas of California. When chain controls are established, signs along side the road will be opened indicating the type of requirement. There are three requirements in California.

Requirement One (R1): Chains or snow tread tires required. Snow tires must have a tread depth of 6/32" with a "M & S" imprint on the tire's sidewall.

Requirement Two (R2): Chains required on all vehicles except four-wheel drives or all-wheel drives with snow tread tires on all four wheels. NOTE: four-wheel and all-wheel drive vehicles must carry traction devices in chain control areas)

Requirement Three (R3): Chains are required on all vehicles, no exceptions.

I have never seen the R3 on a publicly maintained road and I'm looking for thoughts on the subject. Tis the season.
Asian in stock JKU initiated wave... be jealous fool
I said screw it. I'm going for the tranny tonight.

connor0770

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 03:49:35 PM »

They will close the road before R3 is issued. You have nothing to worry about.
-97 TJ, 35's, Currie 4" lift, Dana 30 w/ ARB, 8.8, Trail Gear Front Bumper With w/ XRC8, LOD Tire Carrier, UCF Tummy Tuck, Smittybuilt Corners, Poison Spider Sliders

Anticanman

Re: Who carries chains in the winter?
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 04:20:09 PM »

When it says "must carry traction devices" in the R2, doesn't that also count as having to carry chains or am I totally off on that too? According to the law:
TIRE TRACTION DEVICES
The California Vehicle Code, Section 605 defines tire traction devices as follows:
"Tire Traction Devices are devices or mechanisms having a composition and design capable of improving vehicle traction, braking and cornering ability upon snow or ice-covered surfaces. Tire traction devices shall be constructed and assembled to provide sufficient structural integrity and to prevent accidental detachment from vehicles. Tire traction devices shall at the time of manufacture or final assembly, bear a permanent impression indicating the name, initials or trademark of the assembling company or primary manufacturer, and the country in which the devices were manufactured or assembled in final form."

The traction aiding device could be defined as a limited slip differential and aired down tires.

Day215

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 04:40:20 PM »

Fist of all, you should never get caught with you pants down in the snow, you run a severe chance of chopping your ass, chains or not! :biggrin:

I wasn't aware of the need to have chains in possession, even in a 4wd/AWD vehicle. I can't see them stopping to check if you have them in your vehicle, I have only seen them wave what they believe to be 4x4's thru and they scope out the tires on all others.

I agree with Connor, they shut down the roadways before it ever reaches R3.
92 Toyota minitruck Front Dana 60 4.88s, Lincoln locked, drive slugs blah blah blah. Rear Dana 70 4.88s, Lincoln locked, 63 chevys. W56 5speed, 2.28 duals, 22re. 39.5s and other stuff. Bobbed, exod, cut up etc. I used to wheel a YJ, then I defected. Now no one talks to me anymore.....cant completly blame that on the switch though.

I'm out of the club. Stay away from my wiener.

Anticanman

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 04:48:01 PM »

No person shall use those tires on four-wheel drive vehicles in
place of tire traction devices whenever weather and roadway
conditions at the time are such that the stopping, tractive, and
cornering abilities of the tires are not adequate or whenever the
Department of Transportation or local authorities, in their
respective jurisdictions, place signs prohibiting their operation

unless equipped with tire traction devices.

But this is the part that gets me and its straight out of the vehicle code. Basically you can be told that your snow rated tires are not adequate and are required to put on chains or at the very least required to carry them. I only bring it up because they're starting to check for chains in Yosemite whether its 4wd or not.

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/chains.htm

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2012, 05:23:48 PM »

I don't carry chains in my truck or the Jeep.  I've never had them even ask other than to inquire if I was actually in 4WD.

norcal_chris

• always down to wheel
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 07:18:59 PM »

I asked my dad about this a while back.  he said he has never heard of them requiring chains on a 4wd vehicle either.

I carry a pair of chains. Its actually a set of 4 that i made into 2 that actually fit my tiresm  ive used them in the snow a few times and they work damn good. especially on the slick icy crap.
Ruined a perfectly good jeep.

connor0770

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2012, 08:00:46 PM »

After driving to and from Reno over the pass, they have never required or asked if I had chains. They just smile and wave me on. And when it gets nasty they close it down.

Although some 35" chains would be killer for serious snow wheeling. My reno buddies used them.
-97 TJ, 35's, Currie 4" lift, Dana 30 w/ ARB, 8.8, Trail Gear Front Bumper With w/ XRC8, LOD Tire Carrier, UCF Tummy Tuck, Smittybuilt Corners, Poison Spider Sliders

Sccafire

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2012, 08:38:58 PM »

For R2 conditions you just need to carry chains if you have a 4WD. I also have never  been stopped and asked to see the chains while driving a 4WD. There are several things you can do. One, buy the correct size chains and keep them in the vehicle. Two, buy the cheapest set you can find most likely will be the wrong size and keep them in the vehicle. Remember, in R2 conditions you must carry them. CHP will close roads before R3. Also, their are places you can purchase chains and if not used let you return them after the winter season is over.
Scott

03rubiTJ

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2012, 11:44:36 PM »

I remember my old timer friends from the high country telling me it was the law to carry chains in a 4x4 and so I bought a pair and threw them in the back of the truck.  Never used them or heard of people being required to use them.  But, those guys are pretty smart, and so I think I need to get some for the jeep now.  Hope I get to use em someday.

CMARJEEP

• Connor #1
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2012, 02:33:53 AM »

Like has been said above, you are required to carry them during R2 but they would never check to see if you had them. They only set up chain inspections for the big rigs. I have never carried chains and I drive over the pass all winter during chain controls.
2001 WJ mallcrawler / 2.5" OME lift / ARB front bumper with Warn M8000 / KOR Sliders / 31" Treadwright MTRs

pdangerp

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2012, 07:22:47 AM »

I bought a set of chains for my 33s. Never needed them. Never was asked for them. Now I run 35s. I'm not buying another set. I will probably be up to 37s soon enough that chains would be a waste again.

Day215

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2012, 08:59:14 AM »

Les schwab will let you return the chains if you don't use em', but a set and return them after the winter season.

I could see the authorities checking the lowered 4wd silverado on 22's, or the pedestrian looking 4wd for chains, but I believe they would just wave thru anything that looked capable. Seems like enforcement would be hot or miss.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 07:30:58 AM by Day215 »
92 Toyota minitruck Front Dana 60 4.88s, Lincoln locked, drive slugs blah blah blah. Rear Dana 70 4.88s, Lincoln locked, 63 chevys. W56 5speed, 2.28 duals, 22re. 39.5s and other stuff. Bobbed, exod, cut up etc. I used to wheel a YJ, then I defected. Now no one talks to me anymore.....cant completly blame that on the switch though.

I'm out of the club. Stay away from my wiener.

03rubiTJ

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2012, 08:49:56 PM »

Sorry, let me clarify.  As I understand, it's in the law.  But my point is, whether it's enforced or not, I carried chains when hunting and camping out in the middle of nowhere and there weren't any john laws to protect me from myself.  Never used them, but came close a couple times. :thumbsup:

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2012, 12:53:54 PM »

Sorry, let me clarify.  As I understand, it's in the law.  But my point is, whether it's enforced or not, I carried chains when hunting and camping out in the middle of nowhere and there weren't any john laws to protect me from myself.  Never used them, but came close a couple times. :thumbsup:

Well I've never seen a CHP Officer checking at a chain control point and Cal Trans has no "enforcement" authority. 

03rubiTJ

« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2012, 09:25:01 PM »

I know.  I've never heard of anyone ever even being checked. 

Anticanman

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2012, 11:13:18 PM »

Appreciate the experience across the board gents.

Cliffordmckenzie72

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2012, 09:59:21 AM »

I am definitely not an expert but I read many guys do actually use them offroad, expedition type rigs use them heavily and seems like it would be good to have them if you at going to head into a nasty area, apparently they help a lot in the mud?

mashen

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2013, 07:41:59 PM »

I know this is kinda old but here's my other rigg with chains on! LOL ;D
96' 4.0ho.4.5" lift gm shackles bastard pack leafs Tcase drop.lca.slowly but surely..

RockWoRM

• LJ's do it longer
  • Supporting Member
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2013, 03:48:41 PM »

How about a thread hijack... I know, wrong time of year... but I have some snow cables for sale for cheap if anyone needs a set.  :biggrin:

I have 2 sets of practically new (both used once only) snow cable chains.
truck set fits 16" meats. 265/75/16 IIRC from my Chevy Z71.  $25.oo
car set was a Honda accord. can't remember the exact size of the dumb thing... maybe 205/65/15??? but as long as it is a pass car type tire in that range, they should fit.  $20.oo
both are in really good shape and I paid way more than twice these prices.
shoot me an email or PM. thanks
'05 LJR, 4.0, HT, AC, 6sp, 5.13 D44's, Alloy shafts, RC long arm w/6" MC dual rate coils, All MC armor, Warn 9.5, OEM front bumper, Rockhard rear swing out, ProComp bolt in int. cage. CB