Norcal Jeepers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Tapatalk is still having problems starting new threads, but you can still reply to old threads

Welcome to Norcal Jeepers!
Welcome to Norcal Jeepers! It looks like you're not registered yet. As a guest you are missing out on a bunch of great content that is only viewable once you register. To register, simply follow the link below and fill out some information about yourself. It only takes a few minutes!

Click here to register now!

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Rear bumper suggestions and tire carrier ideas?  (Read 8448 times)

Day215

Re: Rear bumper suggestions and tire carrier ideas?
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2013, 11:42:40 AM »

I've got my choices narrowed down to these two bumpers. My primary goal is to clean up the lines over my current setup, gain some additional clearance out towards the ends of the bumper, and it had to have a hitch.

I'm also hoping to incorporate some shakle hangers if and when I decide to stretch my WB, my current setup doesn't allow that. Input welcome!
First choice

Second choice
92 Toyota minitruck Front Dana 60 4.88s, Lincoln locked, drive slugs blah blah blah. Rear Dana 70 4.88s, Lincoln locked, 63 chevys. W56 5speed, 2.28 duals, 22re. 39.5s and other stuff. Bobbed, exod, cut up etc. I used to wheel a YJ, then I defected. Now no one talks to me anymore.....cant completly blame that on the switch though.

I'm out of the club. Stay away from my wiener.

Sccafire

« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2013, 12:55:41 PM »

Have you seen the exogate? You might get some ideas from that.
Scott

Day215

« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2013, 02:30:20 PM »

Have you seen the exogate? You might get some ideas from that.

I just read all 35 pages! All the body mounted carriers I see are very similar, both in design as well as price...$350?! I have a few clear goals with mine, one is to create substantial support from the inside of the tub possibly tying it into the base of the roll bar, the second is to keep it relatively inexpensive.

The creative juices are flowing, I keep gathering ideas to make it stronger without going overboard. The choice of bumpers ie really secondary to my carrier design, I need the bumper to be functional and if I can get something that looks good too that would be a plus.
92 Toyota minitruck Front Dana 60 4.88s, Lincoln locked, drive slugs blah blah blah. Rear Dana 70 4.88s, Lincoln locked, 63 chevys. W56 5speed, 2.28 duals, 22re. 39.5s and other stuff. Bobbed, exod, cut up etc. I used to wheel a YJ, then I defected. Now no one talks to me anymore.....cant completly blame that on the switch though.

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2013, 07:02:32 PM »

Of those two bumpers, I like the second one better, though not so sure how well shackle hangers will fit on there.

Day215

« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2013, 07:35:16 PM »

Of those two bumpers, I like the second one better, though not so sure how well shackle hangers will fit on there.

The second one really caught my attention. That's a $408 bumper once I add in shipping, it just lost my attention. The more I look at things, if I could have some tube bent up, I could do a genright style for less than either of my two choices.

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2013, 07:48:50 PM »

We know someone with a bender.

Tru_Fab_Built

« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2013, 01:09:07 PM »

What kind of tube???

Day215

« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2013, 02:06:54 PM »

What kind of tube???

Most likely HREW, but I could even use poop pipe if it came down to it. It only has to carry the weight of the spare.

sneakyjap96

• BIG JOHNSON
  • JOHNSON
« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2013, 03:36:01 PM »

Speaking of bender matt if I get the tube for my cage do you have spare room for me to do the cage, well start my main cage
1989 xj d30 spartan d44  lsd 4.88 gr johnson built long/mid arms johnson built stiffeners, Trans mount n sliders hd shackle relocation boxes beefy shackles 7 in front coils re adjustable track bar oba dirt bound front bumper home made rear bumper

1995 xj np231 w jb sye 6 in lift  re uca/lca johnson built  winch bumper an sliders xrc8 winch hl 60 s 33s km2/km hp30 sparten btf hd diff cover/8.25 3.55 gr cb re brake lines jks discos hid lights in cab winch control Johnson bilt motor mounts dual e fan conversion

Day215

« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2013, 08:06:04 PM »

I'm thinking about doing this, but adding on a stubby piece of hitch stock to carry my hitch rack or tow my small ATV trailer. I would cut a square hole to pass the hitch thru, weld front and back and weld on two gussets on either side. I would have the hitch extend out from the face of the bumper no more than 2 1/2"-3", and I would trim my receiver accordingly.

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #50 on: August 17, 2013, 03:12:59 AM »

Is that the Gen-Right cross piece?  I've thought of doing the same, my only hangup with using that is retaining the hitch.  There's not a lot of room between that and the gas tank skid.  My current bumper, the hitch is basically flush at the face of the bumper and I re-drilled both parts so the pin goes in behind the bumper.  I don't know if there's enough room there to still do it that way or not.

Day215

« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2013, 06:46:24 AM »

Is that the Gen-Right cross piece?  I've thought of doing the same, my only hangup with using that is retaining the hitch.  There's not a lot of room between that and the gas tank skid.  My current bumper, the hitch is basically flush at the face of the bumper and I re-drilled both parts so the pin goes in behind the bumper.  I don't know if there's enough room there to still do it that way or not.

It is indeed the Genright piece. Barnes4wd has the same piece, minus the tabs for the drop down carrier, but priced at $90 less, $10 worth of universal tabs and I'm still $80 ahead.

My vision is to have the hitch material welded around the perimeter at the vase where it meets the face of the bumper, then tie in two gussets on opposite sides of the hitch to help spread the load. I certainly wouldnt tow a load of brick around town, but for what I'm using it for it should work just fine.

Mr.B

• "But officer, it was a Subaru!"
  • Administrator
« Reply #52 on: August 17, 2013, 06:48:08 AM »

Yeah, that's just the rear crossmember. If you never plan on adding a full bumper/tire carrier, that would be fine. It would be tough to change your mind, down the road.
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

You're a super genius....
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein

pdangerp

Rear bumper suggestions and tire carrier ideas?
« Reply #53 on: August 17, 2013, 08:20:44 AM »

They also sell a blank one with no recovery tabs either. They say you can use that for crossmember reinforcement if you've damaged or cut into the actual crossmember. This is the one I want but it doesn't go wide enough for me.
Pages: 1 2 [3]