Norcal Jeepers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Well that was a fun 40 hours. Thank you Godaddy. We're back up and running, but in the next 30 days there will some scheduled down time.

Welcome to Norcal Jeepers!
Welcome to Norcal Jeepers! It looks like you're not registered yet. As a guest you are missing out on a bunch of great content that is only viewable once you register. To register, simply follow the link below and fill out some information about yourself. It only takes a few minutes!

Click here to register now!

Author Topic: Brake line PSI ???  (Read 1131 times)

Screaming Bear

• Supporting Member
  • "the Bear Whisperer"
Brake line PSI ???
« on: January 24, 2013, 08:36:26 AM »

I am suspecting I have poor rear braking on my RV. 79 P30 Chevy chassis with a hydro boost system. Has anyone ever tested brake line pressure with a gauge? The only spec I can come up with is a proportioning valve will limit 500-600 PSI to rear.  I didn't even see a proportioning valve! I flushed the power steering fluid yesterday hoping this might improve the hydro boost if it was gummed up. Steering feels nice and light so I don't think the problem is the P/S pump. I am replacing the old rear flex line hoping it may be restricting flow and I will test the line pressure. (brakes are all new, the fronts are doing all the work) Anyone work on trucks? Is 500 PSI what I am looking for?
51 CJ3-A, 4.3 TBI Chevy, SM420, Dana 18TC, 30/44 Full Floaters, Yukon Front Axle and Hubs, rear drive flanges, Detroit Fr / E-Locker Rr, 4.27:1 Gears, 74:1, HD steering / 4 wheel disk brakes, Viair 550C, 100% LED - VisionX headlights, Rigid Light-bar, DOT Fogs, Grote tail, Soft Top and Heater, 35"KM-2's, 3" up, no articulation - it works

timatoe

• Administrator
Re: Brake line PSI ???
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 11:41:17 AM »

Don't know about the PSI etc. but I have heard of soft lines collapsing over time causing poor braking.

Screaming Bear

• Supporting Member
  • "the Bear Whisperer"
Re: Brake line PSI ???
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 12:27:33 PM »

Don't know about the PSI etc. but I have heard of soft lines collapsing over time causing poor braking.
Yes that's what I am hoping. I have the rear hose and I ordered a new M/C for the hell of it. The front disk brakes seem to be doing all the work. I am toasting even the ceramic pads. Calipers are not sticking. 13 x 3 1/2" rear drums should be decent stopping power. It has to have a proportioning valve somewhere. It could be bad.
51 CJ3-A, 4.3 TBI Chevy, SM420, Dana 18TC, 30/44 Full Floaters, Yukon Front Axle and Hubs, rear drive flanges, Detroit Fr / E-Locker Rr, 4.27:1 Gears, 74:1, HD steering / 4 wheel disk brakes, Viair 550C, 100% LED - VisionX headlights, Rigid Light-bar, DOT Fogs, Grote tail, Soft Top and Heater, 35"KM-2's, 3" up, no articulation - it works