Norcal Jeepers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Tapatalk is still having problems starting new threads, but you can still reply to old threads

Welcome to Norcal Jeepers!
Welcome to Norcal Jeepers! It looks like you're not registered yet. As a guest you are missing out on a bunch of great content that is only viewable once you register. To register, simply follow the link below and fill out some information about yourself. It only takes a few minutes!

Click here to register now!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Outdoor/camping tools that make life easier  (Read 3311 times)

Mr.B

• "But officer, it was a Subaru!"
  • Administrator
Re: Outdoor/camping tools that make life easier
« Reply #80 on: June 07, 2013, 07:59:14 PM »

You won't be using those over my Campfire in a Can.
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

You're a super genius....
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein

The Bear Whisperer

• aka - Screaming "Bear"
« Reply #81 on: April 11, 2014, 11:03:40 PM »

Upgrading my backpacking equipment. It looks like the MSR Reactor stove is the most efficient available but I am leaning towards a Jet Boil for a few reasons. Lighter weight, smaller and they double as a cup. Any comments?

Need to loose my bulky 5lb sleeping bag. Leaning towards the Marmot 15* Helium long at 2lbs 6oz. The REI Igneo is too confining, though it weighs less than 2lbs. Both have small compressed volume.

Probably will wait on a tent, but think a Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2 is my best bet, maybe their Copper Spur UL1.
I'm keeping my vintage Kelty pack a while longer, but Granite Gear and Osprey have caught my eye.

I've done tons of research but still like to hear other opinions. (I know-"go wheeling")
51 CJ3-A, 4.3 TBI Chevy, SM420, Dana 18TC, D30/44, 4.27:1 Gears = 74:1 Yukon Front Axles and Hubs, Detroit Fr / E-Locker Rr, 8K winch, HD steering, Viair 550C, 100% LED - VisionX headlights, Rigid Light-bar, DOT Fogs, Grote tail, Soft Top, Heater, CB/Ham/Stereo, 35"KM-2's, ~3" up, Rubicon Express YJ springs on the rear

connor0770

« Reply #82 on: April 12, 2014, 03:59:43 PM »

Osprey = awesomeness!  My next pack will be an Osprey. Go try one on and you will be hooked.
-97 TJ, 35's, Currie 4" lift, Dana 30 w/ ARB, 8.8, Trail Gear Front Bumper With w/ XRC8, LOD Tire Carrier, UCF Tummy Tuck, Smittybuilt Corners, Poison Spider Sliders

connor0770

« Reply #83 on: April 12, 2014, 04:00:07 PM »

I've been looking at a jet boil too.  Nice stoves and I like how it doubles a cup as well
-97 TJ, 35's, Currie 4" lift, Dana 30 w/ ARB, 8.8, Trail Gear Front Bumper With w/ XRC8, LOD Tire Carrier, UCF Tummy Tuck, Smittybuilt Corners, Poison Spider Sliders

The Bear Whisperer

• aka - Screaming "Bear"
« Reply #84 on: April 12, 2014, 04:20:42 PM »

Osprey = awesomeness!  My next pack will be an Osprey. Go try one on and you will be hooked.
Yeah, I tried on an Osprey, think it was an Atmos. Very comfortable and it had amazing ventilation. REI didn't have a Volt 65 available.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 10:53:43 PM by Screaming Bear »
51 CJ3-A, 4.3 TBI Chevy, SM420, Dana 18TC, D30/44, 4.27:1 Gears = 74:1 Yukon Front Axles and Hubs, Detroit Fr / E-Locker Rr, 8K winch, HD steering, Viair 550C, 100% LED - VisionX headlights, Rigid Light-bar, DOT Fogs, Grote tail, Soft Top, Heater, CB/Ham/Stereo, 35"KM-2's, ~3" up, Rubicon Express YJ springs on the rear

Day215

« Reply #85 on: April 12, 2014, 07:15:18 PM »

You crazy kids and your name dropping!

OZARK TRAIL...FTW :flipoff:
92 Toyota minitruck Front Dana 60 4.88s, Lincoln locked, drive slugs blah blah blah. Rear Dana 70 4.88s, Lincoln locked, 63 chevys. W56 5speed, 2.28 duals, 22re. 39.5s and other stuff. Bobbed, exod, cut up etc. I used to wheel a YJ, then I defected. Now no one talks to me anymore.....cant completly blame that on the switch though.

I'm out of the club. Stay away from my wiener.

Tru_Fab_Built

« Reply #86 on: April 12, 2014, 11:15:16 PM »

Jet boil! Enough said. It has been the best bang for my buck item it seems to always travel with me outdoors and traveling during winter months with a couple bottles of water and food.  It's minimal on the weight and like you said Doug it has multiple uses as a cup or a bowl or a water drinking cup. It's fuel consumption is very reasonable and even at higher elevations it can boil water very rapid.  IMO would suggest this to anyone for many reasons and uses.  I have a 70l Eberlestock and am looking at the Kelty cosmic down 20* bag or the marmott sawtooth 20* bag also.  Still torn between which one. 

The Bear Whisperer

• aka - Screaming "Bear"
« Reply #87 on: April 13, 2014, 07:48:18 AM »

Jet boil! Enough said. It has been the best bang for my buck item it seems to always travel with me outdoors and traveling during winter months with a couple bottles of water and food.  It's minimal on the weight and like you said Doug it has multiple uses as a cup or a bowl or a water drinking cup. It's fuel consumption is very reasonable and even at higher elevations it can boil water very rapid.  IMO would suggest this to anyone for many reasons and uses.  I have a 70l Eberlestock and am looking at the Kelty cosmic down 20* bag or the marmott sawtooth 20* bag also.  Still torn between which one.
Sold my Optimus R8 on eBay last night - got $66 for that thing! Buying a Jet Boil today, thanks for the vote guys.
Yeah, the Cosmic is in my top four. Take a look at the REI Igneo Matt, bathtub design and extremely light. Too confining for me. Waiting to hear back on Marmot pricing from a friend.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 07:54:36 AM by Screaming Bear »

Tru_Fab_Built

« Reply #88 on: April 13, 2014, 09:54:18 AM »

This bag design had really got me thinking about it.  It's a bit pricey.   But just like a good pair if boots on your feet it may be well worth the mula!! Watch the video on it.  Explains it all. 

http://www.tacticaldistributors.com/camping/sleeping-bags/sierra-designs-mobile-mummy-800f-regular-2-season-bossa-nova-1

The Bear Whisperer

• aka - Screaming "Bear"
« Reply #89 on: April 13, 2014, 12:32:23 PM »

This bag design had really got me thinking about it.  It's a bit pricey.   But just like a good pair if boots on your feet it may be well worth the mula!! Watch the video on it.  Explains it all. 

http://www.tacticaldistributors.com/camping/sleeping-bags/sierra-designs-mobile-mummy-800f-regular-2-season-bossa-nova-1
Interesting, can you picture me running from a bear (screaming) with that on? I can. Good weight, same price as REI Igneo. I hope to spend closer to $200.

The Bear Whisperer

• aka - Screaming "Bear"
« Reply #90 on: September 25, 2014, 04:59:21 PM »

Seems the hot ticket for packs these days are ones made by ULA Equipment. I bought the Catalyst and boy is it comfy. It has aluminum stays that you custom bend to the curve of your back. Great for old hunchbacks like me.  :hahaha: Most everyone on the trails these days are using trekking poles and rave about them. I also need a Neoair XLite to replace my hard as a rock RidgeRest pad.

Marmot Helium sleeping bag = fantastic
JetBoil stove = incredible
Big Agnus Fly Creek UL1 tent = should of bought the larger Copper Spur @ 3ozs. more weight

Edit: bought a Copper Spur UL-2 and an X-lite air pad. Love all my backpacking equipment now.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 08:58:24 AM by Screaming Bear »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]