Norcal Jeepers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Tapatalk is still having problems starting new threads, but you can still reply to old threads

Welcome to Norcal Jeepers!
Welcome to Norcal Jeepers! It looks like you're not registered yet. As a guest you are missing out on a bunch of great content that is only viewable once you register. To register, simply follow the link below and fill out some information about yourself. It only takes a few minutes!

Click here to register now!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5

Author Topic: Summer Hiking  (Read 13563 times)

CMARJEEP

• Connor #1
Summer Hiking
« on: March 26, 2013, 04:33:40 PM »

I was driving over Donner Pass yesterday and saw how little snow there was left. None along the freeway and a lot of rocks showing through on the peaks. Can't wait to get out hiking this summer. I just ordered a book from Amazon that has over 150 hikes in the Reno/Tahoe area.

I really want to do Castle Peak and Mt. Rose this year. Anyone got any other suggestions?
2001 WJ mallcrawler / 2.5" OME lift / ARB front bumper with Warn M8000 / KOR Sliders / 31" Treadwright MTRs

Jam86

Re: Summer Hiking
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 04:53:30 PM »

Any area or a particular area?
I got a 6 foot bed that never has to be made!

autumnxtoxsehsa

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 05:02:38 PM »

Been trying for a few years now to find time to do Mt tallac and reach the summit. Always getting rained out when I plan it though, maybe this year we will get lucky

Day215

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 05:39:30 PM »

Check out this site, he gives directions to each one with the difficulty of each hike. We did a few last summer, it's really cool.

http://www.waterfallswest.com/page.php?id=regionca
92 Toyota minitruck Front Dana 60 4.88s, Lincoln locked, drive slugs blah blah blah. Rear Dana 70 4.88s, Lincoln locked, 63 chevys. W56 5speed, 2.28 duals, 22re. 39.5s and other stuff. Bobbed, exod, cut up etc. I used to wheel a YJ, then I defected. Now no one talks to me anymore.....cant completly blame that on the switch though.

I'm out of the club. Stay away from my wiener.

connor0770

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 06:04:55 PM »

I was driving over Donner Pass yesterday and saw how little snow there was left. None along the freeway and a lot of rocks showing through on the peaks. Can't wait to get out hiking this summer. I just ordered a book from Amazon that has over 150 hikes in the Reno/Tahoe area.

I really want to do Castle Peak and Mt. Rose this year. Anyone got any other suggestions?

Castle Peak is awesome! WHen you hike castle peak go a little past the trail head and check out Peter Grub hut. Its an Emergency hut for snowshoers and cross country skiers in the winter. Ive stayed there a couple times now. Its fun!
-97 TJ, 35's, Currie 4" lift, Dana 30 w/ ARB, 8.8, Trail Gear Front Bumper With w/ XRC8, LOD Tire Carrier, UCF Tummy Tuck, Smittybuilt Corners, Poison Spider Sliders

The Bear Whisperer

• aka - Screaming "Bear"
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 08:36:46 PM »

If you guys hike near Tahoe leave a post a couple days in advance (if you want company that is). Mt Talac is on my to do list, maybe after a few conditioning hikes though. I've hiked 5 miles in both directions from Spooner, Davis Creek, Wolf Creek and a few sections of the PCT. I don't think I'm up for week long backpacking any more, but day hikes are cool. Let us know if that book is any good.  :usa:
51 CJ3-A, 4.3 TBI Chevy, SM420, Dana 18TC, D30/44, 4.27:1 Gears = 74:1 Yukon Front Axles and Hubs, Detroit Fr / E-Locker Rr, 8K winch, HD steering, Viair 550C, 100% LED - VisionX headlights, Rigid Light-bar, DOT Fogs, Grote tail, Soft Top, Heater, CB/Ham/Stereo, 35"KM-2's, ~3" up, Rubicon Express YJ springs on the rear

CMARJEEP

• Connor #1
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 09:05:47 PM »

If you guys hike near Tahoe leave a post a couple days in advance (if you want company that is). Mt Talac is on my to do list, maybe after a few conditioning hikes though. I've hiked 5 miles in both directions from Spooner, Davis Creek, Wolf Creek and a few sections of the PCT. I don't think I'm up for week long backpacking any more, but day hikes are cool. Let us know if that book is any good.  :usa:

I'll definitely post up. I'm always looking for people to come along. The Mt. Tallac hike looks awesome with great views. I'm going to try to get out every week this summer and try a new hike.
2001 WJ mallcrawler / 2.5" OME lift / ARB front bumper with Warn M8000 / KOR Sliders / 31" Treadwright MTRs

CMARJEEP

• Connor #1
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013, 09:01:23 PM »

Got the book in today. Has tons of great hikes from Graeagle to South Lake. Can't wait to get out this year and some of these.

The Bear Whisperer

• aka - Screaming "Bear"
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2013, 01:16:40 PM »

Anyone ever hike the PCT or JMT out of Mammoth? Planning a week backpacking trip with my brother. Many routes in the Ansel Adams Wilderness, was wondering if anyone had some favorite sections. In analyzing the topo's, it looks like this area could not disappoint.
51 CJ3-A, 4.3 TBI Chevy, SM420, Dana 18TC, D30/44, 4.27:1 Gears = 74:1 Yukon Front Axles and Hubs, Detroit Fr / E-Locker Rr, 8K winch, HD steering, Viair 550C, 100% LED - VisionX headlights, Rigid Light-bar, DOT Fogs, Grote tail, Soft Top, Heater, CB/Ham/Stereo, 35"KM-2's, ~3" up, Rubicon Express YJ springs on the rear

Mr.B

• "But officer, it was a Subaru!"
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2013, 09:50:27 PM »

Hiking no. But I have camped at Big Pine campground/Glacier Lodge. I'm pretty sure you can hike to JMT from there. I know there are parking lots for hikers up there. Great fishing up there too. I even caught a Golden Trout up there. That was 20 years ago though.
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

You're a super genius....
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein

The Bear Whisperer

• aka - Screaming "Bear"
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2013, 08:50:53 AM »

Hiking no. But I have camped at Big Pine campground/Glacier Lodge. I'm pretty sure you can hike to JMT from there. I know there are parking lots for hikers up there. Great fishing up there too. I even caught a Golden Trout up there. That was 20 years ago though.
We did a hike from S. Lake out of Bishop all the way to Independence, definitely nice country Ben. I think we went over six major passes on that trip! We took a 50 miler from Virginia Lakes to Bridgeport and shorter trips in Kennedy Meadows and out of Lone Pine. The Ansel Adams Wilderness between Mammoth and Yosemite should be the best yet. Shuttle bus to trail head will be a pain though.
Bill says we will have trout for dinner. I've heard that before :)

The Bear Whisperer

• aka - Screaming "Bear"
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2014, 11:53:03 AM »

So I've been weighing all my gear trying to figure out how to go "ultra lite". My old Kelty Trekker is still competitive so no upgrade is needed there. My sleeping bag is an opportunity to save a full 3 lbs. It is hard to find a 0*- 20* long bag weighing around 2lbs.  The Marmot Plasma or Helium are out of my price range! Maybe a Kelty Ignite. What do you back-packers use? I was hoping to get down to 25-30lbs loaded for a week long trek.

PS: Award winning Montrail Morain boots, size 10.5 for sale, excellent condition. Too small for me and I am going light weight for now on.

The Bear Whisperer

• aka - Screaming "Bear"
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2014, 03:29:21 PM »

Looks like I am talking to myself here, but WTF I'll update anyway.

All ready to go backpacking next week. With the weather we've had this summer, I will be carrying 3.8lbs of rain gear, pack cover and tent and also the required 2lb. 9oz bear-proof food canister. It might take 1.5 days to reach first water, so will be hauling an extra liter from the TH. Total pack weight will be under 30lbs. by day two of eight. Not bad, I conditioned for this with 35lbs.

With all my equip upgrades and a clear forecast, I could definitely reach the ultra-lite status of a 25lb. pack for a weeklong trip.  :2thumbsup:

Mr.B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2014, 08:26:58 PM »

I did a couple of three day hikes through Yosemite back in '89 and '90. I was carrying a 50lb. pack. Things have sure changed since then. 25lbs. would have been a dream.
 I'm predicting fair weather for you.
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein

The Bear Whisperer

• aka - Screaming "Bear"
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2014, 03:41:08 PM »

Okay while you guys were rambling with the Ramblers here's where we went. I used my lightweight camera, so after I Photo-shopped the hell out of the pic's, I hope they look okay.
http://s933.photobucket.com/user/dgjones703/slideshow/JMT%209-2-14

Two Beers

« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2014, 05:39:15 PM »

Looks like a good trip.

Did you eat any fresh fish?

Mr.B

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2014, 05:51:46 PM »

That is some beautiful country there.
 Did you get any rain? I'm guessing not, with all those blue sky pics.

The Bear Whisperer

• aka - Screaming "Bear"
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2014, 07:51:40 AM »

Bill caught some fish, but he is a "catch and release" fly fisherman. One 15" Rainbow at 1000 Island Lake was impressive. Many Brookies in the streams also. No rain, fantastic weather. Probably good thing we chose the 26 mile route and not the longer 35 mile option down to Devils Postpile. A shower came through Monday after we headed home. My body held up great, except for some back pain - I will have a modern pack for the next hike.  :thumbsup:

Mr.B

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2014, 03:45:11 PM »

Bill caught some fish, but he is a "catch and release" fly fisherman. One 15" Rainbow at 1000 Island Lake was impressive. Many Brookies in the streams also. No rain, fantastic weather. Probably good thing we chose the 26 mile route and not the longer 35 mile option down to Devils Postpile. A shower came through Monday after we headed home. My body held up great, except for some back pain - I will have a modern pack for the next hike.  :thumbsup:

Bill says we will have trout for dinner. I've heard that before :)

WTH?

The Bear Whisperer

• aka - Screaming "Bear"
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2015, 05:29:50 PM »

Time for more conditioning.
Today I hiked Jones/Whites Creek loop out of Galena below Mt Rose. Pretty nice 7.8 miler with gobs of elevation. I went ccw as it was a more gradual climb. Definitely more strenuous than Ophir Creek trail which I hike a lot and like. Another strenuous trail in Tahoe Basin was Marlette Creek. Short 4 miles but unrelentingly steep. Watch out for mtn bikes hauling ass down that one. Hiked Thomas Creek trail out of Reno to the water fall. It's out in the open sun part of the way. uuuh
Mt Tallac, Mt Rose? not yet
I can't wait to try my new ULA backpack. Trekking poles really help, and their not just for old farts! Lots of new light weight upgrades to test this year. Hoping to do a few 3 nighters and one good week-long hike.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5