Norcal Jeepers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Tapatalk is still having problems starting new threads, but you can still reply to old threads

Welcome to Norcal Jeepers!
Welcome to Norcal Jeepers! It looks like you're not registered yet. As a guest you are missing out on a bunch of great content that is only viewable once you register. To register, simply follow the link below and fill out some information about yourself. It only takes a few minutes!

Click here to register now!

Author Topic: Backpacks for Everyday and Hiking Use  (Read 693 times)

pdangerp

Backpacks for Everyday and Hiking Use
« on: November 30, 2011, 01:01:02 AM »

I'm looking at some backpacks for christmas. I want to get something I can use for daily hauling / overnight stays at a friend's house / or hiking around the woods. I'm looking at the Maxpedition Falcon II, but I would like to hear what everyone else thinks.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/maxpedition-falcon-ii-backpack-falcon-ii-backpack-0513.html

connor0770

Re: Backpacks for Everyday and Hiking Use
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 01:13:59 AM »

if your looking for a goodback pack that you can take on overnighters.. I would go with an Osprey. SUPER lightweight and really durable. Great packs

I would probably go with the Talon. Good overnight/day use bag
http://www.ospreypacks.com/en/product/multi-use/talon_44
-97 TJ, 35's, Currie 4" lift, Dana 30 w/ ARB, 8.8, Trail Gear Front Bumper With w/ XRC8, LOD Tire Carrier, UCF Tummy Tuck, Smittybuilt Corners, Poison Spider Sliders

pdangerp

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 02:23:22 AM »

That pack is a little much. I want something that I can take on a small day hike or carry to work.

The Bear Whisperer

• aka - Screaming "Bear"
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 09:34:23 AM »

Hi Patrick; that pack looks like it would hold alot, but if you are planning on hiking I would get something with a better center of gravity. I would get something with a hip belt like Connor suggested. CamelBack has some nice ones with hydration bladders. I've backpacked some long trips and the wrong pack will surely detract from your day.
51 CJ3-A, 4.3 TBI Chevy, SM420, Dana 18TC, D30/44, 4.27:1 Gears = 74:1 Yukon Front Axles and Hubs, Detroit Fr / E-Locker Rr, 8K winch, HD steering, Viair 550C, 100% LED - VisionX headlights, Rigid Light-bar, DOT Fogs, Grote tail, Soft Top, Heater, CB/Ham/Stereo, 35"KM-2's, ~3" up, Rubicon Express YJ springs on the rear

connor0770

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 11:24:58 AM »

That pack is a little much. I want something that I can take on a small day hike or carry to work.

Ok then i would go with maybe a Talon 33 or 22.  Either way like Doug said, if you plan on using it alot, its always nice to have a hip belt. I use a camelback for snowboarding and day hikes.. i would hate life if i didnt have the hip belt! something nice and light is always nice.  Oh and i wouldnt even consider a backpack without room for a bladder. Its just so useful
-97 TJ, 35's, Currie 4" lift, Dana 30 w/ ARB, 8.8, Trail Gear Front Bumper With w/ XRC8, LOD Tire Carrier, UCF Tummy Tuck, Smittybuilt Corners, Poison Spider Sliders

pdangerp

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 12:52:43 PM »

The one I showed has both bladder and hip belt

CMARJEEP

• Connor #1
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 02:40:52 PM »

I have one of these:

http://www.rei.com/product/811583/kelty-redwing-50-pack

Its a great pack. It has a lot of pockets and is very comfortable. I used it for SAR and regularly carried 40-50 pounds in it and it has held up great.
2001 WJ mallcrawler / 2.5" OME lift / ARB front bumper with Warn M8000 / KOR Sliders / 31" Treadwright MTRs

pdangerp

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 04:01:17 PM »

I do like Kelty. The one I have now is a Kelty glacier and I've had it for almost 10 years. I only want a new one because the waterproof liner is delaminating.

pdangerp

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2011, 08:37:24 PM »

I went to the store and checked out backpacks. I like the Kelty redwing 50, the rei lookout 40, and the Kelty redwing 44. What do you guys think?

connor0770

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2011, 09:01:20 PM »

I went to the store and checked out backpacks. I like the Kelty redwing 50, the rei lookout 40, and the Kelty redwing 44. What do you guys think?

the lookout 40 is nice but if i can remember right theres no room for a sleeping bag in it. Didnt you want an overnight bag?  Kelty makes good packs, just a lil heavy compared to others on the market.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 01:30:53 AM by CMARJEEP »

CMARJEEP

• Connor #1
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2011, 01:31:10 AM »

the lookout 40 is nice but if i can remember right theres no room for a sleeping bag in it. Didnt you want an overnight bag?  Kelty makes good packs, just a lil heavy compared to others on the market.

He said overnight stays at a friends house not in the woods.

The Lookout 40 is a nice pack too. The best thing to do is to go into REI and try them on. They have weights that you can put in the packs so you can walk around and test it out. And if you end up not liking it you can take it back and get another one no problem.

I bought the older model Lookout when I went to Europe for a month. It was a great pack it was just a little too small. After I put my camera and a jacket in it there wasn't much room left for anything else. So when I got back I took it back and exchanged it for the Kelty which I've had since. I think the problem is a lot of packs these days, like the Lookout, are very tall and narrow whereas the Kelty is a little wider which gives you some more room.
2001 WJ mallcrawler / 2.5" OME lift / ARB front bumper with Warn M8000 / KOR Sliders / 31" Treadwright MTRs

pdangerp

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2011, 02:31:07 AM »

Interesting. Thank you.

The Bear Whisperer

• aka - Screaming "Bear"
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2011, 09:03:09 AM »

I do like Kelty. The one I have now is a Kelty glacier and I've had it for almost 10 years. I only want a new one because the waterproof liner is delaminating.

Here you go. http://www.rei.com/product/743069/outdoor-products-packframe-poncho-56-x-94 Just kidding; but not entirely a bad idea. I am partial to Kelty also. I have had the same external frame Kelty for over 30 years and hundreds of miles of backpacking. Old fashion but tough. With a tall pack you can get the heavy stuff up high and forward for agility and back comfort. Are you looking for a large daypack with sinch straps for a sleeping bag or something where everything fits inside?
51 CJ3-A, 4.3 TBI Chevy, SM420, Dana 18TC, D30/44, 4.27:1 Gears = 74:1 Yukon Front Axles and Hubs, Detroit Fr / E-Locker Rr, 8K winch, HD steering, Viair 550C, 100% LED - VisionX headlights, Rigid Light-bar, DOT Fogs, Grote tail, Soft Top, Heater, CB/Ham/Stereo, 35"KM-2's, ~3" up, Rubicon Express YJ springs on the rear

pdangerp

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2011, 02:09:12 PM »

That guy looks like he's about to occupy Norte dame

pdangerp

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2011, 02:10:55 PM »

Why do all the osprey packs have a zipper at the bottom? It makes the pack into a tunnel so it can hold an infinite amount of stuff?

connor0770

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2011, 02:25:52 PM »

Why do all the osprey packs have a zipper at the bottom? It makes the pack into a tunnel so it can hold an infinite amount of stuff?

Funny part is, its the best idea ever. Ever have something at the bottom of your pack that you need but dont want to take everything out?  theres your solution. Its actually built for your sleeping bag, but if you dont have one, you could put a jacket down there or something. 

TWDJ

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2011, 12:44:14 AM »

Almost, what you need is always at the bottom.  This way, there is a way to get at it without unpacking everything.

I have an old Kelty ... don't recall the model but is 6000sq", hip belt, adjusters, the whole deal.  Packed 80# for an outing when I was a boy scout leader.
=====

OBX-resQ

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2011, 11:17:07 AM »

OK I am Packed for an overnight trip..Where we going???

When was the last time Toyota won a war???

Mr.B

• "But officer, it was a Subaru!"
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2011, 11:38:38 AM »

Are you inside the trunk? I'm thinking, yes.
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

You're a super genius....
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein