Norcal Jeepers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Tapatalk is still having problems starting new threads, but you can still reply to old threads

Welcome to Norcal Jeepers!
Welcome to Norcal Jeepers! It looks like you're not registered yet. As a guest you are missing out on a bunch of great content that is only viewable once you register. To register, simply follow the link below and fill out some information about yourself. It only takes a few minutes!

Click here to register now!

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Summer Hiking  (Read 17050 times)

RockWoRM

• LJ's do it longer
  • Supporting Member
Re: Summer Hiking
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2018, 09:34:15 PM »

I've taken a couple more BP trips with my new gear and comfort makes all the difference.
So what is new and what is the latest and greatest? I still have, (and just for the record, I'm not planning any kind of trips until I know my conditioning, etc.) an older aluminum frame pack. But at the time I though it comfy enough and it's purdy light. It's got a ton of room, and like Ben said... could prolly pack it with 50+lbs of stuff easily.
As far as bucket lists for trails... I don't know why, but I'd kinda like to take a crack @ Yosemite Falls trail!  :eek: Couple thousand ft. straight up almost, but it looks like it can be done in a day. So obviously that is not a BP deal. But I think that would be cool.
There is also another loop trail in the John Muir wilderness I've always wanted to do that intersects with a section of the PCT and comes back into Lake Edison. That could be done in 2-3 days. We shall see... since I thought the Joint trail in Moab was gonna kill me!  :rofl:
'05 LJR, 4.0, HT, AC, 6sp, 5.13 D44's, Alloy shafts, RC long arm w/6" MC dual rate coils, All MC armor, Warn 9.5, OEM front bumper, Rockhard rear swing out, ProComp bolt in int. cage. CB

Mr.B

• "But officer, it was a Subaru!"
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2018, 10:30:03 PM »

I can't even imagine putting 50 lbs. on my back anymore. I doubt you can either Randy. Those two trips in Yosemite were back when I was in my 30's. The first one was back before my wife and I were married. We started in the valley, and hiked up to the top of Nevada Falls. We were supposed to hike to Tuolumne Meadows. By the time we got to the 2500' top, we were done. So we just hung out the next day, and went back down on the third day. If anyone tries to tell you that going down is harder than going up, they're fucking lying.

The second trip,(on our honeymoon) we had a plan. We started in Tuolumne Meadows, and hiked down to the valley. We spent the first night in High Sierra Campground, and second at Nevada Falls. A much easier hike, and very fulfilling.

There was one fault in our plan. The park had yet to start their shuttle service back to Tuolumne Meadows. We had to hitchhike back to the car. :peep:
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

You're a super genius....
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein

RockWoRM

• LJ's do it longer
  • Supporting Member
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2018, 08:46:21 AM »

Lol, I don't plan to put 50lbs into a pack... just meant it has the cargo space. All said and done... it boils down to the legs, the back and cardio! We shall see. Like I said... bucket list. Doesn't mean it will happen any time soon.  :biggrin:
'05 LJR, 4.0, HT, AC, 6sp, 5.13 D44's, Alloy shafts, RC long arm w/6" MC dual rate coils, All MC armor, Warn 9.5, OEM front bumper, Rockhard rear swing out, ProComp bolt in int. cage. CB

RockWoRM

• LJ's do it longer
  • Supporting Member
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2018, 05:17:43 PM »

Well, definitely we'll have to chat about all this in Moab.  I can't even remember what brand my pack is? (it's out in the shop) I do need a good down bag tho... but one that is long enough for my fat arse. Last time I packed to where I mentioned, I prolly DID have 50+ lbs of crap on my back. But I was a young strapping stud back then... not a broke'n down old fat guy like now.  :peep:
 As far as Bear mace... naw... been up in these hills all my life and I could give a rip about bears.  :shaking: I'll carry a gun before I'll carry mace, and I typically don't carry a gun. Fishing pole, yes... gun... we'll see.  :biggrin:

Mist trail... that is the falls (Vernal) on the Merced river and down stream from Nevada falls. That is a very short hike. Prolly done it a dozen times in the past. Yosemite Falls starts from the valley floor and shoots straight up to the top of Yosemite Falls. I do not believe permits are required for day hikes. IIRC it is 4 miles one way. Zig zagging back and forth thu the rocks up to the top. Never done that one. Would be a challenge for a fat man... but I'd like to try.  :cheers2:

I've never heard of LaConti canyon, but the route I am referring to is going up out of Edison lake, up thru Graveyard Meadows, up thru Goodale Pass and then over Silver pass and back down the PCT to one of the forks of the San Joaquin river and then back down to Edison Lake. 25-30 miles over all IIRC.
But Speaking of Graveyard meadows... FREAKING AWESOME!!!!! Been going there since I was knee high. It sits in-between two mtn's and is about a half mile long and 2-3 football fields wide. Just gorgeous!! I used to take my old FJ-40 up there all the time when that 4x4 trail was still open. Graveyard was the boundry of the JM wilderness. But in the early 80's they moved the wilderness boundary down to Edison Lake and thus closing the trail. And just FYI, that same wilderness expansion almost closed the Dusy/Ershim trial too, but the clubs banded together and got the right of way to keep Dusy open. I still totally disagree with the wilderness expansion (i.e. Sierra Club) b/c there is 5 miles of absolutely nothing but typical forest between Edison and Graveyard... but it is what it is.  :shaking:

RockWoRM

• LJ's do it longer
  • Supporting Member
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2018, 07:08:55 PM »

Ropes?>Climbing>?  Confucius say... yu clazy!  :eek:

Where you have been is waaaaay south of what I was talking about.

try this...

https://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=37.42152,-118.94648&z=13&b=t

and this satellite view. Graveyard is easily seen. Devils bathtub to the NW

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.4116323,-118.9599051,7371m/data=!3m1!1e3

all said and done... everywhere up and down the Sierra's is gorgeous. this is just where I purdy much grew up.  :thumbsup:

Mr.B

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2018, 10:57:05 PM »

Yeah it is gorgeous. I used to go camping, hiking and fishing out of Big Pine campground. It was right next to Glacier Lodge. I understand it burned down some years back. :shaking:
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein

RockWoRM

• LJ's do it longer
  • Supporting Member
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2018, 11:07:33 AM »

yeah, you're prolly right... 2 or 3 days when I was 20!  :biggrin:

But there is always the nuclear option. The Edison pack station!  :rofl: Take the horses/pack mules up to Goodale and then it is a easy hike all down hill.  :biggrin: Or just have them do a drop @ Goodale and it is still down hill. Of course that would require getting up to Goodale by night. lol. Again, I know I could do it in the 'old'n days'! haha.
It would prolly take me a day just to get to Graveyard now.  :shaking:

Just for the halibut. Take a look at the map again. Just above and to the east of Graveyard on the ridge to the east you'll see Arrowhead lake. (on the satellite map it looks just like an arrowhead. you may need to zoom in a bit) Almost due north of that on the same ridge is Feather lake. Great fishing! Back in the day, I could hike that in a day! I've taken Debbie and my daughter there on the horses several times. Way easier on the horses... still a long day, tho.

RockWoRM

• LJ's do it longer
  • Supporting Member
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2018, 08:12:11 AM »

Well... I went up to the Dinkey Lakes wilderness area Sat. Hiked my fat arse up to Mystery Lake to fish. That was a dud. So I then  hiked up to Sweed Lake. Just took a day pack and my fishing stuff. Don't think I'll be doing that Graveyard trip any time soon!  :shaking:  I 'maybe' did 5 miles total and by the time I got back to the Jeep my legs were rubber!  :rofl:
The good news is I didn't stroke out and I at least caught a few fish! If I keep trying to get into better shape, I think I could prolly do that whole loop... which I have never done. Just the 2 lakes mentioned. Great scenery and mostly not a bad hike for most of the trail. Just a few good inclines and then it mellows a bit. This loop for sure could be done in 2 days.
What do you think, Doug? Wanna try it later this summer.  :biggrin:

Just one downside item... I did pick up a Kelty down bag this spring. Tried it out. Even tho I got the extra long version. Barely could get the stupid thing zipped! Too freaking narrow! WTF?!  :pissed: So now I'll prolly have to fork out another couple hundred (or more) to find a larger size down bag!!!  :shaking:

Oh, btw... tried a pack of dry food for the first time. Got the Ham n' Egg breakfast one.  Not great, but not bad. Could have used some salt and pepper that I did not have.  :shaking:

Camilo98

• Colombiano
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2018, 03:41:42 PM »

My wife, my daughter (19mo), and I went up and backpack the Loon Lake trail (south part of the lake) about two weeks ago. Trail is about 4mi to the campground on the east side of the lake. The "backpacking" campground is near the boating only campground on that side.
Great hike, very minimal elevation change, and the water was spectacular! We took a campsite with a table right next to the water. I recommend this hike for a long day hike (with no kids) or a one night stay. If you go further you can make it all the way to spider or buck lake as well.
Overall our first backpacking trip as a family of 3 + the dog went great and looking forward to more backcountry trips.
@cam_cam_tech

RockWoRM

• LJ's do it longer
  • Supporting Member
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2018, 08:29:10 PM »

Interested?
yes... in a trip report.  :biggrin:

and pics...  :thumbsup:

Mr.B

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2018, 10:22:57 AM »

Ha. We are a day behind already. The Jeep trip thru the Rubicon was full of issues (report later).

:popcorn:

Mr.B

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2018, 03:23:42 PM »

Nice trip report Doug.

One question though, doesn't anyone wear winch gloves but me?

Two Beers

« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2018, 05:45:34 PM »

One question though, doesn't anyone wear winch gloves but me?

Prior to the accident, Bill hadn't been touching the cable.  As is frequently the case with an accident the perfect storm of things all happened at once. He decided one time to move the cable (I was stopped) at the exact same time my rig decided to slide backwards off a slick rock.

Doug's report is accurate.  I made it down the Big Sluice to the base of Cadillac Hill in what I thought was pretty good time, but Cadillac Hill took several hours.

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2018, 09:54:54 PM »

Gloves don't prevent pinches.  Ever pull a finger out of someones glove?  Amazing how tight those suckers get in there.

Two Beers

« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2018, 08:33:38 PM »

Nice!  I wasn't sure if you'd go with the predicted wet weather.

Mr.B

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2018, 11:06:00 AM »

Those are great pictures.

RockWoRM

• LJ's do it longer
  • Supporting Member
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2018, 03:01:55 PM »

Man, I almost forgot about this thread.   :biggrin:

Thanks for the pics! Bummer on the other Rubi trip. At least in Sept. when Bob and I were there the new PS pump and box did well. (knock, knock.  :knock:)

Ran up to Chicken rock camping area on the Dusy trail this last weekend... fishing suked! Oh well. Freak'n cold, tho. Tried my back pack bag just for the hey of it (rated 20*) and about mid way thru the night it got cold, (down to freezing) so pulled my regular bag over the top and was ok. It is really about a 35* bag at best to stay comfy. Prolly it for this year in the mountains. Maybe another desert Calico trip later.

Yeah, I still need to get into condition/shape to even remotely do what you do Doug, but I'd really like to try the Dinkey Lakes Wilderness loop next summer, if you'd consider coming down this way? You can even bring the Jeep and then we could do Swamp lake loop in the Jeeps. A 2 for 1 trip!  :biggrin: :cheers2:

RockWoRM

• LJ's do it longer
  • Supporting Member
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2018, 08:09:33 AM »

Yeah, my 15* bag was marginal at freezing temps also. I think they rate them for survival, not comfort. My mat only has a 4.7 R  rating. I wear a base layer, beanie and dry socks at night. It's definitely warmer in a tent not dealing with wind chill.
This last overnight-er we just hung our food. Loaded with 2L of water my pack was under the 25lb goal.  :thumbsup: 
Randy, I need to fill some gaps in the PCT down your way. Maybe we can find something next summer.

ULTRA4 Fri and Sat then need to fix TwoBeer's rear diff.
Well, that Graveyard loop I mentioned earlier in this thread is something I've always wanted to do and the back half is PCT. I'd really have to buckle down on the conditioning for that one!  :biggrin:
Then my friend Leonard, who came with my on the '15 Moab trip, wants to go to Lake Italy... that is about Half way between Florence lake and Edison lake on the PCT. Me think he clazy! I did a section of that back in my twenties and that is a looooong way back there! Awesome scenery, tho. He says he has a friend with horses. Even then it is a 2 day ride ONE WAY!!! We'll see if he makes that happen! lol.
Then again, depending on what dates, some of the 4x4 trails could be open.

RockWoRM

• LJ's do it longer
  • Supporting Member
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2019, 06:23:27 PM »

Kudo's to you for doing that... me thinks it's a bit out of my league. Although I'm still going to try to do a couple short trips here locally. Problem is, I really have no one that would do it. Most of my friends my age are half crippled and the other half is not interested. Kinda like snow skiing, I usually go by myself. 

Mr.B

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2019, 09:48:52 PM »

"Most of my friends my age are half crippled"

That would be me. I spent 31 years down on my knees, praying to the God of Xerox. I can still hike, but I don't think skiing is in my future anymore. I also don't think a 40-50# pack will work too well either. Day trips, I think I could still do that.

Pages: 1 [2] 3