Norcal Jeepers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Tapatalk is still having problems starting new threads, but you can still reply to old threads

Welcome to Norcal Jeepers!
Welcome to Norcal Jeepers! It looks like you're not registered yet. As a guest you are missing out on a bunch of great content that is only viewable once you register. To register, simply follow the link below and fill out some information about yourself. It only takes a few minutes!

Click here to register now!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Summer Hiking  (Read 9842 times)

RockWoRM

• LJ's do it longer
  • Supporting Member
Re: Summer Hiking
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2018, 11:07:33 AM »

yeah, you're prolly right... 2 or 3 days when I was 20!  :biggrin:

But there is always the nuclear option. The Edison pack station!  :rofl: Take the horses/pack mules up to Goodale and then it is a easy hike all down hill.  :biggrin: Or just have them do a drop @ Goodale and it is still down hill. Of course that would require getting up to Goodale by night. lol. Again, I know I could do it in the 'old'n days'! haha.
It would prolly take me a day just to get to Graveyard now.  :shaking:

Just for the halibut. Take a look at the map again. Just above and to the east of Graveyard on the ridge to the east you'll see Arrowhead lake. (on the satellite map it looks just like an arrowhead. you may need to zoom in a bit) Almost due north of that on the same ridge is Feather lake. Great fishing! Back in the day, I could hike that in a day! I've taken Debbie and my daughter there on the horses several times. Way easier on the horses... still a long day, tho.
'05 LJR, 4.0, HT, AC, 6sp, 5.13 D44's, Alloy shafts, RC long arm w/6" MC dual rate coils, All MC armor, Warn 9.5, OEM front bumper, Rockhard rear swing out, ProComp bolt in int. cage. CB

RockWoRM

• LJ's do it longer
  • Supporting Member
« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2018, 08:12:11 AM »

Well... I went up to the Dinkey Lakes wilderness area Sat. Hiked my fat arse up to Mystery Lake to fish. That was a dud. So I then  hiked up to Sweed Lake. Just took a day pack and my fishing stuff. Don't think I'll be doing that Graveyard trip any time soon!  :shaking:  I 'maybe' did 5 miles total and by the time I got back to the Jeep my legs were rubber!  :rofl:
The good news is I didn't stroke out and I at least caught a few fish! If I keep trying to get into better shape, I think I could prolly do that whole loop... which I have never done. Just the 2 lakes mentioned. Great scenery and mostly not a bad hike for most of the trail. Just a few good inclines and then it mellows a bit. This loop for sure could be done in 2 days.
What do you think, Doug? Wanna try it later this summer.  :biggrin:

Just one downside item... I did pick up a Kelty down bag this spring. Tried it out. Even tho I got the extra long version. Barely could get the stupid thing zipped! Too freaking narrow! WTF?!  :pissed: So now I'll prolly have to fork out another couple hundred (or more) to find a larger size down bag!!!  :shaking:

Oh, btw... tried a pack of dry food for the first time. Got the Ham n' Egg breakfast one.  Not great, but not bad. Could have used some salt and pepper that I did not have.  :shaking:
'05 LJR, 4.0, HT, AC, 6sp, 5.13 D44's, Alloy shafts, RC long arm w/6" MC dual rate coils, All MC armor, Warn 9.5, OEM front bumper, Rockhard rear swing out, ProComp bolt in int. cage. CB

Camilo98

• Colombiano
« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2018, 03:41:42 PM »

My wife, my daughter (19mo), and I went up and backpack the Loon Lake trail (south part of the lake) about two weeks ago. Trail is about 4mi to the campground on the east side of the lake. The "backpacking" campground is near the boating only campground on that side.
Great hike, very minimal elevation change, and the water was spectacular! We took a campsite with a table right next to the water. I recommend this hike for a long day hike (with no kids) or a one night stay. If you go further you can make it all the way to spider or buck lake as well.
Overall our first backpacking trip as a family of 3 + the dog went great and looking forward to more backcountry trips.
@cam_cam_tech

The Bear Whisperer

• aka - Screaming "Bear"
« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2018, 08:56:31 AM »

I really slacked off in June and am paying the price. Last month I hiked from Spooner Summit to Snow Valley Peak, 12 miles RT with about 2400 elevation gain. This was a test hike for an upcoming BP trip. Failed the test - legs and cardio were fine but blistered my toes and had a lot of pain in my hips. A week later I hit it again with new hiking shoes and my Injinji toe socks = no problem. (I also ate 3 Advil about 30 min before as good measure). Since then I have been taking at least one 8 mile hike per week to maintain my conditioning. Cruising along pretty good again  :thumbsup:
After my daughter's wedding and Rubicon trip I will be taking a 33 mile trek in the Desolation Wilderness.
https://www.hikingproject.com/trail/7020483/trt-echo-lakes-to-barker-pass   Interested?
51 CJ3-A, 4.3 TBI Chevy, SM420, Dana 18TC, D30/44, 4.27:1 Gears = 74:1 Yukon Front Axles and Hubs, Detroit Fr / E-Locker Rr, 8K winch, HD steering, Viair 550C, 100% LED - VisionX headlights, Rigid Light-bar, DOT Fogs, Grote tail, Soft Top, Heater, CB/Ham/Stereo, 35"KM-2's, ~3" up, Rubicon Express YJ springs on the rear

RockWoRM

• LJ's do it longer
  • Supporting Member
« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2018, 08:29:10 PM »

Interested?
yes... in a trip report.  :biggrin:

and pics...  :thumbsup:

The Bear Whisperer

• aka - Screaming "Bear"
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2018, 06:59:39 AM »

yes... in a trip report.  :biggrin:

and pics...  :thumbsup:
Ha. We are a day behind already. The Jeep trip thru the Rubicon was full of issues (report later).
51 CJ3-A, 4.3 TBI Chevy, SM420, Dana 18TC, D30/44, 4.27:1 Gears = 74:1 Yukon Front Axles and Hubs, Detroit Fr / E-Locker Rr, 8K winch, HD steering, Viair 550C, 100% LED - VisionX headlights, Rigid Light-bar, DOT Fogs, Grote tail, Soft Top, Heater, CB/Ham/Stereo, 35"KM-2's, ~3" up, Rubicon Express YJ springs on the rear

Mr.B

• "But officer, it was a Subaru!"
  • Administrator
« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2018, 10:22:57 AM »

Ha. We are a day behind already. The Jeep trip thru the Rubicon was full of issues (report later).

:popcorn:
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

You're a super genius....
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein

The Bear Whisperer

• aka - Screaming "Bear"
« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2018, 11:05:05 AM »

I'll combine the trip reports here. Rubicon: Two Beers my brother and I met up with NYCJeep and his friend Joby in Meyers. We entered thru Wentworth so Jason could experience that route. Straight up Postpile to Little Sluice. Large group struggling there so we bypassed left and leapfrogged them. Passed a group of Land Cruisers doing serious repairs plus witnessed a front diff give up on one that was still moving. Not to laugh though, as we were doing the tough ledges past Buck Mark blew his rear pinion. I damn near rolled mine on the same slippery ledge. Lots of sand on the granite made it difficult. We removed Marks rear driveshaft at camp and thankfully it rolled without grinding or binding. We aired up his rear tires hopeful to have an easier time with fwd. Mark, Bill and I had a relaxing day at the lake with two Kayaks. Jason and Joby got very sick that day, assumed it to be food poisoning from the night before at the Grand Sierra Hotel. They felt somewhat better for the ride out. FWD proved to be inadequate and Mark was spinning tires right off the bat. Once over the hump Big Sluice wasn't bad. Cadillac Hill was a nightmare though. We had to winch most the way up. It didn't take long to realize a standard battery was not up to the task. Winch tco was busy and engine would cut out from low voltage also. A lot of waiting to recharge battery with alternator. Luckily we only encountered a pair of vehicles coming down and they were pulled off to the side for us. Once up Mark only required an occasional tug and we made it out in good time. He drove it home. Oh, one serious indecent. Bill went to flip the winch cable over a rock just as Marks rig decided to slip back. The cable pinched his finger against a tree and opened it up to the bone. We drove home to get cleaned up, ate then went to the ER. Got out of there at midnight, eight sutures later.

Okay, I'll shorten the hike report. We delayed the start one day. The PCT trail from Echo Summit thru the Desolation Wilderness was amazing. One night at each of two lakes, then on towards Dicks Pass. 14" Brook Trout at Susie Lake made Bill happier. Not happy enough to go up the pass though. He bailed on me and hiked out to Fallen Leaf Lake. This was a good decision for him. The climb up to 9377' would have killed him. He did not do any preconditioning as I did. I pushed myself hard with 12 and 18 mile days. I should have taken one of the exits after Dicks Pass as the trail became forested and boring. If I remember correctly, Matt mentioned in Moab that his brother was hiking the PCT. I actually may have met him on the pass. I spoke with this guy for a bit and he sure reminded me of Matt. Anyway, with my marathon push I was home two days ahead of plan. Lesser hikes are in my future. I will post a few pics later.

The Bear Whisperer

• aka - Screaming "Bear"
« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2018, 03:11:59 PM »

PCT Desolation Wilderness

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Mr.B

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2018, 03:23:42 PM »

Nice trip report Doug.

One question though, doesn't anyone wear winch gloves but me?
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein

Two Beers

« Reply #50 on: September 25, 2018, 05:45:34 PM »

One question though, doesn't anyone wear winch gloves but me?

Prior to the accident, Bill hadn't been touching the cable.  As is frequently the case with an accident the perfect storm of things all happened at once. He decided one time to move the cable (I was stopped) at the exact same time my rig decided to slide backwards off a slick rock.

Doug's report is accurate.  I made it down the Big Sluice to the base of Cadillac Hill in what I thought was pretty good time, but Cadillac Hill took several hours.

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: September 25, 2018, 09:54:54 PM »

Gloves don't prevent pinches.  Ever pull a finger out of someones glove?  Amazing how tight those suckers get in there.

The Bear Whisperer

• aka - Screaming "Bear"
« Reply #52 on: September 26, 2018, 10:32:14 AM »

I had a pair of gloves out. Like Tim said, they wouldn't have helped much. Good for keeping your hands clean and maybe preventing a frayed cable from sticking you. A second earlier or later he would have been fine. Shit happens.

The next hike will be Thursday 10/04 with my son Chris. What could possibly go wrong with numbers like that. It will be from Blue Lakes to Carson Pass or Carson Pass to Echo Lakes. I am examining trail profiles very closely.  :biggrin:

The Bear Whisperer

• aka - Screaming "Bear"
« Reply #53 on: October 07, 2018, 12:15:59 PM »

Blue Lakes (Tamarack TH) to Carson Pass HWY 88 was a very scenic section of the PCT. The grade over the first 9,000' pass was reasonable and the views were spectacular. The Red Lake Jeep road offers similar views to those not interested in hiking over the divide. It got pretty cold and we listened to light rain and snow all night. It was cool and clear both days though, great for hiking. The grade up the second 9K foot pass was much steeper and I needed to push hard. I thought the top would never come. I probably won't do 88 to 50 till next year, then I will have hiked from HWY 4 to Barker Pass. I've backpacked many miles between Independence and the Virginia Lakes. Some day I will fill in those sections as well. Mexico to Canada, forget it!

Two Beers

« Reply #54 on: October 07, 2018, 08:33:38 PM »

Nice!  I wasn't sure if you'd go with the predicted wet weather.

The Bear Whisperer

• aka - Screaming "Bear"
« Reply #55 on: October 08, 2018, 01:07:57 PM »

We waited one day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Mr.B

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: October 09, 2018, 11:06:00 AM »

Those are great pictures.

RockWoRM

• LJ's do it longer
  • Supporting Member
« Reply #57 on: October 16, 2018, 03:01:55 PM »

Man, I almost forgot about this thread.   :biggrin:

Thanks for the pics! Bummer on the other Rubi trip. At least in Sept. when Bob and I were there the new PS pump and box did well. (knock, knock.  :knock:)

Ran up to Chicken rock camping area on the Dusy trail this last weekend... fishing suked! Oh well. Freak'n cold, tho. Tried my back pack bag just for the hey of it (rated 20*) and about mid way thru the night it got cold, (down to freezing) so pulled my regular bag over the top and was ok. It is really about a 35* bag at best to stay comfy. Prolly it for this year in the mountains. Maybe another desert Calico trip later.

Yeah, I still need to get into condition/shape to even remotely do what you do Doug, but I'd really like to try the Dinkey Lakes Wilderness loop next summer, if you'd consider coming down this way? You can even bring the Jeep and then we could do Swamp lake loop in the Jeeps. A 2 for 1 trip!  :biggrin: :cheers2:

The Bear Whisperer

• aka - Screaming "Bear"
« Reply #58 on: October 18, 2018, 09:46:09 PM »

Yeah, my 15* bag was marginal at freezing temps also. I think they rate them for survival, not comfort. My mat only has a 4.7 R  rating. I wear a base layer, beanie and dry socks at night. It's definitely warmer in a tent not dealing with wind chill.
This last overnight-er we just hung our food. Loaded with 2L of water my pack was under the 25lb goal.  :thumbsup: 
Randy, I need to fill some gaps in the PCT down your way. Maybe we can find something next summer.

ULTRA4 Fri and Sat then need to fix TwoBeer's rear diff.

RockWoRM

• LJ's do it longer
  • Supporting Member
« Reply #59 on: October 19, 2018, 08:09:33 AM »

Yeah, my 15* bag was marginal at freezing temps also. I think they rate them for survival, not comfort. My mat only has a 4.7 R  rating. I wear a base layer, beanie and dry socks at night. It's definitely warmer in a tent not dealing with wind chill.
This last overnight-er we just hung our food. Loaded with 2L of water my pack was under the 25lb goal.  :thumbsup: 
Randy, I need to fill some gaps in the PCT down your way. Maybe we can find something next summer.

ULTRA4 Fri and Sat then need to fix TwoBeer's rear diff.
Well, that Graveyard loop I mentioned earlier in this thread is something I've always wanted to do and the back half is PCT. I'd really have to buckle down on the conditioning for that one!  :biggrin:
Then my friend Leonard, who came with my on the '15 Moab trip, wants to go to Lake Italy... that is about Half way between Florence lake and Edison lake on the PCT. Me think he clazy! I did a section of that back in my twenties and that is a looooong way back there! Awesome scenery, tho. He says he has a friend with horses. Even then it is a 2 day ride ONE WAY!!! We'll see if he makes that happen! lol.
Then again, depending on what dates, some of the 4x4 trails could be open.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5