Norcal Jeepers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Tapatalk is still having problems starting new threads, but you can still reply to old threads

Welcome to Norcal Jeepers!
Welcome to Norcal Jeepers! It looks like you're not registered yet. As a guest you are missing out on a bunch of great content that is only viewable once you register. To register, simply follow the link below and fill out some information about yourself. It only takes a few minutes!

Click here to register now!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Summer Hiking  (Read 13584 times)

The Bear Whisperer

• aka - Screaming "Bear"
Re: Summer Hiking
« Reply #60 on: February 06, 2019, 11:45:51 AM »

Randy, have you looked at the Rae Lakes Loop out of Zumwalt Mdws in Kings Canyon? I've been studying trail distances and profiles all winter. I am looking at leaving a car at Onion Valley and entering PCT from Horseshoe Meadows. I'd like to fill the gap from mile 750.2 to 795.9 on the PCT. I exited Baxter Pass on a previous hike from Bishop and the trail was not maintained. I would rather backtrack to Onion Valley to exit. My original plan was to tackle Mt Whitney from the west but total miles would become 81.1=not happening. Without Whitney the trip will still be 64.3 miles. Bear canisters are required in that section so my limit is seven days. This will be an aggressive goal considering I'll be going over many high passes including the highest on the entire PCT. (Forester Pass 13,200')
If anyone is interested in doing this late summer, let me know.

(14,505' Mt Whitney is still on my bucket list for when I grow up. It's 6,404' elevation gain in 10.2 miles, then back down!)
51 CJ3-A, 4.3 TBI Chevy, SM420, Dana 18TC, D30/44, 4.27:1 Gears = 74:1 Yukon Front Axles and Hubs, Detroit Fr / E-Locker Rr, 8K winch, HD steering, Viair 550C, 100% LED - VisionX headlights, Rigid Light-bar, DOT Fogs, Grote tail, Soft Top, Heater, CB/Ham/Stereo, 35"KM-2's, ~3" up, Rubicon Express YJ springs on the rear

RockWoRM

• LJ's do it longer
  • Supporting Member
« Reply #61 on: February 13, 2019, 06:23:27 PM »

Kudo's to you for doing that... me thinks it's a bit out of my league. Although I'm still going to try to do a couple short trips here locally. Problem is, I really have no one that would do it. Most of my friends my age are half crippled and the other half is not interested. Kinda like snow skiing, I usually go by myself. 
'05 LJR, 4.0, HT, AC, 6sp, 5.13 D44's, Alloy shafts, RC long arm w/6" MC dual rate coils, All MC armor, Warn 9.5, OEM front bumper, Rockhard rear swing out, ProComp bolt in int. cage. CB

Mr.B

• "But officer, it was a Subaru!"
  • Administrator
« Reply #62 on: February 13, 2019, 09:48:52 PM »

"Most of my friends my age are half crippled"

That would be me. I spent 31 years down on my knees, praying to the God of Xerox. I can still hike, but I don't think skiing is in my future anymore. I also don't think a 40-50# pack will work too well either. Day trips, I think I could still do that.
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

You're a super genius....
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein

The Bear Whisperer

• aka - Screaming "Bear"
« Reply #63 on: February 24, 2019, 01:45:55 PM »

I purchased my permit. If anyone is interested and capable of this difficult trek please let me know.

Enter Date: Sept 25 2019, Duration: six nights, distance: 66.8 miles, total up-hill gain: 13,687'
Entering at Horseshoe Meadows (Lone Pine, Ca) This includes a Day-hike up Mt Whitney. Exit Onion Valley

I have a detailed itinerary if you have questions. Mostly 10-12 mile days with lots of up-hill! I am 69 years old, so this could be an easy pace for you young guys. We'll see.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 07:31:52 AM by Screaming Bear »
51 CJ3-A, 4.3 TBI Chevy, SM420, Dana 18TC, D30/44, 4.27:1 Gears = 74:1 Yukon Front Axles and Hubs, Detroit Fr / E-Locker Rr, 8K winch, HD steering, Viair 550C, 100% LED - VisionX headlights, Rigid Light-bar, DOT Fogs, Grote tail, Soft Top, Heater, CB/Ham/Stereo, 35"KM-2's, ~3" up, Rubicon Express YJ springs on the rear

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #64 on: February 24, 2019, 03:52:40 PM »

I was thinking I'd join you, but I'm not sure you can carry me and my beer cooler that far.

The Bear Whisperer

• aka - Screaming "Bear"
« Reply #65 on: February 25, 2019, 12:52:20 PM »

I was thinking I'd join you, but I'm not sure you can carry me and my beer cooler that far.
Nope; I might die doing this but I can only think of one better way to go.  :thumbsup:

Here; you can do the trail from your couch. :25 to :45 is what I am doing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4D4TcgppD8&t=4614s

The Bear Whisperer

• aka - Screaming "Bear"
« Reply #66 on: April 18, 2019, 06:49:26 PM »

I've been testing some new gear trying to lighten my pack base weight. Sold my 2 lb Fly Creek UL-1 tent, too confining. Z-pack Duplex is the preferred tent at about 1 lb but $600 is a bit much. Nemo Hornet Elite or 2p might work. Altra trail runners are great.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Two Beers

« Reply #67 on: April 18, 2019, 09:35:09 PM »

I've been testing some new gear trying to lighten my pack base weight. Sold my 2 lb Fly Creek UL-1 tent, too confining. Z-pack Duplex is the preferred tent at about 1 lb but $600 is a bit much. Nemo Hornet Elite or 2p might work. Altra trail runners are great. [img width=483 height=860]https://uploads.tapatalk-

2018 Nemo Hornet 2P is on sale online at REI for $270.  Only weighs 1 lb 15 oz.

The Bear Whisperer

• aka - Screaming "Bear"
« Reply #68 on: April 18, 2019, 09:51:06 PM »

2018 Nemo Hornet 2P is on sale online at REI for $270.  Only weighs 1 lb 15 oz.
Amazon also has it for that price. REI member discount will help.  The Elite is lighter and has wider ridge design. I hope it goes on sale before I settle on a 2p. Moosejaw has great sales from time to time. 

The Bear Whisperer

• aka - Screaming "Bear"
« Reply #69 on: June 21, 2019, 06:40:15 PM »

The Hornet Elite is roomy enough and very lite. Picked up a few other comfort items that don't add much weight. Ultra lite pillow,  butt pad for sitting and sand gaiters to keep feet comfy.
I've worked my way up to 12 miles and 2000 ft elevation gain over the last couple months. Not sure I can do this seven days in a row. Wife is discouraging me on a regular basis. I'll keep taking conditioning hikes and see if this gets easier.

Two Beers

« Reply #70 on: June 26, 2019, 08:16:53 PM »

Wife is discouraging me on a regular basis. 

Grace is a smart woman.   ;D ;D ;D

The Bear Whisperer

• aka - Screaming "Bear"
« Reply #71 on: September 19, 2019, 08:10:13 AM »

Whitney backpacking trip: The weather outlook was looking favorable until I checked this morning. My base-camp will be at 11,500' and the planned day hike to the summit 14,508' will be on Sat 9/28. Gail force winds and 19* sounds life threatening. 28th forecast doesn't show yet but if it is more of the same I'm screwed. I've added an additional layer of clothing but not enough for this. (up to 28lbs now with 8 days food and water) It also will be impossible to set up a tent in that wind. Like to check Whitney off my bucket list after all my gear prep and conditioning, but....

Here is the link. Select F* and use the slider at the bottom of the graph.
https://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks/Mount-Whitney/forecasts/4418

Mr.B

• "But officer, it was a Subaru!"
  • Administrator
« Reply #72 on: September 19, 2019, 09:50:35 PM »

The 21st and the 24th look good.

White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

You're a super genius....
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein

The Bear Whisperer

• aka - Screaming "Bear"
« Reply #73 on: September 29, 2019, 10:05:00 PM »

Permit was purchased in advance so my entry date was on the 25th or cancel. This was after my nephews wedding in Yucca Valley and other fun so-cal activities. My car was dropped off at trails end but that wouldn't be an issue if I cancelled.
The weather forecast wasn't great. Everyone was pleading me to not risk it. I insisted on going. My wife was crying at the trail-head.
Within the first mile I came across a guy heading out with bad altitude sickness. First of many I encountered on the trail. Sea-level dwellers I guess. I pushed past the first night's camp and gained a day (killer day). Reached Crabtree Meadows Thurs for a Fri clear and calm Whitney assent. The forecast for Sunday was very bad. The smart thing to do was to bypass Whitney and crush a lot of miles. I was feeling great and the scenery was astounding. I mean amazing! I will post a link to pics when I upload them. Forester Pass's 13,200' seemed impossible, kinda like Shaffer Switchbacks in Moab but only three feet wide and much taller. Sat was even more difficult and the weather was brutal. Extreme wind was blowing in from the NW with fog pushing up the canyons. The temperature had plummeted and I would have been in serious trouble if I didn't make it over the very long, steep and exposed Kearsage Pass. The wind was knocking me over with unexpected gusts. What a feeling of accomplishment once on top. Four miles down to my car was a breeze, albeit a gale force breeze. Squeezed a 50 mile 7 day hike into 4 days. It was snowing on my drive home so I believe I made all good choices except maybe being so stubborn in the first place. Yeah yeah, people die up there. Surprised the wife by making it home for our 35th wedding anniversary. Bonus points  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 10:13:07 PM by Screaming Bear »

CJ-5 Renegade

• Supporting Member
« Reply #74 on: September 30, 2019, 09:21:35 AM »

Doug you are an animal
 Canít wait for the pictures good job

The Bear Whisperer

• aka - Screaming "Bear"
« Reply #75 on: September 30, 2019, 12:25:06 PM »

Doug you are an animal
 Canít wait for the pictures good job
Yep, crazy animal. I loaded the pics to my pc but they all needed editing before I send them to Imgur. Blind old fart couldn't see the camera display and had it on a wrong setting. Had to boost color and clarity to get them half decent. I tried to find a pocket super-zoom in Yucca Valley but didn't. Light weight is a requirement of course. This UL satire will keep you entertained in the mean time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oxpObyS4DE&feature=youtu.be
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 12:28:15 PM by Screaming Bear »

The Bear Whisperer

• aka - Screaming "Bear"
« Reply #76 on: September 30, 2019, 06:25:01 PM »

I am new to Imgur so lets see if this link works. Please excuse the poor quality. Time for a better camera.

https://imgur.com/a/g6ubHEd

CJ-5 Renegade

• Supporting Member
« Reply #77 on: September 30, 2019, 07:06:51 PM »

Amazing picture

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #78 on: October 01, 2019, 10:51:38 AM »

Wow, that looks like an awesome trip. 

Have you given any thought to getting a spot gps locator?  They're pretty inexpensive and you can set predetermined messages to send out or the obvious SOS with your coordinates.

The Bear Whisperer

• aka - Screaming "Bear"
« Reply #79 on: October 01, 2019, 11:39:42 AM »

Wow, that looks like an awesome trip. 

Have you given any thought to getting a spot gps locator?  They're pretty inexpensive and you can set predetermined messages to send out or the obvious SOS with your coordinates.
Mark has one but I didn't borrow it. Just think of the weight savings.  :hahaha:
Actually, lots of people I passed on the trail had them and I asked for weather updates. That is why I pushed hard to get over the final pass before the snow came in. Yes, awesome. Sorry I didn't have a better camera with me or at least had mine set on landscape mode instead of macro or whatever.  :shaking:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5