Norcal Jeepers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Tapatalk is still having problems starting new threads, but you can still reply to old threads

Welcome to Norcal Jeepers!
Welcome to Norcal Jeepers! It looks like you're not registered yet. As a guest you are missing out on a bunch of great content that is only viewable once you register. To register, simply follow the link below and fill out some information about yourself. It only takes a few minutes!

Click here to register now!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Summer Hiking  (Read 15131 times)

connor0770

Re: Summer Hiking
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2015, 07:49:33 AM »

You should hike castle peak. Slippery hike but worth the view. Get off at the boreal exit, take a right. Camp at the trailhead. Hike up the road then you will reach a split in the trail. Take a right up castle peak.   Also if you go straight instead if right it takes you to a winter cabin. I've gotten to stay there when I was in Boy Scouts. Pretty cool
-97 TJ, 35's, Currie 4" lift, Dana 30 w/ ARB, 8.8, Trail Gear Front Bumper With w/ XRC8, LOD Tire Carrier, UCF Tummy Tuck, Smittybuilt Corners, Poison Spider Sliders

Anticanman

• Sprung Under for Her Pleasure
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2015, 03:37:30 PM »

I just did the mist trail last month in Yosemite and stretched it to the top of Nevada falls. Highly recommended on a weekday.
Asian in stock JKU initiated wave... be jealous fool
I said screw it. I'm going for the tranny tonight.

norcal_chris

• always down to wheel
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2015, 12:21:33 PM »

+1 on castle peak.

Castle peak and half dome are my two favorite hikes
Ruined a perfectly good jeep.

The Bear Whisperer

• aka - Screaming "Bear"
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2017, 09:43:23 PM »

I've taken a couple more BP trips with my new gear and comfort makes all the difference. Anyway, no long winded description here but I came across this "What to do" topic and just wanted to pass it on. It explains how to Bear Whisper. Ha - I know that guy.

Bear Encounters
In contacts with humans, bears try to minimize personal harm. A bear becomes defensive in three situations: (1) when surprised, (2) when with young, and (3) when on a carcass or other food source.

If you see a bear in the distance
If the bear doesn’t see you, keep out of its sight, and detour as far as possible behind and downwind of the bear. If the bear sees you, retreat slowly and leave the area. If possible, slowly walk upwind to let your scent reach the bear. Regardless of the distance, never approach a bear.

If you see a bear at close range
Do not run, shout, or make sudden movements. Remain still, avoid eye contact, and talk quietly and calmly to the bear. Do not panic – your safety may depend on remaining calm.

If a bear charges you
Stand still; do not run. Charging bears often veer away or stop abruptly at the last second (bluff charge). If a bear makes physical contact, drop to the ground and play dead. Keep your pack on to help protect your body, clasp your hands over the back of your neck, and lie face down with your legs flat. Be still and stay silent to convince the bear that you are not a threat.

After the bear leaves
Wait several minutes before moving. Listen and look around cautiously before you get up to make certain the bear is no longer nearby.

It is Rattlesnakes that freak me out. I don't know what I would do. "Stay calm and get to a hospital" could be a stretch.
51 CJ3-A, 4.3 TBI Chevy, SM420, Dana 18TC, D30/44, 4.27:1 Gears = 74:1 Yukon Front Axles and Hubs, Detroit Fr / E-Locker Rr, 8K winch, HD steering, Viair 550C, 100% LED - VisionX headlights, Rigid Light-bar, DOT Fogs, Grote tail, Soft Top, Heater, CB/Ham/Stereo, 35"KM-2's, ~3" up, Rubicon Express YJ springs on the rear

Mr.B

• "But officer, it was a Subaru!"
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2017, 10:56:01 PM »

Interesting post.

In my experiences with bears, they've always run away when they saw me. In Yosemite, the rangers would tell you, if a bear was after your food, to bang pots together to scare them off.

I remember back when I went to summer camp. The counselors would tell us that if we were bitten by a rattle snake, to cut an X with a knife at the bite, and suck the poison out. Of course that would be if you could actually reach the bite with your mouth. And I always wondered why they were telling us that, because there's no rattle snakes in Minnesota. :shaking:
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

You're a super genius....
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein

The Bear Whisperer

• aka - Screaming "Bear"
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2017, 09:02:36 AM »

Yeah, that used to be the recommendation along with restricting the flow of venom with a tourniquet. Now a days they say don't cut and suck the venom with your mouth. You are likely to cause infection and risk ingestion through any sores you may have. I guess suction cups are okay but time wasted is the issue. I don't know how much time you have to get anti-venom administered.

I never saw any rattlesnakes in upstate NY, but almost stepped on a couple Copperheads. Plenty of rattlesnakes in Nevada.
51 CJ3-A, 4.3 TBI Chevy, SM420, Dana 18TC, D30/44, 4.27:1 Gears = 74:1 Yukon Front Axles and Hubs, Detroit Fr / E-Locker Rr, 8K winch, HD steering, Viair 550C, 100% LED - VisionX headlights, Rigid Light-bar, DOT Fogs, Grote tail, Soft Top, Heater, CB/Ham/Stereo, 35"KM-2's, ~3" up, Rubicon Express YJ springs on the rear

Mr.B

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2017, 11:56:40 AM »

The only two encounters I've had with rattlesnakes were both in SoCal, in the San Bernardino mountains.

I was hiking with a girlfriend on a mountain trail. We came over a slight incline, and there was a Rattler coiled up and ready to strike right in the middle of the trail. I turned and said run. I only got about 10 feet and turned around, and it wasn't chasing us. I turned back around, and my girlfriend was 100 yards down the path. :rofl: She was more of an urban girl. :biggrin:

The other time, I was riding my motorcycle through the fun twisty Hwy 2. Again coming over a slight incline in the road. The Rattler was coiled up on the yellow center line. I didn't have time to react in a safe way, so it took a shot at my leg. Of course I was probably going about 60 MPH, so it may have hit my exhaust pipe or rear tire. :hahaha:
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein

WJChris

• Four Badge WJ
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2017, 08:04:22 PM »

I believe I have heard or read you have hours for rattlesnake bites. A couple maybe.

pdangerp

« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2017, 08:59:50 AM »

Fucking hate bears.

The Bear Whisperer

• aka - Screaming "Bear"
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2017, 08:08:21 PM »

Fucking hate bears.
Ha, still pissed about losing those burritos to the Buck Island Bear? That guy hit up everyone that night. I remember eating cereal at 2am before he got that too. Stupid humans  :hahaha:

pdangerp

« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2017, 08:29:36 AM »

Ha, still pissed about losing those burritos to the Buck Island Bear? That guy hit up everyone that night. I remember eating cereal at 2am before he got that too. Stupid humans  :hahaha:
Yes, I am still mad at that bear. I figure a 12g slug should dispatch a black bear in case of another close call.

RockWoRM

• LJ's do it longer
  • Supporting Member
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2018, 09:34:15 PM »

I've taken a couple more BP trips with my new gear and comfort makes all the difference.
So what is new and what is the latest and greatest? I still have, (and just for the record, I'm not planning any kind of trips until I know my conditioning, etc.) an older aluminum frame pack. But at the time I though it comfy enough and it's purdy light. It's got a ton of room, and like Ben said... could prolly pack it with 50+lbs of stuff easily.
As far as bucket lists for trails... I don't know why, but I'd kinda like to take a crack @ Yosemite Falls trail!  :eek: Couple thousand ft. straight up almost, but it looks like it can be done in a day. So obviously that is not a BP deal. But I think that would be cool.
There is also another loop trail in the John Muir wilderness I've always wanted to do that intersects with a section of the PCT and comes back into Lake Edison. That could be done in 2-3 days. We shall see... since I thought the Joint trail in Moab was gonna kill me!  :rofl:
'05 LJR, 4.0, HT, AC, 6sp, 5.13 D44's, Alloy shafts, RC long arm w/6" MC dual rate coils, All MC armor, Warn 9.5, OEM front bumper, Rockhard rear swing out, ProComp bolt in int. cage. CB

Mr.B

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2018, 10:30:03 PM »

I can't even imagine putting 50 lbs. on my back anymore. I doubt you can either Randy. Those two trips in Yosemite were back when I was in my 30's. The first one was back before my wife and I were married. We started in the valley, and hiked up to the top of Nevada Falls. We were supposed to hike to Tuolumne Meadows. By the time we got to the 2500' top, we were done. So we just hung out the next day, and went back down on the third day. If anyone tries to tell you that going down is harder than going up, they're fucking lying.

The second trip,(on our honeymoon) we had a plan. We started in Tuolumne Meadows, and hiked down to the valley. We spent the first night in High Sierra Campground, and second at Nevada Falls. A much easier hike, and very fulfilling.

There was one fault in our plan. The park had yet to start their shuttle service back to Tuolumne Meadows. We had to hitchhike back to the car. :peep:

RockWoRM

• LJ's do it longer
  • Supporting Member
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2018, 08:46:21 AM »

Lol, I don't plan to put 50lbs into a pack... just meant it has the cargo space. All said and done... it boils down to the legs, the back and cardio! We shall see. Like I said... bucket list. Doesn't mean it will happen any time soon.  :biggrin:
'05 LJR, 4.0, HT, AC, 6sp, 5.13 D44's, Alloy shafts, RC long arm w/6" MC dual rate coils, All MC armor, Warn 9.5, OEM front bumper, Rockhard rear swing out, ProComp bolt in int. cage. CB

The Bear Whisperer

• aka - Screaming "Bear"
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2018, 09:00:57 AM »

So what is new and what is the latest and greatest? I still have, (and just for the record, I'm not planning any kind of trips until I know my conditioning, etc.) an older aluminum frame pack. But at the time I though it comfy enough and it's purdy light. It's got a ton of room, and like Ben said... could prolly pack it with 50+lbs of stuff easily.
As far as bucket lists for trails... I don't know why, but I'd kinda like to take a crack @ Yosemite Falls trail!  :eek: Couple thousand ft. straight up almost, but it looks like it can be done in a day. So obviously that is not a BP deal. But I think that would be cool.
There is also another loop trail in the John Muir wilderness I've always wanted to do that intersects with a section of the PCT and comes back into Lake Edison. That could be done in 2-3 days. We shall see... since I thought the Joint trail in Moab was gonna kill me!  :rofl:
In another thread here I listed some of my new ultra-lite gear. I replaced my 70's Kelty pack with a ULA Catalyst. The Kelty is light, an upgraded hip belt would have helped. With my posture I could never get the load close enough to my body. ULA is formed to a perfect fit. Pack weight was 26 lbs for a seven day trek including the required 3 lb bear canister. 50 lbs is too heavy!
I would definitely hike anywhere in Yosemite, though permits are in demand. Mist trail? I hiked from S. Lake out of Bishop way south and came out by the fish hatchery in Independence. I think that trail out of Edison is in LaConti Canyon. Fantastic.
Edit: http://www.norcaljeepers.co/index.php?topic=116.80
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 09:09:36 AM by Screaming Bear »

RockWoRM

• LJ's do it longer
  • Supporting Member
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2018, 05:17:43 PM »

Well, definitely we'll have to chat about all this in Moab.  I can't even remember what brand my pack is? (it's out in the shop) I do need a good down bag tho... but one that is long enough for my fat arse. Last time I packed to where I mentioned, I prolly DID have 50+ lbs of crap on my back. But I was a young strapping stud back then... not a broke'n down old fat guy like now.  :peep:
 As far as Bear mace... naw... been up in these hills all my life and I could give a rip about bears.  :shaking: I'll carry a gun before I'll carry mace, and I typically don't carry a gun. Fishing pole, yes... gun... we'll see.  :biggrin:

Mist trail... that is the falls (Vernal) on the Merced river and down stream from Nevada falls. That is a very short hike. Prolly done it a dozen times in the past. Yosemite Falls starts from the valley floor and shoots straight up to the top of Yosemite Falls. I do not believe permits are required for day hikes. IIRC it is 4 miles one way. Zig zagging back and forth thu the rocks up to the top. Never done that one. Would be a challenge for a fat man... but I'd like to try.  :cheers2:

I've never heard of LaConti canyon, but the route I am referring to is going up out of Edison lake, up thru Graveyard Meadows, up thru Goodale Pass and then over Silver pass and back down the PCT to one of the forks of the San Joaquin river and then back down to Edison Lake. 25-30 miles over all IIRC.
But Speaking of Graveyard meadows... FREAKING AWESOME!!!!! Been going there since I was knee high. It sits in-between two mtn's and is about a half mile long and 2-3 football fields wide. Just gorgeous!! I used to take my old FJ-40 up there all the time when that 4x4 trail was still open. Graveyard was the boundry of the JM wilderness. But in the early 80's they moved the wilderness boundary down to Edison Lake and thus closing the trail. And just FYI, that same wilderness expansion almost closed the Dusy/Ershim trial too, but the clubs banded together and got the right of way to keep Dusy open. I still totally disagree with the wilderness expansion (i.e. Sierra Club) b/c there is 5 miles of absolutely nothing but typical forest between Edison and Graveyard... but it is what it is.  :shaking:

The Bear Whisperer

• aka - Screaming "Bear"
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2018, 09:18:43 PM »

LeConte is way SE of Edison / Florence. IDK if this link works for you. If it does, you can drag the map around and zoom with the scroll wheel. My brother and I went over Knapsack Pass as a shortcut. Extreme climbing involved, ropes and dangerous  :eek:
https://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=37.09434,-118.5793&z=15&b=t 
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 09:23:37 PM by Screaming Bear »

RockWoRM

• LJ's do it longer
  • Supporting Member
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2018, 07:08:55 PM »

Ropes?>Climbing>?  Confucius say... yu clazy!  :eek:

Where you have been is waaaaay south of what I was talking about.

try this...

https://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=37.42152,-118.94648&z=13&b=t

and this satellite view. Graveyard is easily seen. Devils bathtub to the NW

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.4116323,-118.9599051,7371m/data=!3m1!1e3

all said and done... everywhere up and down the Sierra's is gorgeous. this is just where I purdy much grew up.  :thumbsup:

Mr.B

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2018, 10:57:05 PM »

Yeah it is gorgeous. I used to go camping, hiking and fishing out of Big Pine campground. It was right next to Glacier Lodge. I understand it burned down some years back. :shaking:

The Bear Whisperer

• aka - Screaming "Bear"
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2018, 09:10:06 AM »

Looks like a nice loop Randy. The two passes are only 11,000 ft or so. Who's buried in Graveyard Meadows? Geezers probably.
25-30 miles in 2 or 3 days ain't happening.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5