Norcal Jeepers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Tapatalk is still having problems starting new threads, but you can still reply to old threads

Welcome to Norcal Jeepers!
Welcome to Norcal Jeepers! It looks like you're not registered yet. As a guest you are missing out on a bunch of great content that is only viewable once you register. To register, simply follow the link below and fill out some information about yourself. It only takes a few minutes!

Click here to register now!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Summer Hiking  (Read 13568 times)

Mr.B

• "But officer, it was a Subaru!"
  • Administrator
Re: Summer Hiking
« Reply #80 on: October 01, 2019, 12:25:03 PM »

Mark has one but I didn't borrow it. Just think of the weight savings.  :hahaha: :rofl:
Actually, lots of people I passed on the trail had them and I asked for weather updates. That is why I pushed hard to get over the final pass before the snow came in. Yes, awesome. Sorry I didn't have a better camera with me or at least had mine set on landscape mode instead of macro or whatever.  :shaking:

Yeah, you are a crazy man. The pictures look great by the way.  :2thumbsup:
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

You're a super genius....
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein

The Bear Whisperer

• aka - Screaming "Bear"
« Reply #81 on: October 05, 2019, 08:43:41 PM »

Yeah, you are a crazy man. The pictures look great by the way.  :2thumbsup:
Choosing a new pocket superzoom camera wasn't easy. I was torn between the more advanced Panasonic Lumix DC-TZ95 and the older Canon SX740. I also considered the Nikon A1000 but settled on the Canon. Hope I'm not disappointed.
51 CJ3-A, 4.3 TBI Chevy, SM420, Dana 18TC, D30/44, 4.27:1 Gears = 74:1 Yukon Front Axles and Hubs, Detroit Fr / E-Locker Rr, 8K winch, HD steering, Viair 550C, 100% LED - VisionX headlights, Rigid Light-bar, DOT Fogs, Grote tail, Soft Top, Heater, CB/Ham/Stereo, 35"KM-2's, ~3" up, Rubicon Express YJ springs on the rear

Mr.B

• "But officer, it was a Subaru!"
  • Administrator
« Reply #82 on: October 06, 2019, 06:49:25 AM »

What were you using on the last hike? Those were pretty good pictures.
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

You're a super genius....
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein

The Bear Whisperer

• aka - Screaming "Bear"
« Reply #83 on: October 06, 2019, 01:01:59 PM »

What were you using on the last hike? Those were pretty good pictures.
Old reliable Sony Cybershot. Only 4.1 mega pixels and 3X zoom. Great for EBay and Craigslist pics but not great with scenery. It is light weight and has great AA battery life. My Nikon SLRs are nice but too heavy and bulky for hiking. Wish I could sell all my 35mm gear.
Pretty sure 20mp and 40X zoom in a pocket Canon will fit my requirements. Not having an electronic viewfinder in bright sun is a disadvantage and I think the battery needs to be removed for charging. 265 pics per charge will have to do. I don't mind not having touchscreen controls with my weak eyes.
51 CJ3-A, 4.3 TBI Chevy, SM420, Dana 18TC, D30/44, 4.27:1 Gears = 74:1 Yukon Front Axles and Hubs, Detroit Fr / E-Locker Rr, 8K winch, HD steering, Viair 550C, 100% LED - VisionX headlights, Rigid Light-bar, DOT Fogs, Grote tail, Soft Top, Heater, CB/Ham/Stereo, 35"KM-2's, ~3" up, Rubicon Express YJ springs on the rear

Mase58

• Supporting Member
« Reply #84 on: October 06, 2019, 03:44:11 PM »

BEAST MODE! Excellent Doug. I am glad to hear it all worked out favorably and you got back safe and sound. Really looks like an awesome trip. :thumbsup:

The Bear Whisperer

• aka - Screaming "Bear"
« Reply #85 on: October 15, 2019, 11:57:27 AM »

Yes awesome. I'm already planning next years leg of the JMT (John Muir Trail). It looks like I will be coming in over Bishop Pass again but this time heading north on the PCT/JMT to Florence Lake or maybe Lake Thomas A Edison for a 50 or 60 mile section. A re-supply here then on to Devils Postpile would be logistically easier. The additional 30 trail miles will be a push and the plan was to do this in two hikes. My last section from Postpile to Yosemite will complete the 211 mile total minus 5 mile Glen Pass and Whitney. Damn weather  :pissed:

https://www.hikingproject.com/trail/7016157/jmt-segment-5-muir-trail-ranch-to-bishop-pass-at-leconte-canyon

RockWoRM

• LJ's do it longer
  • Supporting Member
« Reply #86 on: October 15, 2019, 09:16:29 PM »

Yes awesome. I'm already planning next years leg of the JMT (John Muir Trail). It looks like I will be coming in over Bishop Pass again but this time heading north on the PCT/JMT to Florence Lake or maybe Lake Thomas A Edison for a 50 or 60 mile section. A re-supply here then on to Devils Postpile would be logistically easier. The additional 30 trail miles will be a push and the plan was to do this in two hikes. My last section from Postpile to Yosemite will complete the 211 mile total minus 5 mile Glen Pass and Whitney. Damn weather  :pissed:

https://www.hikingproject.com/trail/7016157/jmt-segment-5-muir-trail-ranch-to-bishop-pass-at-leconte-canyon
Well, assuming my knee heals properly, I still am wanting to do my little section from Edison to Goodale/Silver pass's and back to Edison. I can pick you up @ Florence and bring restock supplies and we'll head on over to 'my' neck 'o the woods.  :biggrin:

(of course... that means lots of work in the off season) Lol.
'05 LJR, 4.0, HT, AC, 6sp, 5.13 D44's, Alloy shafts, RC long arm w/6" MC dual rate coils, All MC armor, Warn 9.5, OEM front bumper, Rockhard rear swing out, ProComp bolt in int. cage. CB

The Bear Whisperer

• aka - Screaming "Bear"
« Reply #87 on: January 21, 2020, 11:25:38 AM »

Well, assuming my knee heals properly, I still am wanting to do my little section from Edison to Goodale/Silver pass's and back to Edison. I can pick you up @ Florence and bring restock supplies and we'll head on over to 'my' neck 'o the woods.  :biggrin:

(of course... that means lots of work in the off season) Lol.
I've been on the couch since the first snow back in November. Sierras currently have about 75% snow pack so I am hoping to get an early start at conditioning this year. I don't do gyms so completing the Tahoe Rim Trail should get me back in shape. I have a very ambitious goal of doing the entire distance from Bishop Pass to Agnew Meadows (around 100 miles). I'd meet you for a resupply and hike together from Edison to Goodall Pass. I'll pay your ferry ride  ;D  Probably leave my car in Mammoth and bus to Bishop Pass TH. Dependent on snow-pack and runoff, I'm hoping for late August or early Sept this year.

The Bear Whisperer

• aka - Screaming "Bear"
« Reply #88 on: January 25, 2020, 07:48:53 PM »

Randy, I've been watching the permit situation because Bishop Pass is a popular access point. I will likely reserve my permit in about a month as the six month window moves. I need to backtrack a couple miles of PCT south to touch footsteps of a previous hike. I am thinking of hitting the trail Aug 25 and reaching Lk Edison 5 days later (~65 mi). Goodale Pass is ~600' elevation then downhill to your car. My car, 35 miles north. This time frame will enable us to make the Sept Rubicon trip. Boss will not be happy  :shaking:.
What are your thoughts?

Is anyone interested in going on either Randy's 18 mile loop or my 100 mile trek, booked solid?

Edit: I purchased my wilderness permit. Looks like there are trail quotas for Sierra National Forest also. Entry trail J61. Free as a walk up or $5.00 reserved. I didn't see regulations other than a fire permit for your stove. I don't know if bear canisters are required or whether hanging food and smellables 15' is acceptable.
https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/sierra/recreation/hiking/?cid=stelprdb5305553
https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fsbdev7_017679.pdf
« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 10:37:01 AM by The Bear Whisperer »

The Bear Whisperer

• aka - Screaming "Bear"
« Reply #89 on: May 20, 2020, 09:03:39 AM »

Yeah, it's me again. It's looking like fording rivers and crossing snow fields will be easier this year.
http://cdec.water.ca.gov/snowapp/sweq.action

edit: Logistics have gotten tricky with the shutdowns. Mammoth finally opened the road to Devils Postpile but it is limited. There will be no shuttle back up to town to catch the Bishop Express. That bus and the shuttle to the trail-head are running though. I am dreading the 8 mile walk up the mountain road to the ski lodge. The permit will be sent by email this year. No need to pick up in person  :thumbsup:
I've hiked halfway around Tahoe now, 86 miles to go!

EDIT 8/7: Cancelled JMT for this year. 47 miles remaining to complete the Tahoe Rim Trail (2 sections)
EDIT 10/13: 24 Miles remaining of 165 Tahoe Rim Trail (1 section) No overnight camping until 11/30
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 09:35:55 AM by The Bear Whisperer »

The Bear Whisperer

• aka - Screaming "Bear"
« Reply #90 on: September 07, 2020, 11:56:51 AM »

Glad I put this hike off. I may have been in the thick of this.

UPDATE 9/7/20 Big News from Forest Service--the Inyo and other National Forests are CLOSED due to fire danger!
Forest Service Temporarily Closes Southern California National Forests, Adds Prohibitions in Others
VALLEJO, Calif., September 7, 2020 – Most of California remains under the threat of unprecedented and dangerous fire conditions with a combination of extreme heat, significant wind events, dry conditions, and firefighting resources that are stretched to the limit. Due to these conditions, the USDA Forest Service Pacific Southwest Region is announcing the following temporary closures and fire restrictions to provide for public safety and reduce the potential for human caused fire starts. They will go into effect at 5:00 pm Pacific Standard Time on Monday, September 7, 2020, and will be re-evaluated daily as conditions change.
1. Closure of the following National Forests: Stanislaus National Forest, Sierra National Forest, Sequoia National Forest, Inyo National Forest, Los Padres National Forest, Angeles National Forest, San Bernardino National Forest, and Cleveland National Forest.
2. Prohibition of the use of any ignition source on all National Forest System lands (campfires, gas stoves, etc.) throughout California.
3. Closure of all developed campgrounds and day-use sites on National Forests in California.
“The wildfire situation throughout California is dangerous and must be taken seriously. Existing fires are displaying extreme fire behavior, new fire starts are likely, weather conditions are worsening, and we simply do not have enough resources to fully fight and contain every fire,” said Randy Moore, Regional Forester for the USDA Forest Service Pacific Southwest Region. “We are bringing every resource to bear nationally and internationally to fight these fires, but until conditions improve, and we are confident that National Forest visitors can recreate safely, the priority is always to protect the public and our firefighters. With these extreme conditions, these temporary actions will help us do both.”
An example of extreme fire behavior is the Creek Fire on the Sierra National Forest which began on Friday Sep. 4th and grew rapidly on Saturday, Sep. 5th. The fire made a 15-mile run in a single day and burned 36,000 acres, prompting evacuations and life saving measures. The California National Guard evacuated at least 200 people from Wagner Mammoth Pool Campground and assessed them for medical needs.
The Forest Service thanks our partners and the public for their cooperation and understanding of this monumental fire threat. It is critical that all Californians and national forest visitors follow these important closures and restrictions for their own safety and the safety of our firefighters.

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #91 on: September 08, 2020, 06:59:47 AM »

Yep, also a hot topic at the moment.  Rubicon is CLOSED, no ramblers trip!!

RockWoRM

• LJ's do it longer
  • Supporting Member
« Reply #92 on: September 26, 2020, 07:58:49 AM »

Yup, I've been up in Oregon off and on for the last 3 weeks and they got some big fires up there also. One started up right in front of us coming down I-5 in Medford on the side of the freeway! Crazy! We drove right past it before the fire trucks were even there and before they closed the freeway! Burned at least a couple miles or so. Some authorities suspect Antifa starting them. Good news is they've been getting some rain up there and things are calming down. Obviously we need some rain down here big time! This fire down here is literally burning up the entire Sierra national forest. I'm not sure, but I believe every trail down here is burned up save for maybe the Dusy! And the fire is STILL burning!  :thumbsdown:
'05 LJR, 4.0, HT, AC, 6sp, 5.13 D44's, Alloy shafts, RC long arm w/6" MC dual rate coils, All MC armor, Warn 9.5, OEM front bumper, Rockhard rear swing out, ProComp bolt in int. cage. CB
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]