Norcal Jeepers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Tapatalk is still having problems starting new threads, but you can still reply to old threads

Welcome to Norcal Jeepers!
Welcome to Norcal Jeepers! It looks like you're not registered yet. As a guest you are missing out on a bunch of great content that is only viewable once you register. To register, simply follow the link below and fill out some information about yourself. It only takes a few minutes!

Click here to register now!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: CB help  (Read 3707 times)

Dubski

• Jeep Dealer
  • Only in a Jeep
    • Swift Jeep
CB help
« on: August 01, 2013, 08:50:32 PM »

I just finished installation of a Uniden 520xl on my 98ZJ. I hard wired it using a 18ft coaxial firestik fire ring then connected to an aluminum homemade mounting bracket using a fire ring mounting bracket. My antenna is a 4' firestik firefly with heavy duty spring.

Okay so I did a SWR meter test and the dang thing is in the red!  What the hell am I doing wrong??  Is it the location of my antenna? Or the material of my mounting bracket?
Any suggestions or any recommendations to where I can take it to get checked out? I live in the Republic of Davis, Ca.  Please help!

I live. I ride. I am. Jeep

Mr.B

• "But officer, it was a Subaru!"
  • Administrator
Re: CB help
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 09:05:19 PM »

Do you have a multimeter to check continuity?
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

You're a super genius....
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein

Dubski

• Jeep Dealer
  • Only in a Jeep
    • Swift Jeep
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 09:07:10 PM »

No... I didn't think I would need a degree in rocket science to be like the Bandit!

Do you know where I can get a professional opinion?

Dubski

• Jeep Dealer
  • Only in a Jeep
    • Swift Jeep
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 09:13:10 PM »

I have the fire ring to K4 stud assembly. But again. I have no clue.

http://www.firestik.com/images/contnuty.gif

Mr.B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 09:13:33 PM »

It's not real hard. You just need to check resistance. on the antenna. Is there a Radio Shack in the Republic?
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein

Mr.B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2013, 09:16:19 PM »

That stud setup only works if you have that ground wire (G) hooked up.

Day215

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2013, 09:18:50 PM »

Did you put the shoulder of the nylon washer against the aluminum bracket? You should NOT have any metal portion of the stud touching the bracket. Cheap multimeter to check continuity, touch the stud and the bracket with the probe, if there's continuity there's your issue.
92 Toyota minitruck Front Dana 60 4.88s, Lincoln locked, drive slugs blah blah blah. Rear Dana 70 4.88s, Lincoln locked, 63 chevys. W56 5speed, 2.28 duals, 22re. 39.5s and other stuff. Bobbed, exod, cut up etc. I used to wheel a YJ, then I defected. Now no one talks to me anymore.....cant completly blame that on the switch though.

I'm out of the club. Stay away from my wiener.

Dubski

• Jeep Dealer
  • Only in a Jeep
    • Swift Jeep
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2013, 09:24:54 PM »

I have the radio grounded. The fire ring is one piece, I guess the ground is the plastic ring that connects to the mount? I read the instructions on mounting the K4 stud. I did it as instructed.

I have a Shack near me. What do I get there?

Mr.B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2013, 09:28:09 PM »

Depending on the Shack, they may check it out for you. If not get a cheap meter, and you can probably figure it out yourself. With our help of course. :high5:

Day215

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2013, 09:32:58 PM »

The nylon should insulate the center stud from the mount, the metal ring ghat surrounds the nylon washer should ground to the bracket once everything is tightened up, I think.
92 Toyota minitruck Front Dana 60 4.88s, Lincoln locked, drive slugs blah blah blah. Rear Dana 70 4.88s, Lincoln locked, 63 chevys. W56 5speed, 2.28 duals, 22re. 39.5s and other stuff. Bobbed, exod, cut up etc. I used to wheel a YJ, then I defected. Now no one talks to me anymore.....cant completly blame that on the switch though.

Dubski

• Jeep Dealer
  • Only in a Jeep
    • Swift Jeep
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2013, 09:56:22 PM »

If not get a cheap meter, and you can probably figure it out yourself. With our help of course. :high5:

Thanks!

Mr.B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2013, 10:02:27 PM »

That stud setup only works if you have that ground wire (G) hooked up.

Sorry for confusing you, I was looking at the center setup. You have the setup on the right. It should work ok, if you have it set up correctly.

Dubski

• Jeep Dealer
  • Only in a Jeep
    • Swift Jeep
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2013, 10:06:52 PM »

No problem Mr. B
 I have the one on the far right.
I made sure I got that stud mount connected correctly.  If I have continuity what do I do next?

Mr.B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2013, 10:13:17 PM »

In the picture, the red parts and the green parts should not have continuity. The green parts should have continuity with the frame of the Jeep. I'm not sure, but there may be a possibility that you attached the cable to the antenna upside down. Would that be even possible?

Mr.B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2013, 10:27:17 PM »

Sorry, I have to go now. I need to work in the morning. I'll check back in the AM.

Dubski

• Jeep Dealer
  • Only in a Jeep
    • Swift Jeep
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2013, 10:37:40 PM »

Only if you did not read the instructions I guess. The fire ring has a raised plastic or nylon sleeve that needs to be facing/touching the mounting bracket.
See image below. I am a virgin CB installer and have only relied on firestik and their instructions. But when it comes to "SWR in the red" their suggestions are limitless. Could be a short in the coaxial or the location or mounting bracket, a bad radio or you just suck! (Last one was made up).

http://www.firestik.com/Instl-Art/MK-FR001.jpg

My dad and mom wheeled the rubicon and fourdice in the 70's & 80's they had CB's and com'd on them all the time. Even when in the city (like smokey and the Bandit) they have since forgot more than I will ever know... As the saying goes! But this just shows how F'd we are.. So relying on magical cell phones and computers that work only if we pay. That the majority of us youngsters can't even figure out a CB radio.
I will admit. I am ashamed BUT determined to learn. Thanks for all the help

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2013, 02:07:50 AM »

So the bracket looks like it's painted.  Yes?  If so you need to make sure you're getting a good ground on the bottom, so you need to remove some of the paint.

Day215

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2013, 06:23:12 AM »

How is the bracket attached to the jeep? I took a long length of wire, attached it directly to the negative lead on the battery and connected my multi meter between the end of the wire and my mounting bracket. I was making damn sure I had a good solid ground between my bracket and the rest of the jeep. I think Tim might be on to something, did you make sure your mounting location was paint free, does you're mounting spot tie into the vehicles ground?

Dubski

• Jeep Dealer
  • Only in a Jeep
    • Swift Jeep
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2013, 06:10:40 PM »

Okay.. Mounting bracket was painted but I have since sanded off the paint down to metal. Tested again and still SWR in the red.  So I went and bought a multimeter reader and touched the mount and stud and the buzzer went off. So I guess I have continuity. What's next?

Sent from outer space using my laser guided Tapatalk doo-hickey thing.

Mr.B

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2013, 06:26:54 PM »

Start taking it apart, and see where the problem is. The base of the antenna should not have continuity with the frame of the Jeep. So if the base is touching the mount, that is your problem. You can also test the other end of the cable, where it connects to the radio. The center post should not have continuity with the outside of the cable.

Pages: [1] 2