Norcal Jeepers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Well that was a fun 40 hours. Thank you Godaddy. We're back up and running, but in the next 30 days there will some scheduled down time.

Welcome to Norcal Jeepers!
Welcome to Norcal Jeepers! It looks like you're not registered yet. As a guest you are missing out on a bunch of great content that is only viewable once you register. To register, simply follow the link below and fill out some information about yourself. It only takes a few minutes!

Click here to register now!

Author Topic: CARB approval and snorkels/intakes  (Read 4556 times)

Jam86

CARB approval and snorkels/intakes
« on: August 08, 2013, 12:43:01 PM »

Ok since this is still going I started a new thread to not hijack jake's thread.  First off Tim thank you for posting that link.

There's over 48K vehicle codes.  Can someone find me the one that says a snorkel or intake in general is a smog device?  Here's a link.... http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes.xhtml

There might be one, but I don't know what it is.

To answer your question it is in Division 12 chapter 5 article 2, or California Vehicle Code 27156 mostly part (c) and (h) I believe are the biggest parts of our debate. Now you also asked for someone to find you one that says a snorkel or intake is a smog device. In that aspect I have failed you, but at the same time I never said it was. The issue is, a snorkel can and will change your vehicles pollution control device if installed. I think im the only one on here that is active that deals with multiple devices because of new technology and crap but I could be wrong.

The following isnt directed at you Tim, this is just a general explanation to show and help people understand, and obviously this is from how i see it which as we all know everyone interpets things deferently. Anyways, basically your emission is controlled by your exhaust recirc and your cat converter. Your exhaust recirc is there to help control your combustion temperature, it dilutes your air/gas mixture which in turn lowers/controls burn temperature, which ultimately lowers your NoX output. Your cat converter without going into the chemical equations, breakdown process, or engineering behind them, is basically an exhaust filter for lack of a better term.    In reality it is a catalyst, it strips and exchanges chemical particles to reduce CO, NoX, and hydro carbons as well as turn a percentage of them into a safer gas.

Now, lets get down to the snorkel/intake debate. Ill use my own snorkel as an example. My snorkel effectively changes my pollution control system in 2 ways, my air flow and my suction/inlet temperature. My airflow I can assume is designed relatively close to stock but if higher than im introducing more oxygen into the system, if lower its exactly the opposite. Changing the temperature is obvious, I am no longer pulling air from under my hood im pulling it from my ambiant air. So lets just say for an assumption purpose my under hood temps are normally 120 degrees F. While ambiant air temp today is 69 degrees F at the moment. Thats a 51 degree difference. Pulling colder air means you pull denser air youre burning more oxygen but the same amount of fuel for your given speed. Again assume im going a constant 65 mph on the highway, flat surface, basically im not injecting any more or less fuel its remaining exactly the same but as previously mentioned im pulling in a denser air so more air, same fuel, id be creating more emissions. However my snorkel falls into Cali Vehicle Code 27156 (h) and im allowed to run it because I have CARB approval.
Now as far as your intake Tim, fuck if I know how/why youre getting away with it. Maybe since you have an older rig the tech doesnt know what he is looking at. I honestly cant give you a good reason.

BTW this sucked to type out on my phone.
I got a 6 foot bed that never has to be made!

sneakyjap96

• BIG JOHNSON
  • JOHNSON
Re: CARB approval and snorkels/intakes
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 12:53:13 PM »

Do me a favor I'd like to see how your snorkel connects to the intake plz
1989 xj d30 spartan d44  lsd 4.88 gr johnson built long/mid arms johnson built stiffeners, Trans mount n sliders hd shackle relocation boxes beefy shackles 7 in front coils re adjustable track bar oba dirt bound front bumper home made rear bumper

1995 xj np231 w jb sye 6 in lift  re uca/lca johnson built  winch bumper an sliders xrc8 winch hl 60 s 33s km2/km hp30 sparten btf hd diff cover/8.25 3.55 gr cb re brake lines jks discos hid lights in cab winch control Johnson bilt motor mounts dual e fan conversion

Jam86

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 01:18:24 PM »

Do me a favor I'd like to see how your snorkel connects to the intake plz

I fail to see wtf that has to do to anything. There is a hole in my air box upstream of my filter. It is connected and sealed to my air box. Air goes in air ram head on snorkel, flows through snorkel into air box, passes through filter and then finally into engine "suction" or intake.

sneakyjap96

• BIG JOHNSON
  • JOHNSON
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 03:30:17 PM »

Then u shouldn't need a carb if you have the stock box but all well I'm over this I know wat I can do lol
1989 xj d30 spartan d44  lsd 4.88 gr johnson built long/mid arms johnson built stiffeners, Trans mount n sliders hd shackle relocation boxes beefy shackles 7 in front coils re adjustable track bar oba dirt bound front bumper home made rear bumper

1995 xj np231 w jb sye 6 in lift  re uca/lca johnson built  winch bumper an sliders xrc8 winch hl 60 s 33s km2/km hp30 sparten btf hd diff cover/8.25 3.55 gr cb re brake lines jks discos hid lights in cab winch control Johnson bilt motor mounts dual e fan conversion

Jam86

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 04:13:43 PM »

Then u shouldn't need a carb if you have the stock box but all well I'm over this I know wat I can do lol

WOW!!!! I knew you couldnt spell worth shit. But I didnt know you couldnt read.

sneakyjap96

• BIG JOHNSON
  • JOHNSON
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 05:32:36 PM »

K

dan_man

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2013, 07:50:28 PM »

Okay, so maybe I can shed some light on this since I'm a smog tech. It would need a C.A.R.B EO number if its after any smog device like any sensors in you air box. If its placed before any smog device it does not need a carb number. Most newer jeeps don't have a thermostatic intake so they would be smog legal, but the older ones do. So, check your emissions label. If it says TAC then it would need a carb number.

sneakyjap96

• BIG JOHNSON
  • JOHNSON
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2013, 08:20:39 PM »

Hey the smog tech says the same thing I did haha

Jam86

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2013, 09:37:00 PM »

Hey the smog tech says the same thing I did haha

Pretty sure what he said wasnt remotely close to what you said...

sneakyjap96

• BIG JOHNSON
  • JOHNSON
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2013, 10:41:13 PM »

Your right my bad not in this thread but like I did say if you tied into stock box it didn't need to be carb legal

Jam86

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2013, 12:52:33 AM »

I still interpret the codes I posted differently.  It makes sense in my mind as well, because why would the jk snorkel be CARB approved if it wasn't required to be?

sneakyjap96

• BIG JOHNSON
  • JOHNSON
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2013, 08:59:37 AM »

cause you paid the big bucks. unlike us cheap broke bastards haha and because a smog tech can fail you with even a carb sticker on the intake but it does look a lot better to have the sticker. just like my jap trap I have I put a stock intake on it even my hot air intake was carb legal but when I went to smog I asked them if they would have smogged it with the after market intake one guy said ya the other said nope he doesn't mess around with aftermarket stuff. and he was Asian with a after market Honda lol

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2013, 12:48:20 PM »

I still interpret the codes I posted differently.  It makes sense in my mind as well, because why would the jk snorkel be CARB approved if it wasn't required to be?

Because companies are willing to pay for the CARB sticker so they can in turn charge you more.