Norcal Jeepers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Well that was a fun 40 hours. Thank you Godaddy. We're back up and running, but in the next 30 days there will some scheduled down time.

Welcome to Norcal Jeepers!
Welcome to Norcal Jeepers! It looks like you're not registered yet. As a guest you are missing out on a bunch of great content that is only viewable once you register. To register, simply follow the link below and fill out some information about yourself. It only takes a few minutes!

Click here to register now!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Anyone know about 8.8 limited slips?  (Read 5428 times)

Day215

Anyone know about 8.8 limited slips?
« on: October 10, 2013, 11:52:32 AM »

I picked up another 8.8 to replace my current one, I currently have an open carrier and the new one has the factory LS. I'm not interested in putting a true locker in right now, it's daily driven and I like to go to the snow, I like predictability. I picked up a rebud kit for the LS, I have read about people adding an extra friction and changing the stacking order of the frictions and steels.

Does anyone know how hard these things can be made to lock up? I have read a few posts from mustang guys that can chirp and drag tires around corners after modding the LS.
92 Toyota minitruck Front Dana 60 4.88s, Lincoln locked, drive slugs blah blah blah. Rear Dana 70 4.88s, Lincoln locked, 63 chevys. W56 5speed, 2.28 duals, 22re. 39.5s and other stuff. Bobbed, exod, cut up etc. I used to wheel a YJ, then I defected. Now no one talks to me anymore.....cant completly blame that on the switch though.

I'm out of the club. Stay away from my wiener.

norcal_chris

• always down to wheel
Re: Anyone know about 8.8 limited slips?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 11:56:21 AM »

I did a bunch of crap to the limited slip in my mustang. '

Skip the friction additive
run reg dino oil not synthetic.
order the rebuild from FRPP.
Rearrange the discs

Lemme see if i can find something from back in the day 
Got it

It helps if you have a good manual but the instructions that come with
the kit are pretty good. The part number is F5AZ-4947-BA and its generally around $70 or so at Ford dealers. You may be able to find it cheaper on the net. Get about 3 quarts of 80w-90 gear oil. If you want absolute max trak-lok action and are willing to put up
with some unsettling noises from the rear end, don't use any modifier at all.

1) Jack up the rear end and support with stands.
2) Loosen the diff cover bolts, removing all but the top two so you don't take a gear-oil bath
3) Pry the cover loose and drain the rear into a pan.
4) When threat of bathing is gone remove the top bolts and pull the cover off
5) Scrape/wipe out the bottom of the diff.
6) Now is a good time to soak the new clutch discs in oil, thei need to soak for 20 minutes at least. you don't want to put them in dry
7) The shaft going through the center of the diff is called the pinion shaft. It's got a lockbolt on one end. Undo the lockbolt and push the shaft out. Youll only want to push it in a little bit so you can still rotate the assembly and pull it out toward you. There isnt enough clearance to push it all the way through or to turn the assembly if youve tried.
8) Remove the wheels and brake drums, leave the other brake hardware alone. Push the axles inward, and you'll see the c-clips that hold them in place. Remove the clips and pull the axles out gently -- don't torque the bearings on the way out and don't let the axles hang, just remove them.
9) Get a grip on the s-spring and pull it out. You may need to punch it with a hammer to get it started, and keep a damn good grip on it when you remove it you don't want it zinging around.
10) The gears you see are the pinion gears and the side gears, called spider gears. Rotate things until the spider gears pop out, then pull the pinion gears out too. Inspect for damage.
11) Now you can simply slide the clutch packs out, use the tabs on the plates if necessary. Make sure you get them all out including the shims.
12) Reinstall the clutches and steels in the proper order, using a shim at least as thick as the ones you removed. You want to use the thickest shim you can while still being able to get the spider gears back in. Forget about using the set-up tool and all the special measurements, if you can get the spider gears back in you're all set. Note: Each clutch pack is made up of a series of Frictions and Steels and in the factory order they go F-S-S-F-S-S-F. However, if you re-use the best two of your old Frictions in place of one of the new Steels you can re-stack them in an order that makes the diff lock better, which is F-S-F-S-F-S-F, which is the same number of total elements. You may have to trial assemble it a couple times to get the right shim so it's just loose enough to get back together, barely.
13) To get the gears in, it helps to have a helper turn the now-temporarily-installed driver's side axle while you lock the passenger-side pinion gear in place. The spider gears will squeze into place. They are perfectly aligned when you can get the pinion shaft back in.
14) Re-install the s-spring. Or dont. Its only there to help in really really low-traction situations. Leaving it out will not hurt the locking power of the unit under normal conditions. Getting it in, if you choose, can be a bitch. Try holding it against its slot with a pair of channel-locks to get it squeezed down a bit while prying it in with a piece of 2X4 using the swaybar as a fulcrum. Alternately, do the same but whack it with a mallet. It should pop in. If it doesn't, try using a 1-1/2 inch hose clamp to squeeze the spring so you can insert it. Then cut the clamp and slide it out.
15) Re-install the axles by pushing them all the way in, installing the c-clips, and pulling the axles back out against the clips which are now recessed in the housing and locked in place.
16) Reinstall the pinion shaft and make damn sure you put it in the right way so the new lockbolt can be installed. And do not use the old lockbolt.
17) Use gasket maker on the diff housing and reinstall the cover.

Run the S spring.  Some of my buddies didnt run em and its fine on pavement, but you want it in to help with tire lifting
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 12:04:50 PM by norcal_chris »
Ruined a perfectly good jeep.

Day215

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 12:01:08 PM »

I did a bunch of crap to the limited slip in my mustang. '

Skip the friction additive
run reg dino oil not synthetic.
order the rebuild from FRPP.
Rearrange the discs like homeboy says. 

Ford 8.8" rear end Traction-Lok clutch setups

I have heard to add less friction modifier, I gues I could see how it does and add a bit if it grabs a little too much. I bought the genuine ford racing rebuild kit too.
92 Toyota minitruck Front Dana 60 4.88s, Lincoln locked, drive slugs blah blah blah. Rear Dana 70 4.88s, Lincoln locked, 63 chevys. W56 5speed, 2.28 duals, 22re. 39.5s and other stuff. Bobbed, exod, cut up etc. I used to wheel a YJ, then I defected. Now no one talks to me anymore.....cant completly blame that on the switch though.

norcal_chris

• always down to wheel
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 12:05:13 PM »

ninja edit
Ruined a perfectly good jeep.

connor0770

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 12:58:17 PM »

just run it how it is. Mine works great and I havent done any of that crap.
-97 TJ, 35's, Currie 4" lift, Dana 30 w/ ARB, 8.8, Trail Gear Front Bumper With w/ XRC8, LOD Tire Carrier, UCF Tummy Tuck, Smittybuilt Corners, Poison Spider Sliders

Day215

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 02:48:47 PM »

just run it how it is. Mine works great and I havent done any of that crap.

The donor vehicle had 184k on the clock, I pulled the carrier to inspect and clean the housing. I figured I'd rebuild it while its in the bench, and I may as well see if I can make it lock a little better. I would bet a factory style setup with fresh parts would work fairly well, but I'll see if I can make it better.

How does it do if you lift a tire? I know it's not a true locker, but I'm curious about its performance in stock form.

sneakyjap96

• BIG JOHNSON
  • JOHNSON
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2013, 03:38:34 PM »

Gotta wheel it to worry about a locker in the rear lol
1989 xj d30 spartan d44  lsd 4.88 gr johnson built long/mid arms johnson built stiffeners, Trans mount n sliders hd shackle relocation boxes beefy shackles 7 in front coils re adjustable track bar oba dirt bound front bumper home made rear bumper

1995 xj np231 w jb sye 6 in lift  re uca/lca johnson built  winch bumper an sliders xrc8 winch hl 60 s 33s km2/km hp30 sparten btf hd diff cover/8.25 3.55 gr cb re brake lines jks discos hid lights in cab winch control Johnson bilt motor mounts dual e fan conversion

Day215

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2013, 03:42:37 PM »

Gotta wheel it to worry about a locker in the rear lol

How's that Kia treating ya!

I had to baby my rear axle, after I get this new one in, I'll feel a whole lot better.

sneakyjap96

• BIG JOHNSON
  • JOHNSON
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2013, 03:52:49 PM »

35 mpg pretty good I'd say too my Honda 30 mpg still good.. no complaints here
1989 xj d30 spartan d44  lsd 4.88 gr johnson built long/mid arms johnson built stiffeners, Trans mount n sliders hd shackle relocation boxes beefy shackles 7 in front coils re adjustable track bar oba dirt bound front bumper home made rear bumper

1995 xj np231 w jb sye 6 in lift  re uca/lca johnson built  winch bumper an sliders xrc8 winch hl 60 s 33s km2/km hp30 sparten btf hd diff cover/8.25 3.55 gr cb re brake lines jks discos hid lights in cab winch control Johnson bilt motor mounts dual e fan conversion

Day215

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2013, 04:02:36 PM »

35 mpg pretty good I'd say too my Honda 30 mpg still good.. no complaints here

How dare you deflect my sarcastic remark by using logic! Seriously though, we traded in our 09' v6 accord for a 14' 4 banger, pulls down about 32mpg, it's awesome.

Back to the tech! I had never thought about leaving the spring out, it's there for a reason, so I'll definatley put it back in. The mustang guys compared some of the rebuilt posi units to a spool. While I'm certain you could get it to hook up pretty good on slicks, I think all that would change once a tires in the air.

I have been very pleased with my tru trac front, if I can get similar performance in the rear, I'll be happy. I'll save the locker for a bigger axle build in the future.

connor0770

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2013, 05:39:58 PM »

its not so great once a wheel lifts.. better on slick rocks or whenever its just slipping.  But when you have a tire in the air it spins.... Only time I wish it was locked is Soup Bowl.
-97 TJ, 35's, Currie 4" lift, Dana 30 w/ ARB, 8.8, Trail Gear Front Bumper With w/ XRC8, LOD Tire Carrier, UCF Tummy Tuck, Smittybuilt Corners, Poison Spider Sliders

sneakyjap96

• BIG JOHNSON
  • JOHNSON
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2013, 05:56:56 PM »

Its also good if you in a unforgivable spot that a locker would snap a shaft the clutches should let go before a major break happens in

Screaming Bear

• Supporting Member
  • "the Bear Whisperer"
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2013, 09:17:14 AM »

Don't forget if a wheel is in the air, use the brakes to load the clutch pack. Otherwise you only get about 75 lbft on the wheel with traction. (stock LS)
51 CJ3-A, 4.3 TBI Chevy, SM420, Dana 18TC, 30/44 Full Floaters, Yukon Front Axle and Hubs, rear drive flanges, Detroit Fr / E-Locker Rr, 4.27:1 Gears, 74:1, HD steering / 4 wheel disk brakes, Viair 550C, 100% LED - VisionX headlights, Rigid Light-bar, DOT Fogs, Grote tail, Soft Top and Heater, 35"KM-2's, 3" up, no articulation - it works

Day215

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2013, 12:28:12 PM »

Got a bit of work done today. Blew apart the carrier in preparation of the rebuild, removed the old brackets and ground down the old weld, marked my centerline and marked the centerline for the new perches. The perches were just tossed on to check the fitment, so bite your tongue!

I have a couple of questions:

1. The carrier bearing shims have a bevel on one shoulder, which way does the bevel face?
2. Can I leave off the reluctor gear that signals the abs sensor? It's the big sprocket looking deal shown in the pictures.
3. Can anyone suggest a good perch length for a SUA setup? The new perches are 8" long for anti wrap reduction in a SOA setup. I checked my current perches, and I'll be damned, they are 8" too. That might be the reason for my limited flex in the rear, the spring is being pulled flat because of the perch.

Day215

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2013, 12:29:37 PM »

Don't forget if a wheel is in the air, use the brakes to load the clutch pack. Otherwise you only get about 75 lbft on the wheel with traction. (stock LS)

I am still trying to master doing this while working the clutch and throttle. I see a hand throttle in my future.

SquareLite

« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2013, 02:36:18 PM »

I am still trying to master doing this while working the clutch and throttle. I see a hand throttle in my future.

Why not way lower gears and a selectable locker in the future?

Sent from my brand new outdated iPhone

Day215

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2013, 03:48:25 PM »

Why not way lower gears and a selectable locker in the future?

Sent from my brand new outdated iPhone

I'm done spending money on these axles. That's how people end up with a $1500 D30

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2013, 06:36:08 PM »

Hand throttle is awesome for those times, plus it's cheap and easy.

I'm done spending money on these axles. That's how people end up with a $1500 D30

I hear you there.  I'm into my D30 so deep now I hate to get rid of it, but also can't see spending anymore money on it.

As for some of your other questions, yes you can leave that ring off for the ABS sensor.  Did you get those perches etc from Ruff Stuff?  If so call Dan and let him know you needed SUA perches and he'll take care of it for you.

Mr.B

• "But officer, it was a Subaru!"
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2013, 07:50:43 PM »

...Did you get those perches etc from Ruff Stuff?  If so call Dan and let him know you needed SUA perches and he'll take care of it for you.

What Tim said. I have MORE SOA  perches. They take away a lot lift from the SUA springs.
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

You're a super genius....
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein

Day215

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2013, 09:01:39 PM »

Yeah, I completely missed the SUA perches on the website. The SUA perches only have one hole for the centerpin, I like the adjustability of the three hole design. I'll trim these down to 4 1/2" overall length, I was surprised to see how long my current perches were, I never paid attention until I started this project.

Pages: [1] 2