Norcal Jeepers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Well that was a fun 40 hours. Thank you Godaddy. We're back up and running, but in the next 30 days there will some scheduled down time.

Welcome to Norcal Jeepers!
Welcome to Norcal Jeepers! It looks like you're not registered yet. As a guest you are missing out on a bunch of great content that is only viewable once you register. To register, simply follow the link below and fill out some information about yourself. It only takes a few minutes!

Click here to register now!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Anyone know about 8.8 limited slips?  (Read 5429 times)

Day215

Re: Anyone know about 8.8 limited slips?
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2013, 09:18:13 PM »

Rebuilt the LSD today, decided not to add an extra friction, just rebuilt to factory specs. I stacked it a little tighter with a thicker shim. I'll get the perches tacked in place tomorrow.
92 Toyota minitruck Front Dana 60 4.88s, Lincoln locked, drive slugs blah blah blah. Rear Dana 70 4.88s, Lincoln locked, 63 chevys. W56 5speed, 2.28 duals, 22re. 39.5s and other stuff. Bobbed, exod, cut up etc. I used to wheel a YJ, then I defected. Now no one talks to me anymore.....cant completly blame that on the switch though.

I'm out of the club. Stay away from my wiener.

Day215

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2013, 06:09:36 PM »

Got my perches tacked in place, looks like I'll pick up a tiny bit of lift as the shoulder if the new perch is slightly shorter than the old.

I picked up these shock mounts, but it looks like I'm going to have clearance issues. The existing mounts are very similar, but about 2" longer. Any suggestion on mounting shocks without reinventing the wheel.
92 Toyota minitruck Front Dana 60 4.88s, Lincoln locked, drive slugs blah blah blah. Rear Dana 70 4.88s, Lincoln locked, 63 chevys. W56 5speed, 2.28 duals, 22re. 39.5s and other stuff. Bobbed, exod, cut up etc. I used to wheel a YJ, then I defected. Now no one talks to me anymore.....cant completly blame that on the switch though.

connor0770

« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2013, 06:11:03 PM »

which way are you trying to mount them? mount them downwards... Mine hang below the tube, but ive never been stuck on them.. heck ive only hit them once or twice
-97 TJ, 35's, Currie 4" lift, Dana 30 w/ ARB, 8.8, Trail Gear Front Bumper With w/ XRC8, LOD Tire Carrier, UCF Tummy Tuck, Smittybuilt Corners, Poison Spider Sliders

Day215

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2013, 06:37:54 PM »

which way are you trying to mount them? mount them downwards... Mine hang below the tube, but ive never been stuck on them.. heck ive only hit them once or twice

I was going to angle them downwards and put the level with the ubolt plate. The length pulls the shock body towards the axle tube and causes interference, it i raise the mount up to get clearance, then I shorten the length of the shock too much.

connor0770

« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2013, 06:38:42 PM »

can you flip your shocks? what brand do you have?
-97 TJ, 35's, Currie 4" lift, Dana 30 w/ ARB, 8.8, Trail Gear Front Bumper With w/ XRC8, LOD Tire Carrier, UCF Tummy Tuck, Smittybuilt Corners, Poison Spider Sliders

Day215

« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2013, 07:29:43 PM »

can you flip your shocks? what brand do you have?

El cheepo ranchos or pro comps, not too sure, they came with the jeep. I thought about flipping them, but read that it might not work so well.

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2013, 07:38:19 PM »

I used this style.....

I prefer to have them sideways like that because it's how the axle rotates when it flexes etc...... 

I had a set of these and exchanged them, but think I'm gonna go back to these and lower the mount down some when I put the teraflex bar up top......

Day215

« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2013, 08:42:53 PM »

Got er' primed and painted today, I'll slap it in on Friday, can't wait to go wheelin!

Chris95YJ

• Lil Red
  • Supporting Member
  • "low and slow"
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2013, 10:13:12 AM »

Daniel, what was wrong again with your old 8.8? something about a bent tube?
Lil Red- 97 TJ 6cyl, 5.5 longarm, D30/44 geared 4.56 ARBs Atlas 4.3 
Great Turtle- 95 YJ 4 Banger, SOA, teralow, D30/8.8 geared 4.88

Day215

« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2013, 10:15:18 AM »

Daniel, what was wrong again with your old 8.8? something about a bent tube?

Previous owner warped it when he welded the tube to the pumpkin.

Chris95YJ

• Lil Red
  • Supporting Member
  • "low and slow"
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2013, 11:52:45 AM »

Previous owner warped it when he welded the tube to the pumpkin.

so does it cause the shafts to rub or is it just weaker now because of it?
Lil Red- 97 TJ 6cyl, 5.5 longarm, D30/44 geared 4.56 ARBs Atlas 4.3 
Great Turtle- 95 YJ 4 Banger, SOA, teralow, D30/8.8 geared 4.88

Day215

« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2013, 04:04:24 PM »

The driver side tube is rubbing the rotor, it looks like it has pulled out slightly from the diff. The housing could probably be fixed, but it's easier for me to scrap it and buy another. You were looking for an 8.8 if I recall, your welcome to the housing if you want it, I'm selling off the shafts and gears though.

Day215

« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2013, 09:25:29 AM »

WOW! All 3 plugs welds are broke, 2 of them aren't even there anymore. I can turn the tube 2" by hand, and a few light taps with a framing hammer are enough to move the tube outwards. This housing is going to the scrapper for sure.

Day215

« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2013, 07:25:03 PM »

And it's a wrap, new axle is in and done!  Turns out the old 7" long spring perches were acting like a splint for the leafspring. Surprise surprise when measured my driveshaft angle after putting in the new axle, it went from 17 degrees with the old perches to 24 degrees with the new....I placed the new perches in at 15 degrees based on my original setup. :brickwall:

Looks like those old shims are going to get used after all, before they were to lower the pinion, this time to raise it. Hated to put them back in, but I'm sure as hell not dragging the axle back to Chris's house to re weld it.

The jeep doesn't dart to the right anymore like it did with the old tweaked axle, it chirps tires around corners if I goose it thanks to the posi. I even picked up a little lift because of the shorter perches and the slightly shorter perch shoulder.

Mr.B

• "But officer, it was a Subaru!"
  • Administrator
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2013, 07:55:36 PM »

Pics?
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

You're a super genius....
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein

norcal_chris

• always down to wheel
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2013, 08:14:56 PM »

I'm glad it worked out.  Now you don't have to worry about it all the time
Ruined a perfectly good jeep.

Day215

« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2013, 08:59:16 PM »

Pics?

Nothing to terribly remarkable, got the shock mounts up and out of harms way, painted it all shiney and new.
Before I put the shims back in:

After I put the shims back in:

Could probably use another degree or two upwards, but I can't feel any vibrations as it currently sits. I'm at a 1/4" of fuel with no backseat either, the added weight might bring the driveshaft down just a hair.

I'm glad it worked out.  Now you don't have to worry about it all the time

Yea, I'm stoked to get out and not have to worry if its going to leave me hanging. Thanks for the solid welds and all the advice, hi line fenders are next on the list. :2thumbsup:

Mr.B

• "But officer, it was a Subaru!"
  • Administrator
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2013, 10:50:08 PM »

That looks pretty good.

Nice mounted compressor tank by the way. :high5:
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

You're a super genius....
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein
Pages: 1 [2]