Norcal Jeepers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Tapatalk is still having problems starting new threads, but you can still reply to old threads

Welcome to Norcal Jeepers!
Welcome to Norcal Jeepers! It looks like you're not registered yet. As a guest you are missing out on a bunch of great content that is only viewable once you register. To register, simply follow the link below and fill out some information about yourself. It only takes a few minutes!

Click here to register now!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Clunking sound in the front end of my Chevy Uplander  (Read 12935 times)

The Bear Whisperer

• aka - Screaming "Bear"
Re: Clunking sound in the front end of my Chevy Uplander
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2013, 08:25:21 PM »

It's the apple in your glove box. Seriously, I like John's series of questions to help isolate the cause. From your answers it seems to be related to the effect of turning or power and not from bumps in the road. Any chance the drivetrain is shifting on a bad mount?

Well I had to remove the front struts, and rotate the engine forward, to replace the alternator about 3 weeks ago. The engine mount may have been damaged.
Ahhh, if that's when this clunk started we might be on to something. If you didn't unbolt the exhaust it may be too close to something now. I would grab the pipe when it is cool and see if you can move it around and hear the clunk. Maybe you should post an audio file like Agent did. I found those noises on your Jeep pretty quick, but this is tough without hearing it.
51 CJ3-A, 4.3 TBI Chevy, SM420, Dana 18TC, D30/44, Yukon Front Axles and Hubs, Detroit Fr / E-Locker Rr, 4.27:1 Gears, 74:1, HD steering, Viair 550C, 100% LED - VisionX headlights, Rigid Light-bar, DOT Fogs, Grote tail, Soft Top, Heater, CB/Ham/Stereo, 35"KM-2's, 3" up, no articulation - it works

Mr.B

• "But officer, it was a Subaru!"
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2013, 05:51:26 PM »

Well here's another mystery. The first day of rain today, and the clunking went away.
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

You're a super genius....
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2013, 06:07:41 PM »

Dry muffler bearings.

Mr.B

• Administrator
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein

pdangerp

« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2013, 07:56:34 PM »

umbrella rolling around in the footwell?

The Bear Whisperer

• aka - Screaming "Bear"
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2013, 07:59:37 PM »

My son had feedback through his steering wheel which felt like a shutter with some noise. He thought it was his steering rack but turned out to be the PS pump drive belt slipping. The damp weather could have an effect on your belts. Have you been applying bulb grease for dressing? (not my recommendation) Just a thought.
51 CJ3-A, 4.3 TBI Chevy, SM420, Dana 18TC, D30/44, Yukon Front Axles and Hubs, Detroit Fr / E-Locker Rr, 4.27:1 Gears, 74:1, HD steering, Viair 550C, 100% LED - VisionX headlights, Rigid Light-bar, DOT Fogs, Grote tail, Soft Top, Heater, CB/Ham/Stereo, 35"KM-2's, 3" up, no articulation - it works

dan_man

« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2013, 07:12:36 AM »

Replace your intermediate shaft chances are that's were the noise is conning from it's very common in chevys

Mr.B

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2013, 05:02:08 PM »

I have been trying to figure when it is actually happening. It seems to be happening upon accelerating and slowing down. Usually when I'm turning, I'm also speeding or slowing down. But I've been trying to turn without changing speed. I don't hear the clunking when I do this. To me, this is pointing to the motor mount. But I have been known to be wrong before.

JohnCrabtree

« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2013, 08:57:52 PM »

Does it do it when the weight shifts?

If so I would look at mounts for your front diff and motor.
94 ZJ 318

Mr.B

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2013, 09:34:49 PM »

I don't think it happens with shifting weight side to side. Just braking and accelerating.

JohnCrabtree

« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2013, 09:40:45 PM »

By that I meant,

Weight shifts when you start accelerating and it clunks, weight shifts when you start braking and it clunks.
94 ZJ 318

Mr.B

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2013, 06:26:09 AM »

By that I meant,

Weight shifts when you start accelerating and it clunks, weight shifts when you start braking and it clunks.

Yes, that is what's happening.

JohnCrabtree

« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2013, 09:24:21 AM »

Sounds like either a bad bushing somewhere, a bad from differential mount or a bad engine mount.
94 ZJ 318

The Bear Whisperer

• aka - Screaming "Bear"
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2013, 09:31:31 AM »

Check the torque on the axle nut, more likely a click sound from the splines shifting but worth checking.

Mr.B

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2013, 06:12:09 AM »

I ran the van through a car wash yesterday, and the clunking stopped for most of the day. So I'm going to try and narrow it down by spraying something on the rubber parts of the suspension and mounts. I think I'll start with the sway bar bushings, then move to the a-arm, and so on. What kind of spray should I use, that won't harm the rubber? I have WD-40, lots of different oil based lube sprays, PB Blaster, rubber roller restorer, plastic slip grease. I have yet to see any Zerk fittings under there.

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2013, 08:41:13 AM »

I'd use WD.

JohnCrabtree

« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2013, 07:34:47 PM »

WD definitely.
94 ZJ 318

Mr.B

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2013, 07:45:55 PM »

WD was going to be my first choice. I just didn't know if it would damage the rubber.

JohnCrabtree

« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2013, 10:00:56 PM »

It shouldn't. It's safe on paint and leather. I doubt that it will damage a rubber bushing. It's main ingredients are mineral spirits, petroleum gas, and mineral oil.
94 ZJ 318
Pages: 1 [2]