Norcal Jeepers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Tapatalk is still having problems starting new threads, but you can still reply to old threads

Welcome to Norcal Jeepers!
Welcome to Norcal Jeepers! It looks like you're not registered yet. As a guest you are missing out on a bunch of great content that is only viewable once you register. To register, simply follow the link below and fill out some information about yourself. It only takes a few minutes!

Click here to register now!

Author Topic: How to pass smog  (Read 2522 times)

The Bear Whisperer

• Supporting Member
  • aka - Screaming "Bear"
How to pass smog
« on: December 13, 2013, 06:06:54 PM »

Fart.  :shaking: I just repaired a Subaru SVX for someone which has been running on five cylinders for way too long. Bad coil on plug, easy to troubleshoot. Any way, it runs great now but the damage to the rings by running unburned fuel for so long is going to be an issue. I'll try STP or Restore but I think the oil burning is going to be an issue getting this thing to pass smog. Any of you Ca. guys know any tricks? I've never had to smog a vehicle where I live.  :smokin:
51 CJ3-A, 4.3 TBI Chevy, SM420, Dana 18TC, 30/44 Full Floaters, Yukon Front Axle and Hubs, rear drive flanges, Detroit Fr / E-Locker Rr, 4.27:1 Gears, 74:1, HD steering / 4 wheel disk brakes, Viair 550C, 100% LED - VisionX headlights, Rigid Light-bar, DOT Fogs, Grote tail, Soft Top and Heater, 35"KM-2's, 3" up, no articulation - it works

norcal_chris

• always down to wheel
Re: How to pass smog
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 06:14:53 PM »

Pull the injector and hope for the best ?  :laughing:
Ruined a perfectly good jeep.

Goobersbro

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 07:51:52 PM »

Thick oil lol

Mr.B

• "But officer, it was a Subaru!"
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 01:20:02 PM »

Well the unburned fuel most assuredly cooked the cat.

I like mine with red peppers and onions, and a Teriyaki sauce. :biggrin:

HC probably won't be as much of an issue as NOx.
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

You're a super genius....
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein

The Bear Whisperer

• Supporting Member
  • aka - Screaming "Bear"
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2013, 03:12:00 PM »

Well the unburned fuel most assuredly cooked the cat.

I like mine with red peppers and onions, and a Teriyaki sauce. :biggrin:

HC probably won't be as much of an issue as NOx.
I ran the hell out of it and the smoking seems to have subsided. I will add a pint of Bardahl or Rislone smoke juice just for laughs. Yep, the cat might be cooked, smells a little funny to me. "most assuredly" :laughing: I take it HC is from oil burning and the NOx is removed with the cat.
51 CJ3-A, 4.3 TBI Chevy, SM420, Dana 18TC, 30/44 Full Floaters, Yukon Front Axle and Hubs, rear drive flanges, Detroit Fr / E-Locker Rr, 4.27:1 Gears, 74:1, HD steering / 4 wheel disk brakes, Viair 550C, 100% LED - VisionX headlights, Rigid Light-bar, DOT Fogs, Grote tail, Soft Top and Heater, 35"KM-2's, 3" up, no articulation - it works

Mr.B

• "But officer, it was a Subaru!"
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2013, 05:51:59 PM »

I'm not an expert, but I've spent a lot of time listening to smog people, telling me why I didn't pass.

By the way, this is my cat. For all you Pita people out there. It was just a joke.

White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

You're a super genius....
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein

Jam86

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2013, 06:20:22 PM »

What year is it, there's a lot of stations out there that will let you test it and only pay if you pass kinda thing.
I got a 6 foot bed that never has to be made!

The Bear Whisperer

• Supporting Member
  • aka - Screaming "Bear"
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2013, 07:41:26 PM »

What year is it, there's a lot of stations out there that will let you test it and only pay if you pass kinda thing.
It's a 93 Subaru SVX. (predecessor to the WRX) He lives in Reno, Washoe County requires the test. I have no idea how they work the program.

connor0770

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2013, 11:50:34 AM »

tell him to register it in Carson City! make it easy
-97 TJ, 35's, Currie 4" lift, Dana 30 w/ ARB, 8.8, Trail Gear Front Bumper With w/ XRC8, LOD Tire Carrier, UCF Tummy Tuck, Smittybuilt Corners, Poison Spider Sliders

The Bear Whisperer

• Supporting Member
  • aka - Screaming "Bear"
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2013, 12:16:32 PM »

If it doesn't pass smog, he will need to. I don't want the liability for someone who doesn't make the best decisions. He's not using my address!

connor0770

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2013, 04:50:44 PM »

If it doesn't pass smog, he will need to. I don't want the liability for someone who doesn't make the best decisions. He's not using my address!

would a P.O. box work? I know for dirtbikes, you can register a bike in Vermont at a PO box so you can get it street legal here in CA
-97 TJ, 35's, Currie 4" lift, Dana 30 w/ ARB, 8.8, Trail Gear Front Bumper With w/ XRC8, LOD Tire Carrier, UCF Tummy Tuck, Smittybuilt Corners, Poison Spider Sliders

The Bear Whisperer

• Supporting Member
  • aka - Screaming "Bear"
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2013, 05:20:23 PM »

would a P.O. box work? I know for dirtbikes, you can register a bike in Vermont at a PO box so you can get it street legal here in CA
I used Pa. PO box for motorcycle reg. way back  :thumbsup:  We'll see how it does, thanks for the ideas guys. I'd like to see him get it legal. Be nice to leave the 370Z at home when it snows. We fitted the Z with Spiders so it's going to move okay too. 30 seconds to install but $$$

The Bear Whisperer

• Supporting Member
  • aka - Screaming "Bear"
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2013, 12:51:55 PM »

Put the red peppers and onions away Ben, it passed smog with flying colors. Surprised the shit out of me! That Rislone Ring juice was good stuff.

over and out- lock it up