Norcal Jeepers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Tapatalk is still having problems starting new threads, but you can still reply to old threads

Welcome to Norcal Jeepers!
Welcome to Norcal Jeepers! It looks like you're not registered yet. As a guest you are missing out on a bunch of great content that is only viewable once you register. To register, simply follow the link below and fill out some information about yourself. It only takes a few minutes!

Click here to register now!

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Tube Bender  (Read 7383 times)

timatoe

• Administrator
Tube Bender
« on: December 16, 2013, 02:56:09 PM »

If you were going to buy a bender........

Which one would you get and why?

Also, if you could only afford one die to start with which one and why?

norcal_chris

• always down to wheel
Re: Tube Bender
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 03:02:10 PM »

Jd2.  Not a bad price, quality unit, ability to use air/hydro addon if wanted later.

If I didn't have a cage.  1.75. First project would be cage as its most important.
If I had a cage 1.5. Bumpers, crossmembers, misc fabrication lends well to 1.5tube

My .02
Ruined a perfectly good jeep.

Tru_Fab_Built

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 04:13:19 PM »

I have the JD2.  Awesome bender.  Easy to use for what projects you have.  You can take Chris's .02 and times it by 2 for .02.  Misc. I'd have 1.5" 4.5 CLR. And 1.75" 5.5 CLR

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 05:45:34 PM »

Thanks guys.  I'll have to re-count my pennies and see, maybe I can get both.  I absolutely agree on the cage point.  I was gonna put this money toward a cage but I think this makes more sense.

connor0770

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 09:35:39 PM »

what if i said i could get you a ProBender Pro3 Bender & 1-3/4" O.D. 6" CLR 240(degree) Die with stand and 8 Ton Air/Hydro Ram for $700 OBO?
-97 TJ, 35's, Currie 4" lift, Dana 30 w/ ARB, 8.8, Trail Gear Front Bumper With w/ XRC8, LOD Tire Carrier, UCF Tummy Tuck, Smittybuilt Corners, Poison Spider Sliders

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, 10:19:41 PM »

I'd say that's pretty good.  I think their deal on Pirate was just under $600 without the ram or stand.  Although I've got plenty of 2x2 to build the stand on the garage floor and their ram is a harbor freight ram they want $120 for and I can get for about $80.  Who's got it?

I was looking at the JD2 with the Pirate discount it's roughly $270 for the bender and $270 for the die.  Of course there's still a stand etc to deal with.

What if I make you this deal?????? I'll buy that, you buy a 1.5" die, you keep it at my house and you can use the bender anytime you want?   :rofl:

They use Pro-Tools dies?

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2013, 01:38:56 AM »

Hello, hello, hello.......  You post that and keep me hanging?

Day215

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2013, 07:07:47 PM »

He out shopping with the girlfriend, somebody has to hold all those bags! :biggrin:

Hope it turns out better than this guy:

http://gawker.com/man-commits-suicide-in-mall-after-girlfriend-refuses-to-1479660064
92 Toyota minitruck Front Dana 60 4.88s, Lincoln locked, drive slugs blah blah blah. Rear Dana 70 4.88s, Lincoln locked, 63 chevys. W56 5speed, 2.28 duals, 22re. 39.5s and other stuff. Bobbed, exod, cut up etc. I used to wheel a YJ, then I defected. Now no one talks to me anymore.....cant completly blame that on the switch though.

I'm out of the club. Stay away from my wiener.

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2013, 10:37:04 AM »

Yeah that dude REALLY hated shopping.

So I looked at the JD2 and with the Pirate discount I can afford two dies and the bender, the ram kit from Swag and a air/hydro ram from HF.  But holy shit, it's $191 for shipping for the bender and dies.  Gonna see if I can find something more local before pulling the pin.

connor0770

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2013, 12:29:19 PM »

Its not mine for sale its my buddies in Reno. Let me ask him and see what he says. That was his friend price, so ill see if I can pass it on.
-97 TJ, 35's, Currie 4" lift, Dana 30 w/ ARB, 8.8, Trail Gear Front Bumper With w/ XRC8, LOD Tire Carrier, UCF Tummy Tuck, Smittybuilt Corners, Poison Spider Sliders

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2013, 03:15:22 PM »

His "friend" price is barely below retail.  Saving a little and cost of shipping really, see what he says though.

Found a JD2 with 3 dies, stand, factory hydro etc... $1,500 which is still a good deal, but more than I wanna drop right now.

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2013, 09:31:51 PM »

Looking at the ProBender site it looks like they've gone up considerably on their prices, so if your buddy still has that one for that price it's likely a good deal.  I do like how that one functions though without taking up a lot of space etc.... 

norcal_chris

• always down to wheel
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2013, 10:30:52 PM »

I really dislike the vertical setup benders..   I nust like everything on a horizontal plane.  Plus I don't want the thing I'm bending sticking 10ft up in the air if it needs compound bends

Personal preference
Ruined a perfectly good jeep.

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2013, 08:20:39 AM »

I hear ya there, if I had a large shop to work in I'd certainly agree.  My concern is the limited space I've got and being able to move it about if needed.  I've got a detached two car garage that's all mine to work in, but I've also got two project vehicles, so even having two two car garages isn't enough space.  Maybe I just need to build a 40x60 shop. :high5:

Tru_Fab_Built

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2013, 08:44:08 AM »

40x60 shop 😎I'd give you my bender to use of you let play in the shop!!

Tru_Fab_Built

« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2013, 08:44:55 AM »

Il do the grading for you when do decided if that helps get the shop up and going lol. 

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2013, 10:38:17 AM »

Sweet.  It's likely a year out though.  I think where I want it I'll have to build up one side, but we'll see how that goes.  There's a seasonal creek that runs right next to where I want it to go, wanna make sure it doesn't come in the building.

connor0770

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2013, 02:41:55 PM »

It was sold.. Sorry Tim

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2013, 05:10:44 PM »

That's alright, I've got a friend who works at Fastenal and said they can likely order a bender, save a little and not have to pay shipping.

pdangerp

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2015, 11:37:13 AM »

So I'm going to "necro" this thread from the dead to ask some follow-up questions. Tim and I are planning on going in on some fab tools. I'm going to get the bender, and he is going to get the notcher. He already has a welder. I figure we can use these tools to help build tire carriers, tube fenders, and possibly a cage for Tim.

From those saying to go with the JD2 bender: The 3 or the 32? They accept different dies. The 32 seems to be more robust and have anti-springback function. It's $100 more. I have a large patio in the back where I plan to have a mount for the bender, so the horizontal bending isn't an issue.

What bender does everyone have? Is anyone willing to share dies as a group? I figure they're used so infrequently, that it doesn't make sense to double-up on dies if they are interchangeable.
Pages: [1] 2 3