Norcal Jeepers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Welcome to Norcal Jeepers!
Welcome to Norcal Jeepers! It looks like you're not registered yet. As a guest you are missing out on a bunch of great content that is only viewable once you register. To register, simply follow the link below and fill out some information about yourself. It only takes a few minutes!

Click here to register now!

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9]

Author Topic: 98 TJ student build up aka tight budget money pit  (Read 8246 times)

Mr.B

• "But officer, it was a Subaru!"
  • Administrator
Re: 98 TJ student build up aka tight budget money pit
« Reply #160 on: December 19, 2016, 08:31:57 AM »

I knew they were imgur pics.

Here is a screen shot of what imgur looks like when you pull up a pic. Notice the lower right corner, where it has different sizes. The large thumbnail and huge thumbnail work best. If you click on one of those first, before you copy the link, the picture will be smaller.

This is a "large thumbnail" of the pic:

This is a "huge thumbnail" of the same pic:

I hope this helps.

I used to use Photobucket, but they have become an ad whore and pop up queen. Plus they are now limiting the amount of free pics. Imgur is harder to use, but they don't screw with you.

Also, if you are going to use the the huge thumbnail, please limit the amount of pics to @three per post. Its hard to get all the way down to the slider bar with a lot of pics per post. :high5: vvvv
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

You're a super genius....
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein

Mr.B

• Administrator
« Reply #161 on: December 19, 2016, 08:50:34 AM »

Tapatalk automatically reduces the size of the pics. PC software does not.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein

tearin_updirt

« Reply #162 on: December 21, 2016, 06:13:10 PM »

Thanks for Barney styling it for me Ben. I should be able to do it now... you would hope.

I knew they were imgur pics.

Here is a screen shot of what imgur looks like when you pull up a pic. Notice the lower right corner, where it has different sizes. The large thumbnail and huge thumbnail work best. If you click on one of those first, before you copy the link, the picture will be smaller.

This is a "large thumbnail" of the pic:

This is a "huge thumbnail" of the same pic:

I hope this helps.

I used to use Photobucket, but they have become an ad whore and pop up queen. Plus they are now limiting the amount of free pics. Imgur is harder to use, but they don't screw with you.

Also, if you are going to use the the huge thumbnail, please limit the amount of pics to @three per post. Its hard to get all the way down to the slider bar with a lot of pics per post. :high5: vvvv
98 TJ aka Little Mudder
4.88 and Locked

Mr.B

• Administrator
« Reply #163 on: December 21, 2016, 09:39:30 PM »

You and a few other guys on here. :cheers:

tearin_updirt

« Reply #164 on: December 26, 2016, 03:36:17 AM »

Been messing around with the 4 link calculator. Not anywhere near my TJ so kind of educated guess the numbers I didn't know and couldn't measure without my TJ off other people's TJ 4 link calculator posts. I know the vertical separation should be at 6" I think 5" should do the trick with just 35s and a 4.0L? I am pretty stoked about finally getting a solid 90% anti-squat and 0-degree axis roll. (Read up you want 80-100% anti-squat and 0 axis roll for the best results for our suspension applications)This will be my DD and weekend warrior crawler. Here are my calculations feel free to tell me I screwed the pooch.

98 TJ aka Little Mudder
4.88 and Locked

Skorch

« Reply #165 on: December 26, 2016, 07:58:55 AM »

A few items for thought, your front axle with tires and 1/2 your suspension probably weighs more than 300lbs, rears probably more also.  You can run less antiquat and still hook up just fine. If you stay around 5 inch separation at the frame and 10 inches at the axle you will be in the hunt. Mark

tearin_updirt

« Reply #166 on: December 26, 2016, 11:08:02 AM »

A few items for thought, your front axle with tires and 1/2 your suspension probably weighs more than 300lbs, rears probably more also.  You can run less antiquat and still hook up just fine. If you stay around 5 inch separation at the frame and 10 inches at the axle you will be in the hunt. Mark

The weight can be adjusted for I changed it to 650lbs rear and 550lbs front, I just increased the upper link separation from the axle and frame mount by an 1" giving me still 0 roll axis and 97% anti-squat. I will also install adjustable upper link mounts until I get exactly where I want it. When does the 25% rule come into play? How do you have 10" of separation at the axle? I am 4 link illiterate just trying to learn.
98 TJ aka Little Mudder
4.88 and Locked

Skorch

« Reply #167 on: December 27, 2016, 04:40:26 PM »

Front always weighs more than the rear, steering axles weigh more than non.  75% rule is based on the uppers being 75% linear of the lowers. Some adhere to it , some don't. Shorter upper makes more antiquated when the suspension is compressed, it also doesn't do a very good job of pointing the pinion to the output.  Longer upper points the pinion to the output better , but takes away some antisquat  when compressed. Pretty easy to get 10 inches at the axle.

Skorch

« Reply #168 on: December 27, 2016, 04:42:06 PM »

This has some easy to read information.    http://www.4wheelunderground.com/

connor0770

• Administrator
« Reply #169 on: December 30, 2016, 09:44:25 AM »

I just went through the whole 4/3 link ordeal. First off, I owe NorCalChris multiple mountain Dews and a ride in the Jeep when its done for all the texts and phone calls he answered while I was setting my suspension up. Second, don't listen to everything you read on the internet. I started reading WAY too much and thought my 3 link had to be perfect. Well, thats incredibly hard to do while working around exhaust and a driveshaft.

Your best bet is to get a good kit that comes with all the pieces. I pieced my 4 link together with artec and ruffstuff. It worked, but i had to make a few minor modifications. For the 3 link, I highly recommend starting with an all inclusive kit. Setting up the 3 link was the hardest for me, especially with the axle swap/stretch, and new tube frame.  Be weary of ruffstuffs kits. They make good stuff, but they are UNIVERSAL parts, and don't fit as nice as a kit designed for a TJ.

Here are my numbers. I moved my 3 link upper 6 times. Lots of back and forth.

-97 TJ, 35's, Currie 4" lift, Dana 30 w/ ARB, 8.8, Trail Gear Front Bumper With w/ XRC8, LOD Tire Carrier, UCF Tummy Tuck, Smittybuilt Corners, Poison Spider Sliders

Mr.B

• Administrator
« Reply #170 on: December 30, 2016, 05:25:22 PM »

First off, I owe NorCalChris multiple mountain Dews...

I think he's moved on to Gatorade now. At least until the kidney stones start. :biggrin:

By the way, your pics don't work.

tearin_updirt

« Reply #171 on: January 15, 2017, 09:15:58 AM »

Changed the location of the Y link TRE and the regular TRE to make steering an inverted T. aired all the tires up to 30 psi and aligned the steering but I am still getting a pretty nice death wobble from 33-50mph. Any ideas on what could be causing this?
98 TJ aka Little Mudder
4.88 and Locked

Sccafire

« Reply #172 on: January 16, 2017, 08:15:12 AM »

Trackbar is a good place to start. From the front passenger wheel, grab the top of it and move it in and out while looking at the trackbar mount on the opposite side. If it moves then it needs to be addressed. Also do the same with the other side.
Scott
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9]