Norcal Jeepers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Tapatalk is still having problems starting new threads, but you can still reply to old threads

Welcome to Norcal Jeepers!
Welcome to Norcal Jeepers! It looks like you're not registered yet. As a guest you are missing out on a bunch of great content that is only viewable once you register. To register, simply follow the link below and fill out some information about yourself. It only takes a few minutes!

Click here to register now!

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11]

Author Topic: 98 TJ student build up aka tight budget money pit  (Read 33856 times)

tearin_updirt

Re: 98 TJ student build up aka tight budget money pit
« Reply #200 on: January 29, 2019, 10:01:43 AM »

Hi Lines UPDATE

For the most part they are finished just need to touch paint on a few spots, install hood pins, get hood and cowl repainted, figure out how to attach the inner fender to the grill for the sheet metal screw backed themselves out very quickly, and figure out why my turn signals blinks as fast a crack addict tweaking on that good good.

Jeep Current Issues

My Jeep for some reason is deciding every bolt that came from the factory welded on the stock cross members should break the welds and spin. I am going to have to cut out the rear gas tank cross member soon. I was going to replace with 1"x 3" 1/4wall square tubing drill holes through and weld the bolts on the top. Of course I am going to have to out board rear shocks and might as well correct the upper coil spring location.

Heater currently doesn't work and idles at like 1 grand the times she decides to kick over. I ordered a vacuum hose kit from amazon going to have to chase all those issues down. Randomly at like three grand it will cut out so I need to clean my throttle body, possibly order a new sensor for it as well, and definitely time for a new cone filter with a pre filter I was looking at Amsoil dry filter but any recommendations is vastly appreciated.

Need to repaint my rock sliders but don't want to lose my Nor Cal Jeepers stickers so if anyone has any extras laying around please let me know! I also need to measure where I need to lope off the front a little bit so it isn't rubbing on my hi lines then paint and mount em back on the ole green turd.

Getting Real tired of the shit ride from my short arms so was planning to 4 link my rear 8.8 with chromo shafts because I honestly don't ever want to go past 37s or get much wider. However I have seem to lost my notebook chock full of all my ideas and sketches so I am going have to start all over. Which sucks because I had everything planned out and measured out. Plan to do this when I cut out my old gas tank cross member.

Looking to update my front axle to something that could handle 37s and sell off my built dana 30. LOL built. I was really wanting to do something sexy and cool like a fabricated 9" housing with 60 outers but pricing that out made me realize that's way out of my price range. So I was thinking something like a wagoneer 44 or ford 44 hp convert it 5x5.5 so I will have the same wheel bolt pattern front and rear. 3 link or radius arm the front. Maybe even doing some coil overs to simplify the front and rotate the steering box flat to help with drag link and front track bar on the same plane with a slight front stretch.

Still Plan to build the sub frame to mount the lower links just decided maybe it wasn't worth my time to do that with the dana 30 for I think its resale value will be higher if I keep stock brackets so someone can just bolt it up under his or her TJ.

Before I start cutting out cross members and all that I want to get my roommates 220 Volt Arc welder fixed so I can burn them in with rod I trust for structural loads. Obviously gotta get some practice with it first but I am fairly confident in my welding abilities and love spending time under the hood/reading all the welding books.

98 TJ aka Little Mudder
4.88 and Locked

Mr.B

• "But officer, it was a Subaru!"
  • Administrator
« Reply #201 on: January 30, 2019, 12:42:07 PM »

My Jeep for some reason is deciding every bolt that came from the factory welded on the stock cross members should break the welds and spin. I am going to have to cut out the rear gas tank cross member soon. I was going to replace with 1"x 3" 1/4wall square tubing drill holes through and weld the bolts on the top. Of course I am going to have to out board rear shocks and might as well correct the upper coil spring location.

I used some 3x5", 1/4" angle iron for my rotted rear crossmember. I did trim the 5" side. But it'll a tire carrier no  problem. It might be easier to work than a 1x3.

Heater currently doesn't work and idles at like 1 grand the times she decides to kick over. I ordered a vacuum hose kit from amazon going to have to chase all those issues down.

You should check your exhaust manifold for hidden cracks or leaks.

Nice job on the hi-line. :2thumbsup:
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

You're a super genius....
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein

tearin_updirt

« Reply #202 on: January 31, 2019, 11:07:30 AM »

I used some 3x5", 1/4" angle iron for my rotted rear crossmember. I did trim the 5" side. But it'll a tire carrier no  problem. It might be easier to work than a 1x3.

You should check your exhaust manifold for hidden cracks or leaks.

Nice job on the hi-line. :2thumbsup:

Yeah I haven't thought about that. At that point wouldn't it just be easier to pick up 1/4" steel flat bar?
I was just thinking the 1"x3" to make gusseting easier and stiffening the rear frame. Definitely need to toy around with some ideas. I was also thinking about cutting a lot of the crap out and moving the tank back a couple inches. In turn allowing me to push the 8.8 back when I 4 link and put in the new 1/4" tank I still have sitting in CA.

I think its a vacuum leak for pretty much none of them are attached under my hood but its highly possible my manifold cracked fairly common.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 11:57:20 AM by tearin_updirt »
98 TJ aka Little Mudder
4.88 and Locked

Mr.B

• Administrator
« Reply #203 on: January 31, 2019, 06:19:13 PM »

With the wider top, it ties into the body mounts.

These pics are from the install. I have a Warn tire carrier now and the frame has the corners cut off to match the carrier.
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein

tearin_updirt

« Reply #204 on: February 12, 2019, 11:47:49 AM »

With the wider top, it ties into the body mounts.

These pics are from the install. I have a Warn tire carrier now and the frame has the corners cut off to match the carrier.

Oh yeah that's right the body mounts are also a part of the rear cross-member i totally spaced on that. Good looks thanks Ben!!
98 TJ aka Little Mudder
4.88 and Locked

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #205 on: February 12, 2019, 08:26:04 PM »

I cut my rear cross member off and welded a 3/16-2x4 in it's place then essentially put a large gusset in each corner to catch the body mounts.  That piece serves as the rear bumper and the rear mount for the leaf springs.

tearin_updirt

« Reply #206 on: May 28, 2019, 09:37:35 AM »

Its been a minute since I been on here but finally solved some issues in my jeep and now stuck at a weird cross roads on my build.

I figured out the idle issue and lurching it was a bad idle air control valve and throttle position sensor combine with broken vacuum hoses.

Cross member for the rear I am waiting on my buddy to wire up his buzz box been looking into picking up a hobart 230A mig for I am tired of waiting.

Paint hasn't happened either but I honestly am not that worried about my jeeps paint for I always destroy it off road.

My cross roads for my build is I am getting pretty tired of DDing my jeep on 4.88s and the short arm suspension. I really want to go to linking the suspension or something a little bit more comfortable/allow for longer shocks with more travel.
I also don't want to cut off the stock brackets on my 8.8 for I feel like the resale value will be higher if someone else can just bolt it right in to the TJ stock suspension.

So I have been pondering selling my whole under carriage for the most part: tcase, axles, beadlocks/tires, control arms, drive shafts, track bars, and steering.

I want to pick up a HP Dana 44 and 14 bolt put those under the jeep with 4.56 or 4.10 in the axle and put either a np205 triple sticks with a black box or ORD Magnum Box Attached to it or Atlas 2 (I really cant find any other solutions for TJ t case options for a fkipped dana 300 seems like it never last and behemoth drive train sells a driver side drop billet case but I Haven't read great reviews on the owners integrity/customer service) with 4.3 or up gearing in it then eventually add the black box on the front to make it a triple stick making up for the lack of gearing in the axle off road. I also need a cage bad I am getting a little too ballsy I think for the stock cage.

Where I am torn is I have gotten all these ideas in my head but I don't know which direction to go.

First Crazy Idea: Old Iron (Inspired by 2014 ultimate adventure 1990 Dodge Tug Truck
Is to chop the back half of my jeep off use 2"x4" rectangular tube to extend the frame to fit a m101 military trailer cargo bed on it making a regular cab pick up.
If I do that I will put leafs in the back for ease of mounting the 14 bolt and ability to load up the bed or tow if I need to. 3 link the front dana 44 hp and run coil springs with adjustable shocks front and rear. I would have to build a custom front half cage, custom cross members for the new transfer case setup, try to get a flat skid, figure out what gas tank and where to mount it, make custom body mounts for the bed, extend the fuel/brake/electrical to reach, get new driveshafts made up, shock towers front/rear, custom fab sliders and rear bumper, and figure out how to enclose the front half.
I think this will be the most convenient idea for now I will go from not being able to load anything to getting a truck with a full bed.
This idea I would sell off pretty much everything and will have to do a ton of custom fabrication.

Second Crazy Idea:
Get a full cage for the TJ. Stretch the rear with 14 bolt and XJ springs/ moving the tank into the back seat of the TJ until a more viable solution found. 3 link the dana 44hp with lower links mounted on a sub frame that holds up new t case set up and flat skid. Rotate the steering box up and do a slight front stretch/hydro assist steering.

Third Crazy Idea:
Get a full cage for the TJ. Tummy tuck the jeep building a sub frame to hold lower links and new t case set up. Create a rear 5 link using all stock  suspension locations at the axle side for the 8.8 and put on spacers to make it close to 65". I was hoping to get a mild rear stretch in that process. Probably going to have to pick up a HF bender to put slight bends in the DOM to fit and cycle properly. I assume I will have to move the stock tank into the back until i can find a permanent solution. Put a dana 44 hp in the front with a 3 link run coils with out boarded shocks front and rear.
As my funds once again replenish sell of the rear axle and get a 65"wms 14 bolt to link and put in the back.
Downside is my gearing would probably still be 4.88 for I dont wan to spend anymore money on the 8.8 and front has to match the rear to use 4wd:

Fourth Idea:
Dont sell anything. Create the rear 5 link for ford 8.8 and make radius arms for dana 30. tummy tuck the stock drivetrain and build sub frame for lower links to mount to. Get a full cage and put gas tank in the back. Run this set up with coils and out boarded shocks.

Save money until until I can afford building a front 609 and matching rear, stretch the front with hydro assist and an astro steering box put it on coilovers. Stretch the rear and put on coilovers with gen right stretch tank in the back

EDIT: I am just trying to spitball bounce some ideas of people for I don't have many jeep friends in Alabama let alone guys to ping these kinda ideas off. Any thoughts/insight or counter ideas welcomed for this all hypothetical at this stage.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 12:35:44 PM by tearin_updirt »
98 TJ aka Little Mudder
4.88 and Locked

Mr.B

• Administrator
« Reply #207 on: May 30, 2019, 06:19:46 AM »

Well My knowledge of slinky springs and what not is limited. But I think that #4 seems the most workable with the funds you have.

tearin_updirt

« Reply #208 on: May 31, 2019, 11:52:27 AM »

Well My knowledge of slinky springs and what not is limited. But I think that #4 seems the most workable with the funds you have.

Yeah always comes down to that bread, however not as fun per say. From pricing it out building a dana 44 isn't much cheaper than building a dana 60, not what I was expecting if I we are being honest
98 TJ aka Little Mudder
4.88 and Locked

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #209 on: May 31, 2019, 05:24:12 PM »

No, building a 44 isn't much cheaper than building a 60 the big price difference is getting the axle initially.

I kinda like the #1 idea.  #2 isn't a bad idea but I'd use different springs if you're going to use leafs, something like F150, Explorer etc. with a greater offset for more stretch.

Any of the options you decide to go with I think entail getting a welder first.

tearin_updirt

« Reply #210 on: June 02, 2019, 01:20:19 PM »

No, building a 44 isn't much cheaper than building a 60 the big price difference is getting the axle initially.

I kinda like the #1 idea.  #2 isn't a bad idea but I'd use different springs if you're going to use leafs, something like F150, Explorer etc. with a greater offset for more stretch.

Any of the options you decide to go with I think entail getting a welder first.

Yeah I love #1 I think it would be such a cool build to do and definitely something you don't see everyday

I have a little mig that does 1/4" as its max I am looking to get something with a higher amperage like a 230A so I can weld 1/4" and 3/16"without doing multiple passes and peace of mind.

Thanks for the pointers on the leafs! From what I have been reading a lot of people run xj springs for stretching the rear, any insight or experience with XJ springs?
98 TJ aka Little Mudder
4.88 and Locked

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #211 on: June 02, 2019, 09:48:06 PM »

I run a dual pack on the front. I just don’t think they offer enough stretch for the rear. They’re also very soft, thus the double pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tearin_updirt

« Reply #212 on: June 03, 2019, 10:22:45 AM »

I run a dual pack on the front. I just don’t think they offer enough stretch for the rear. They’re also very soft, thus the double pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That makes sense an XJ would have softer springs than an f-150. f-150 leafs is probably a better option for the bed from the m101 isn't light plus whatever I load into it. Thanks for the insight  :2thumbsup:
98 TJ aka Little Mudder
4.88 and Locked

tearin_updirt

« Reply #213 on: June 06, 2020, 05:58:00 AM »

Been a long time since last post been busy and moving a ton for work recently, however that comes with some perks including a nice paycheck.
I dropped the ole bucket of bolts off at Undercover Fabrication in Dothan had them build a sexy cage for me. Along with set me up with proper long arms in front and rear, outboard the rear shocks, correct the rear coils to be straight, and then 12" travel ranchos all four corners.
It is like a brand new jeep, rides completely different and handles like a dream on/off the road. I also finally finished my tummy tuck I been talking about for ages.
I decided to stay with the current suspension tabs instead of a 3 link or 4 link for the resale value of the axle set so someone after me can bolt it up with their TJs short arms. However tbh I am thinking once these 35s are bald just slapping on 37s until the dana 30 quits. My 8.8 can definitely handle it with the c clip eliminator and chromoly shafts.

98 TJ aka Little Mudder
4.88 and Locked

tearin_updirt

« Reply #214 on: June 06, 2020, 06:00:06 AM »

Couple more things to handle before 4th of july wheeling trip. What paint seems to last best on a cage? I also need some advice on how to delete some excess wires in the harness from the hi fender swap fore those side marker lights and wiring were no longer being used. I think it may be contributing to my wiring gremlins.

Any help is vastly appreciated! Dreaming of one day I can make it back west.
98 TJ aka Little Mudder
4.88 and Locked
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11]