Norcal Jeepers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Tapatalk is still having problems starting new threads, but you can still reply to old threads

Welcome to Norcal Jeepers!
Welcome to Norcal Jeepers! It looks like you're not registered yet. As a guest you are missing out on a bunch of great content that is only viewable once you register. To register, simply follow the link below and fill out some information about yourself. It only takes a few minutes!

Click here to register now!

Author Topic: Kayaks  (Read 1030 times)

Screaming Bear

Kayaks
« on: August 06, 2013, 02:38:51 PM »

Anybody have advice on buying a decent kayak? I just want a good entry level single for lake use, no whitewater. I see Pelican, Perception, Old Town and others for under $400 new. 40lbs sure beats hauling my heavy ass canoe around.

Tru_Fab_Built

Re: Kayaks
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 03:42:48 PM »

Look at Costco. My parents have two that I use from time to.  They are great if you don't mind the holes in the seat.  Your ass is always wet but for summer time it's great for the price

SquareLite

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 05:50:41 PM »

My father in law just bought two entry level kayaks. They are wilderness systems something or another. Just a regular recreational kayak. I think they may be the aspire model, not sure on length. I think he got a smokin deal on them, which is close to your budget. I'll be paddling loon lake in them this weekend. I can gather some more info and let you know how they perform.

Sent from my broke ass iPhone using Tapatalk

connor0770

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2013, 09:19:39 PM »

Lol brings me back to when I sold kayaks at scheels.  For 2 people or 1? Do you plan on fishing out of it? Camping with it? Plan on going to the ocean with it? 
-97 TJ, 35's, Currie 4" lift, Dana 30 w/ ARB, 8.8, Trail Gear Front Bumper With w/ XRC8, LOD Tire Carrier, UCF Tummy Tuck, Smittybuilt Corners, Poison Spider Sliders

connor0770

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2013, 09:21:51 PM »

Sit in doesn't get you wet. Unless you get splashed...  Sit on tops are more stable then you think. Sit in is more comfortable especially with a high back seat (IMO). Make sure to get foot pegs, you will notice a substantial increase in power.
-97 TJ, 35's, Currie 4" lift, Dana 30 w/ ARB, 8.8, Trail Gear Front Bumper With w/ XRC8, LOD Tire Carrier, UCF Tummy Tuck, Smittybuilt Corners, Poison Spider Sliders

Tru_Fab_Built

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2013, 09:22:34 PM »

Yea, wet ass. Don't have that issue with the canoe. Aren't the Costco kayaks "sit on top"? Two Beers was saying the "sit in" type seemed more stable, but my guess is much wetter too. Probably go with 9.5- 10 ft length to keep the weight around 40lbs.
y
Yes the ones at Costco you sit on.  Stability isn't an issue unless you can't walk to start off.  I know they both have pros and cons.  I'm not a kayak expert either so I hope my 2cents helped.

mjk

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2013, 09:49:49 PM »

The manufacturers you mentioned are all pretty good---it really depends on what you want to do with the kayak. I paddle a 13' perception--cost was a bit more than $400 new, however deals can be had in the used market. Check craigslist a lot of people buy a kayak, use it a couple of times and then it just sits on the side of their house for years.

pdangerp

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2013, 11:54:45 AM »

Why only 40lbs? Seems arbitrary. Why not 45 or 50?

Mr.B

• "But officer, it was a Subaru!"
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2013, 01:48:45 PM »

Are talking about smell? Because then I'd have to disagree.  :biggrin:
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

You're a super genius....
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2014, 10:02:26 PM »

Pretty sure those are Bald Eagles.

whiteyj1994

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2014, 10:08:44 PM »

Well we have two now and I really like the Wilderness Pungo 120 over the Old Town Vapor 10. Both are well made and have large cockpits. Sprung for a carbon fiber paddle with the Pungo. Hundred dollars more to save seven oz. crazy. The dog loves to go also but offsets the balance to the front too much.

Here are some pictures from today. Saw four or five of what I think are Bald Eagles, but the same birds at Buck Island everyone came to the conclusion they were Vultures. (not the geese) Any body know for sure?
http://s933.photobucket.com/user/dgjones703/slideshow/Silver%20Lake%207-3-14
yep those first pictures are geese, and the last ones look like bald eagles to me. We have a couple of breeding pairs up here that we see from time to time but never get any good pictures like that.

Mr.B

• "But officer, it was a Subaru!"
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2014, 07:59:32 AM »

Canadian Geese. Great pics.
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

You're a super genius....
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein

whiteyj1994

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2014, 03:02:49 PM »

sorry off topic but is it just me or is that falcon right hand drive?

Jam86

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2014, 07:55:00 PM »

sorry off topic but is it just me or is that falcon right hand drive?
It's just you. The steering wheel is pushed back into rear seats
I got a 6 foot bed that never has to be made!

Dirtkar

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2014, 07:57:11 PM »

Yep, look like beautiful Bald Eagles to me.
Are you planning on selling the Vapor 10? I'm in the market.  :biggrin:
Well, I jerked my first tranny. That was awkward.

pdangerp

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2014, 09:52:16 PM »

I might be interested