Norcal Jeepers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Tapatalk is still having problems starting new threads, but you can still reply to old threads

Welcome to Norcal Jeepers!
Welcome to Norcal Jeepers! It looks like you're not registered yet. As a guest you are missing out on a bunch of great content that is only viewable once you register. To register, simply follow the link below and fill out some information about yourself. It only takes a few minutes!

Click here to register now!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Welder Extension Cord  (Read 5662 times)

connor0770

Re: Welder Extension Cord
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2014, 12:58:26 PM »

First weld

6 or 7th weld.   Love this thing

Any suggestions? I'll take all the help I can get. I know my penetration is good. Just need help on a more consistent bead
-97 TJ, 35's, Currie 4" lift, Dana 30 w/ ARB, 8.8, Trail Gear Front Bumper With w/ XRC8, LOD Tire Carrier, UCF Tummy Tuck, Smittybuilt Corners, Poison Spider Sliders

norcal_chris

• always down to wheel
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2014, 01:18:43 PM »

Those don't look bad at all.  What pattern are you using?  The second pictuee is hard to tell but almost looks like undercut from too much heat. 

You just nees to practice a ton.  Get a good pair of gloves so you can hold the gun comfortably and brace your hand while welding.  Make a dry pass to be sure you will be in a good position the entire bead.

90% of the time I move front to back.  I vary how much by the puddle and how the wire is laying
  You can stack dimes that way too by a quick forward and a slow back. 
Ruined a perfectly good jeep.

connor0770

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2014, 02:26:02 PM »

I have a good pair of gloves. There's actually very little if any undercut.  I'm using the circle method. Kinda like a roller coaster. Hard to explain over the forum but you should get the idea.

My penetration is good due to the color on the steel. My biggest concern is getting that "dime"formation.  Huge improvement over my 110.
-97 TJ, 35's, Currie 4" lift, Dana 30 w/ ARB, 8.8, Trail Gear Front Bumper With w/ XRC8, LOD Tire Carrier, UCF Tummy Tuck, Smittybuilt Corners, Poison Spider Sliders

connor0770

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2014, 02:27:04 PM »

It's 1/8 steel and I turned down the heat a bit. I was following what the welder says but it's just too hot.

sneakyjap96

• BIG JOHNSON
  • JOHNSON
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2014, 03:11:27 PM »

C 's are best with a mig forward backward lol
1989 xj d30 spartan d44  lsd 4.88 gr johnson built long/mid arms johnson built stiffeners, Trans mount n sliders hd shackle relocation boxes beefy shackles 7 in front coils re adjustable track bar oba dirt bound front bumper home made rear bumper

1995 xj np231 w jb sye 6 in lift  re uca/lca johnson built  winch bumper an sliders xrc8 winch hl 60 s 33s km2/km hp30 sparten btf hd diff cover/8.25 3.55 gr cb re brake lines jks discos hid lights in cab winch control Johnson bilt motor mounts dual e fan conversion

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2014, 03:25:42 PM »

I think those are very nice looking beads for a first few tries.

sneakyjap96

• BIG JOHNSON
  • JOHNSON
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2014, 03:57:21 PM »

Agreed with Tim n Chris.. just get em tighter closer together be good to go lol.. learning mig first is cheating all welders should learn arc first haha
1989 xj d30 spartan d44  lsd 4.88 gr johnson built long/mid arms johnson built stiffeners, Trans mount n sliders hd shackle relocation boxes beefy shackles 7 in front coils re adjustable track bar oba dirt bound front bumper home made rear bumper

1995 xj np231 w jb sye 6 in lift  re uca/lca johnson built  winch bumper an sliders xrc8 winch hl 60 s 33s km2/km hp30 sparten btf hd diff cover/8.25 3.55 gr cb re brake lines jks discos hid lights in cab winch control Johnson bilt motor mounts dual e fan conversion

connor0770

« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2014, 04:01:12 PM »

Agreed with Tim n Chris.. just get em tighter closer together be good to go lol.. learning mig first is cheating all welders should learn arc first haha

I learned to ARC weld in Reno. Got "okay" at it. Then bought a 110 and played with that. Now that I have a 220 it's 100x easier

sneakyjap96

• BIG JOHNSON
  • JOHNSON
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2014, 04:02:20 PM »

Ahh now time for real jeep work lol no more mall crawler stuff
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 04:07:52 PM by sneakyjap96 »

Schonertod

« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2014, 06:13:07 PM »

It looks like your running to fast and far spread out (or your wire speed is to slow for how fast you want to go). Your over penetrating on the flat and maybe under penetrating on the angle which is common when you first start out its normal to want to spend more time on the flat piece then the part sticking up. If you want to come by my house i have a book from a class i took that has all the basic techniques if you want to borrow it.
Beauty in death comes but once in a life time...

connor0770

« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2014, 08:31:27 PM »

It looks like your running to fast and far spread out (or your wire speed is to slow for how fast you want to go). Your over penetrating on the flat and maybe under penetrating on the angle which is common when you first start out its normal to want to spend more time on the flat piece then the part sticking up. If you want to come by my house i have a book from a class i took that has all the basic techniques if you want to borrow it.
thanks schoner! Like I said I'll take all the help I can get.  I'm currently in Chico so I doubt I can swing by. I'll take what you said into consideration next time I practice.

What your saying is i need to spend more time on the vertical piece with my puddle and less on the bottom?  Also slow down? 

I'm using exactly what the welder tells me to use speed and heat wise.

Schonertod

« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2014, 10:00:45 PM »

you also want to listen to the sound. a good sounding weld should sound like bacon in a frying pan. But yes make sure you even out your time the only time you want to spend more time on one piece vs the other is when one piece is thinner then the other. and like sated before try the c pattern its one of the best for mig. or if your traveling up a weld joint you can do the z but that takes a lot of practice. i will see what i can do with maybe scanning some of the pages for you from the book.

Schonertod

« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2014, 10:04:22 PM »

here are some patterns some are useful but some are more for certain jobs

http://www.spartanmechanics.net/images/weave%20patterns.JPG

connor0770

« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2014, 10:04:23 PM »

Yea it noticed to closer I got the better the bacon sound. Learned that one real quick.   I've been going top down on my vertical joints in a Z pattern. Those welds look great, but everybody says those are the easiest
Pages: 1 [2]