Norcal Jeepers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Well that was a fun 40 hours. Thank you Godaddy. We're back up and running, but in the next 30 days there will some scheduled down time.

Welcome to Norcal Jeepers!
Welcome to Norcal Jeepers! It looks like you're not registered yet. As a guest you are missing out on a bunch of great content that is only viewable once you register. To register, simply follow the link below and fill out some information about yourself. It only takes a few minutes!

Click here to register now!

Author Topic: Trail welding fixs???  (Read 1353 times)

Tru_Fab_Built

Trail welding fixs???
« on: May 09, 2014, 11:50:52 AM »

Looking at buying some rod and cable set up to keep on the jeep.  Anyone else keep this on there rig??

Day215

Re: Trail welding fixs???
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 12:01:34 PM »

I don't even own jumper cables, I'm I'll prepared. I have been researching a cost effective way to build a weldernator using a seperate alternator. I still have AC installed for my OBA, so it make fitting a second alternator a bit more challenging.

I think a permanent setup would be tits, but a few batteries and some leads would get the job done. I'd much prefer to burn something back together rather than trying to cobble it together with ratchet straps if I had the choice.
92 Toyota minitruck Front Dana 60 4.88s, Lincoln locked, drive slugs blah blah blah. Rear Dana 70 4.88s, Lincoln locked, 63 chevys. W56 5speed, 2.28 duals, 22re. 39.5s and other stuff. Bobbed, exod, cut up etc. I used to wheel a YJ, then I defected. Now no one talks to me anymore.....cant completly blame that on the switch though.

I'm out of the club. Stay away from my wiener.

connor0770

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 12:07:47 PM »

i had to use 3 batteries, jumper cables, welding rod, and 6 pairs of sunglasses to weld my pitman arm back together. Also my LCA mount.   Carrying one of those hand held hoods would have been well worth the money.
-97 TJ, 35's, Currie 4" lift, Dana 30 w/ ARB, 8.8, Trail Gear Front Bumper With w/ XRC8, LOD Tire Carrier, UCF Tummy Tuck, Smittybuilt Corners, Poison Spider Sliders

Tru_Fab_Built

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 01:02:32 PM »

That's kinda what in leaning toward. Modifying my jumper cable to accept a ground clamp and rod clamp.  So it's multi purpose.  Carry rods and a little mask.  Jic

pdangerp

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 04:25:25 PM »

So protective equipment might be more important than the welder.

bigsquat

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014, 09:06:32 PM »

one set of jumper cables which you should already have anyway. and you an make some small jumpers with some #6 and small clamps. i took and arc welding lens and put it in some gas welding goggles . space is had to come by as you know.

the last few times i welded on the trail i had trouble  .  ive tried 6013, 6011, 7018 , and lastly 6010 which is a dc rod and still had trouble.  tried dc reverse as well,   i think ive found a rod that will work tho. it was some i bought to weld my exhaust manifolds on my truck. dam that shit welded easy.  i forget the name of the rod but it was pricey.  ill try it on my batteries and let you guys know how it works.

Tru_Fab_Built

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 10:24:11 PM »

Awesome thanks for the tips. I heard with the rod thickness and amount of batteries was the truck for amperage. Anyone know if there is a way run and veriarc in line with it?