Norcal Jeepers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Tapatalk is still having problems starting new threads, but you can still reply to old threads

Welcome to Norcal Jeepers!
Welcome to Norcal Jeepers! It looks like you're not registered yet. As a guest you are missing out on a bunch of great content that is only viewable once you register. To register, simply follow the link below and fill out some information about yourself. It only takes a few minutes!

Click here to register now!

Author Topic: off road seats?  (Read 3462 times)

tearin_updirt

off road seats?
« on: July 22, 2014, 02:30:46 PM »

My driver seat is absolutely shot and horribly uncomfortable. Anyone run aftermarket seats that they love or any experiences with any seats? I DD my bucket of bolts so something that is easy to get in and out of?
98 TJ aka Little Mudder
4.88 and Locked

timatoe

• Administrator
Re: off road seats?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 03:05:58 PM »

A LOT of the aftermarket seats sit quite a bit higher than stock seats just FYI.  I put these in......  http://www.jcwhitney.com/garage-pro-reclining-racing-seats/p2009764.jcwx?filterid=b1604c3267u0j1  Because they were cheap, and they were on sale buy one get one.  I've had them for about 5 years and they're really faded and the driver side is starting to fall apart, but I'd have to say they've been worth what I paid for them.  Also had to build new risers because they sat too high.  BTW, I had both a Rugged Ridge stock style replacement seat and a Bestop stock replacement and they also sat too high.

tearin_updirt

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 06:34:47 PM »

A LOT of the aftermarket seats sit quite a bit higher than stock seats just FYI.  I put these in......  http://www.jcwhitney.com/garage-pro-reclining-racing-seats/p2009764.jcwx?filterid=b1604c3267u0j1  Because they were cheap, and they were on sale buy one get one.  I've had them for about 5 years and they're really faded and the driver side is starting to fall apart, but I'd have to say they've been worth what I paid for them.  Also had to build new risers because they sat too high.  BTW, I had both a Rugged Ridge stock style replacement seat and a Bestop stock replacement and they also sat too high.

Thanks Tim. I am pretty sure I will I have fab a lower riser as well then cuz I like to think I am tall at 6'3"

EDIT: Do you think I would need it because I have tj and you got a yj or is that pretty universal?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 06:41:12 PM by tearin_updirt »
98 TJ aka Little Mudder
4.88 and Locked

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 07:22:42 PM »

Don't know how the height is with TJ seats.  I know their risers are different.  I'm looking at maybe getting the Corbeau Baja JP wide seats when I get a cage done.  I guess the JP ones have a lower seat side bolster so they're a bit easier to get in to, and the wide ones seem like they'd fit a guy who has been married nearly 20 years.  :ballchain:

tearin_updirt

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 09:47:44 PM »

Don't know how the height is with TJ seats.  I know their risers are different.  I'm looking at maybe getting the Corbeau Baja JP wide seats when I get a cage done.  I guess the JP ones have a lower seat side bolster so they're a bit easier to get in to, and the wide ones seem like they'd fit a guy who has been married nearly 20 years.  :ballchain:
Hahahaha  :rofl: I will look into the Corbeau baja jp as well and do some research about risers
98 TJ aka Little Mudder
4.88 and Locked

Edward

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 02:42:11 PM »

I have nothing to compare to other than stock junk seats but my corbeau baja rs seats are comfortable but like what's already been said way high my legs hit the wheel and head is real close to the cage. But so far I've been happy with them so far

Dirtkar

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2014, 12:10:11 PM »

Thread resurrection...

I bit the bullet and ordered a set of Mastercraft Baja RS's today because my back just can't take anymore jostling but I'm not willing to give up my outdoors recreation. I've already addressed my suspension so I'm really hoping for this to be the missing piece of the puzzle. They say they are a direct bolt in for my YJ so risers/adapters shouldn't be needed. I'll post back with the height difference once they are installed.

Well, I jerked my first tranny. That was awkward.

tearin_updirt

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2015, 07:42:22 PM »

Curious to see what you think about them let us know!
98 TJ aka Little Mudder
4.88 and Locked

Chris95YJ

• Lil Red
  • Supporting Member
  • "low and slow"
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2015, 10:06:31 AM »

I installed a set of seats from a 97 Chevy Cavalier 60 bucks for the pair from PnP and it was one of the best upgrades I have ever done, bolts right up to the stock seat brackets ( may be different on a TJ though)
Lil Red- 97 TJ 6cyl, 5.5 longarm, D30/44 geared 4.56 ARBs Atlas 4.3 
Great Turtle- 95 YJ 4 Banger, SOA, teralow, D30/8.8 geared 4.88

Mr.B

• "But officer, it was a Subaru!"
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2015, 03:55:14 PM »

I have '98 Cavalier seats. They are great compared to stock. Chris, did you get them out of a two door Cavalier, so they will fold forward?

They're pretty popular with the YJ crowd, because they do bolt right in. I'm sure you would have do some modification for them to work on a TJ.
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

You're a super genius....
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein

RockWoRM

• LJ's do it longer
  • Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2015, 03:52:18 PM »

Thread resurrection...

I bit the bullet and ordered a set of Mastercraft Baja RS's today because my back just can't take anymore jostling but I'm not willing to give up my outdoors recreation. I've already addressed my suspension so I'm really hoping for this to be the missing piece of the puzzle. They say they are a direct bolt in for my YJ so risers/adapters shouldn't be needed. I'll post back with the height difference once they are installed.

any update???
'05 LJR, 4.0, HT, AC, 6sp, 5.13 D44's, Alloy shafts, RC long arm w/6" MC dual rate coils, All MC armor, Warn 9.5, OEM front bumper, Rockhard rear swing out, ProComp bolt in int. cage. CB

Anticanman

• Sprung Under for Her Pleasure
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2015, 01:12:28 PM »

He hasn't installed them yet.
Asian in stock JKU initiated wave... be jealous fool
I said screw it. I'm going for the tranny tonight.

Dirtkar

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2015, 07:22:40 PM »

He hasn't installed them yet.

Installed them? Hahaha, I haven't even received them yet. They said production time was 5-6 weeks. That puts me at one more week out. I sure wish that I had them for the Grass Valley Winter Fun Run. It was a bumpfest until we got into the snow.

Dirtkar

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2015, 07:43:14 PM »

They finally arrived. They are roughly 1 1/2" taller in the front than the stock seats. The rear appears to be about the same height. They recline quite far back and are very comfortable. I took a measurement from the bottom of the steering wheel to the top of the stock seat for a real life comparison since I've read that these sit high. I'll remeasure when I get the driver side installed, hopefully tomorrow. Installation is very straightforward, no surprises. My center console is a 6" Tuffy. I don't anticipate any fitment issues there but do expect it to be a bit on the snug side.

URL=http://s70.photobucket.com/user/jrsturn/media/Jeep/image.jpg2_zpslf3uikps.jpg.html][/URL]

connor0770

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2015, 03:55:32 PM »

Those look nice!!!!
-97 TJ, 35's, Currie 4" lift, Dana 30 w/ ARB, 8.8, Trail Gear Front Bumper With w/ XRC8, LOD Tire Carrier, UCF Tummy Tuck, Smittybuilt Corners, Poison Spider Sliders

Dirtkar

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2015, 08:08:58 PM »

Thank you. Now I just need to get out for the bounce test.  :2thumbsup:

Chris95YJ

• Lil Red
  • Supporting Member
  • "low and slow"
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2015, 04:30:01 PM »

I have '98 Cavalier seats. They are great compared to stock. Chris, did you get them out of a two door Cavalier, so they will fold forward?

They're pretty popular with the YJ crowd, because they do bolt right in. I'm sure you would have do some modification for them to work on a TJ.

yep  :thumbsup:
Lil Red- 97 TJ 6cyl, 5.5 longarm, D30/44 geared 4.56 ARBs Atlas 4.3 
Great Turtle- 95 YJ 4 Banger, SOA, teralow, D30/8.8 geared 4.88