Norcal Jeepers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Well that was a fun 40 hours. Thank you Godaddy. We're back up and running, but in the next 30 days there will some scheduled down time.

Welcome to Norcal Jeepers!
Welcome to Norcal Jeepers! It looks like you're not registered yet. As a guest you are missing out on a bunch of great content that is only viewable once you register. To register, simply follow the link below and fill out some information about yourself. It only takes a few minutes!

Click here to register now!

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: LED headlights vs aux lighting  (Read 5316 times)

Screaming Bear

• Supporting Member
  • "the Bear Whisperer"
LED headlights vs aux lighting
« on: November 14, 2014, 12:25:13 PM »

I would rather replace my 7" headlights first and be DOT legal. JW Speaker is too expensive, KC Hilites still pricey but nice , Trucklite / GE okay, Sylvania? Peterson bright but blotchy. Anzo might work but I can't find comparison test or reviews. I would like to spend around $350 for the pair. Are driving lights legal, I would probably get a 10" combo if I wouldn't get pulled over.
51 CJ3-A, 4.3 TBI Chevy, SM420, Dana 18TC, 30/44 Full Floaters, Yukon Front Axle and Hubs, rear drive flanges, Detroit Fr / E-Locker Rr, 4.27:1 Gears, 74:1, HD steering / 4 wheel disk brakes, Viair 550C, 100% LED - VisionX headlights, Rigid Light-bar, DOT Fogs, Grote tail, Soft Top and Heater, 35"KM-2's, 3" up, no articulation - it works

Edward

Re: LED headlights vs aux lighting
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 01:00:48 PM »

Have you considered hids? I have them in my jeep and truck and really like them and they put out a lot of light for the price. Not sure about driving lights but I know a few guys who go tickets for uncovered light bars the weren't even on.

Screaming Bear

• Supporting Member
  • "the Bear Whisperer"
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2014, 02:06:17 PM »

I'll check into HID, I'm hung up on getting my Jeep to 100% LED. I don't want any tickets or be annoying to oncoming traffic.
51 CJ3-A, 4.3 TBI Chevy, SM420, Dana 18TC, 30/44 Full Floaters, Yukon Front Axle and Hubs, rear drive flanges, Detroit Fr / E-Locker Rr, 4.27:1 Gears, 74:1, HD steering / 4 wheel disk brakes, Viair 550C, 100% LED - VisionX headlights, Rigid Light-bar, DOT Fogs, Grote tail, Soft Top and Heater, 35"KM-2's, 3" up, no articulation - it works

Edward

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2014, 02:22:31 PM »

Leds are nice but I'm just too cheap with mine, I do get people flashing high beams occasionally with the hids

norcal_chris

• always down to wheel
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2014, 10:06:27 PM »

Hid bulbs in halogen housings make me want to run you off the road
Ruined a perfectly good jeep.

Screaming Bear

• Supporting Member
  • "the Bear Whisperer"
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2014, 10:19:00 PM »

Hid bulbs in halogen housings make me want to run you off the road
Yep, don't want people taking shots at me. I ordered the new TruckLite LED's. $355 to my door. They should be a decent light.  :thumbsup:

Screaming Bear

• Supporting Member
  • "the Bear Whisperer"
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2014, 12:36:38 PM »

TruckLites installed and they throw a lot of white light with good coverage. They do have a hot spot which forms a W on the road when aimed properly. The cutoff line is sharp. Two turns on the adjusters takes them from comfy to blinding for oncoming traffic. I need to fine tune this with someone in a car as I adjust them up and down. The KC HighLites might have a smoother pattern if you want to spend more money.  :thumbsup:

pdangerp

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2015, 05:46:24 PM »

I didn't know you were into lighting.

Screaming Bear

• Supporting Member
  • "the Bear Whisperer"
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2015, 08:40:13 PM »

I didn't know you were into lighting.
I can't get enough led's. I hardly ever drive at night but I just had to have 'em. After you see the light output from the Truck-lite's you'll be next. Speaker Evolution 2 probably  :eek:

connor0770

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2015, 08:45:35 PM »

There's something cool about turning the night into sunlight. Lights are just cool
-97 TJ, 35's, Currie 4" lift, Dana 30 w/ ARB, 8.8, Trail Gear Front Bumper With w/ XRC8, LOD Tire Carrier, UCF Tummy Tuck, Smittybuilt Corners, Poison Spider Sliders

norcal_chris

• always down to wheel
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2015, 08:50:57 PM »

I bought a 20in led bar off amazon for less than 60 bucks.  I should have done that a long time ago. It kicks ass.

Ruined a perfectly good jeep.

sneakyjap96

• BIG JOHNSON
  • JOHNSON
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2015, 06:10:01 PM »

I paid 85 bucks for my 44 in off amazon that pic is from under my led street light
1989 xj d30 spartan d44  lsd 4.88 gr johnson built long/mid arms johnson built stiffeners, Trans mount n sliders hd shackle relocation boxes beefy shackles 7 in front coils re adjustable track bar oba dirt bound front bumper home made rear bumper

1995 xj np231 w jb sye 6 in lift  re uca/lca johnson built  winch bumper an sliders xrc8 winch hl 60 s 33s km2/km hp30 sparten btf hd diff cover/8.25 3.55 gr cb re brake lines jks discos hid lights in cab winch control Johnson bilt motor mounts dual e fan conversion

Screaming Bear

• Supporting Member
  • "the Bear Whisperer"
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2015, 11:01:42 AM »

Does anyone want to buy a pair of Trucklite LED headlights for $250 plus shipping. I paid $355 for the pair and they have been on only about three hours of their 50000 rating. They throw an impressive amount of white light. They are DOT legal. Rated 3rd best 7 inch round LED headlights.
I bought a pair of the #2 rated JW Speaker Evolution 2's for the hell of it. #1 Vision X Vortex ...... out of my league.

SOLD!
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 08:14:52 PM by Screaming Bear »

Screaming Bear

• Supporting Member
  • "the Bear Whisperer"
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2016, 07:14:34 PM »

THE VERDICT: Don't waste your money on JW Speaker lights. Yes the pattern is smoother but the center has a bright rectangle which is even more distracting than the "W" cast by Truck-Lites. Side by side comparison the Truck-Lites are whiter and shine much brighter and for a longer distance. I am going to try and return or exchange them for Truck-Lite. For Sale $495 pair.  :hahaha:

Anyone have VisionX Vortec.....?

pdangerp

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2016, 07:31:04 PM »

No offense, but that's a ton of cash for some lights.

Screaming Bear

• Supporting Member
  • "the Bear Whisperer"
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2016, 08:26:36 PM »

No offense, but that's a ton of cash for some lights.
No kidding. That's why I thought they would be as good as the reviews said they would be. The older version used to go for $700. VisionX are priced even higher. Ridiculous isn't it!

RockWoRM

• LJ's do it longer
  • Supporting Member
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2016, 05:18:50 PM »

bump... the LJ came with KC lights on the bumper and windshield hinge mounts. they are bright and work fine. I am wondering if I should change them out for LED lights in order to draw less amps??? opinions/thoughts???
'05 LJR, 4.0, HT, AC, 6sp, 5.13 D44's, Alloy shafts, RC long arm w/6" MC dual rate coils, All MC armor, Warn 9.5, OEM front bumper, Rockhard rear swing out, ProComp bolt in int. cage. CB

Screaming Bear

• Supporting Member
  • "the Bear Whisperer"
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2016, 06:23:56 PM »

bump... the LJ came with KC lights on the bumper and windshield hinge mounts. they are bright and work fine. I am wondering if I should change them out for LED lights in order to draw less amps??? opinions/thoughts???
Do a side by side comparison with another vehicle with LED's before buying anything. The comparison Headlight Revolution did on YouTube was good, but I wasted money with that experiment. I'm back to Truck-Lite headlights and cheapo light bars.

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2016, 06:58:32 PM »

Do a side by side comparison with another vehicle with LED's before buying anything. The comparison Headlight Revolution did on YouTube was good, but I wasted money with that experiment. I'm back to Truck-Lite headlights and cheapo light bars.

You still have the small ones or no?

Screaming Bear

• Supporting Member
  • "the Bear Whisperer"
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2016, 09:47:35 PM »

You still have the small ones or no?
Yes, but I don't like them pod-mounted on the mirror mounts. They are flood and light up the hood too much. The 12" combo on my winch is a nice complement to the led headlights. I'd prefer a Rigid Industries E2 driving light-bar in it's place, but too pricey.
Pages: [1] 2 3