Norcal Jeepers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Well that was a fun 40 hours. Thank you Godaddy. We're back up and running, but in the next 30 days there will some scheduled down time.

Welcome to Norcal Jeepers!
Welcome to Norcal Jeepers! It looks like you're not registered yet. As a guest you are missing out on a bunch of great content that is only viewable once you register. To register, simply follow the link below and fill out some information about yourself. It only takes a few minutes!

Click here to register now!

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: LED headlights vs aux lighting  (Read 5315 times)

timatoe

• Administrator
Re: LED headlights vs aux lighting
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2016, 10:32:56 PM »

Ahh, if I ever get a bender and build a new tire carrier I want to mount a couple of small ones like that for reverse lights on a toggle for camp set up lights.

Screaming Bear

• Supporting Member
  • "the Bear Whisperer"
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2016, 09:14:08 AM »

While at the Ultra4 event I got to talking with the VisionX vender. To make a long story short - I bought a pair for the Jeep.

I wired the halo as DRL
My first impression is the VisionX are the brightest of the bunch compared with Truck Lite and JW Speaker. On High beam they don't appear to go as far as the Truck Lite's but have a great mid-range and flood. I installed them utilizing a "hi4" kit so the low beams stay on with high beam. I will use my fairlead mounted light bar as wired with high beam activation for maximum distance in remote areas.
51 CJ3-A, 4.3 TBI Chevy, SM420, Dana 18TC, 30/44 Full Floaters, Yukon Front Axle and Hubs, rear drive flanges, Detroit Fr / E-Locker Rr, 4.27:1 Gears, 74:1, HD steering / 4 wheel disk brakes, Viair 550C, 100% LED - VisionX headlights, Rigid Light-bar, DOT Fogs, Grote tail, Soft Top and Heater, 35"KM-2's, 3" up, no articulation - it works

Mr.B

• "But officer, it was a Subaru!"
  • Administrator
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2016, 11:02:09 AM »

I'm just curious, how much night wheeling do you do?
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

You're a super genius....
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein

Screaming Bear

• Supporting Member
  • "the Bear Whisperer"
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2016, 02:28:22 PM »

That is the sad thing about this obsession of having the best possible headlights, I hardly drive at night at all. I'd bet I have an hour since January.  Sold the Truck Lite's for $300 on Craigslist.

It is more about being safe on the road. The issue is my eyes suck.  :eek:
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 07:49:45 PM by Screaming Bear »
51 CJ3-A, 4.3 TBI Chevy, SM420, Dana 18TC, 30/44 Full Floaters, Yukon Front Axle and Hubs, rear drive flanges, Detroit Fr / E-Locker Rr, 4.27:1 Gears, 74:1, HD steering / 4 wheel disk brakes, Viair 550C, 100% LED - VisionX headlights, Rigid Light-bar, DOT Fogs, Grote tail, Soft Top and Heater, 35"KM-2's, 3" up, no articulation - it works

Mr.B

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2016, 03:37:41 PM »

Haha. Well now that you have what you want, maybe its time to upgrade your high mounted lizard light. :biggrin:
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein

connor0770

« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2017, 06:51:31 AM »

What do you mean? Night wheeling is when the party starts!  :cheers2: :2thumbsup:
-97 TJ, 35's, Currie 4" lift, Dana 30 w/ ARB, 8.8, Trail Gear Front Bumper With w/ XRC8, LOD Tire Carrier, UCF Tummy Tuck, Smittybuilt Corners, Poison Spider Sliders

Mr.B

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2017, 07:19:36 AM »

The Question was asked to The Bear Whisperer, not to you. We all know what your MO is. :flipoff:

norcal_chris

• always down to wheel
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2017, 10:04:46 AM »

Gotta wheel till the sun comes up  :peep:
Ruined a perfectly good jeep.

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2017, 11:18:46 AM »

Nope, that's my sleepy time.

Screaming Bear

• Supporting Member
  • "the Bear Whisperer"
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2018, 09:05:34 AM »

Yes I'm at it again. I plan to drive into the night for Moab this year so I replaced the quad 4x6" headlights on the RV with LED. No, I did not go with VisionX at $715 a pair but tried some cheapo brand that claim to be DOT legal. They cast a lot of white light but don't have quit enough reach. I am experimenting with fog and driving lights to supplement and came across these DOT fogs. They are more costly than the usual pods but legal. Rigid makes DOT fog and driving lights also, but that ain't happening!
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078PMCXXH/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

Mr.B

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2018, 10:09:18 AM »

All I can think about is watching old X-Files shows, with Mulder and Scully driving down a dark road. When suddenly a super bright light is coming at them. :rofl:

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2018, 10:19:48 AM »

Get those and then side by side 50" light bars above the windshield and you'll be all set.

pdangerp

« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 07:49:06 AM by pdangerp »

Screaming Bear

• Supporting Member
  • "the Bear Whisperer"

pdangerp

« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2018, 06:48:47 PM »

That's cool, maybe I can get it with a heads-up display. Better yet, Google self driving Jeep  :hahaha:

http://www.kolotv.com/content/news/Lyon-County-sheriff-releases-video-of-deputy-colliding-with-horses-471213623.html
Yes. Definitely. HUD all the way.

Screaming Bear

• Supporting Member
  • "the Bear Whisperer"
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2018, 06:33:22 PM »

Well that experiment was a bust. Everything is going back to Amazon. The Hella driving lamps might be okay with 100W bulbs but I'm not going to risk getting a ticket. I did order those DOT legal pods but don't expect I'll be keeping them either.
F...it! I should just push the Jeep to Moab. Very happy with those lights  :thumbsup:

Mr.B

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2018, 11:05:33 PM »

Just mount them below the bumper, and point them low. You should be fine.

Screaming Bear

• Supporting Member
  • "the Bear Whisperer"
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2018, 08:26:10 AM »

Just mount them below the bumper, and point them low. You should be fine.
A while back I wired the halogen headlights through relays. The voltage at the lights jumped from about 9V up to 14.7V and they actually weren't bad. These pods I ordered claim to be 6000K / 4800lm and have a sharp cut-off. SAE DOT J583 legal.
EDIT:
Very happy with these DOT 3" pods. Great addition to low beams. Worth the extra cost over the $20 junk. Highly recommend.  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 10:31:22 PM by Screaming Bear »

Screaming Bear

• Supporting Member
  • "the Bear Whisperer"
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2018, 10:01:26 AM »

Rigid has a new tool to help choose which light works best for your needs. More fun than Google Earth (well, for an LED fanatic)

http://viewpoint.rigidindustries.com/#products=178313,&viewer-state=code--light-1--on$code--light-2--off&viewer-view=hood&viewer-show=combine&controls=true&pano=4k&debug=false&render-type=multi&hud=on&demo=false&driving=false

Too bad it doesn't help with financing.

Mr.B

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2018, 05:29:33 PM »

That was a lot of fun. I'm not planning on buying anything, so no financing needed. :biggrin:

Pages: 1 [2] 3