Norcal Jeepers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Tapatalk is still having problems starting new threads, but you can still reply to old threads

Welcome to Norcal Jeepers!
Welcome to Norcal Jeepers! It looks like you're not registered yet. As a guest you are missing out on a bunch of great content that is only viewable once you register. To register, simply follow the link below and fill out some information about yourself. It only takes a few minutes!

Click here to register now!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: GPS  (Read 1340 times)

connor0770

GPS
« on: March 19, 2015, 12:42:30 PM »

Just downloaded GAIA gps app for my iPhone/iPad. This app rocks. I'm gonna use it on the rubicon this weekend to record the time, speed, elevation change, distance, and bread crumb the trail. It comes preloaded with just about every map you will ever need. It also allows you to import maps, waypoints, trails, etc.

I know we brought up hiking handheld gps units, but is anybody using a gps for their rig?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
-97 TJ, 35's, Currie 4" lift, Dana 30 w/ ARB, 8.8, Trail Gear Front Bumper With w/ XRC8, LOD Tire Carrier, UCF Tummy Tuck, Smittybuilt Corners, Poison Spider Sliders

Mr.B

• "But officer, it was a Subaru!"
  • Administrator
Re: GPS
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 04:42:30 PM »

I am a little ignorant about cell phone GPS. Does the phone actually connect to GPS satellites? Or is it relying on cell signals? If that's the case its useless up there.
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

You're a super genius....
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein

Scarfist

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 08:02:19 PM »

Cell signal
97 TJ, 33's, Dana 30/44, 4.88 gearing w/ Eaton E-Lockers, RE 3.5 springs Metalcloak control arms, A-Z Fab front bumper, Warn XD9000I, Dirtwork rear bumper, Warn sliders, UFC skid, Savvy GTS, KOZ sport cage.

norcal_chris

• always down to wheel
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 08:04:54 PM »

That app is 20 bucks too
Ruined a perfectly good jeep.

connor0770

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 09:21:07 PM »

Tried it on the way home from work. You preload the section of map you want to use. So I did red bluff to orland with medium zoom for file size reasons. (Note this is on an iPad with cell capabilities, but no service). Then you click record when you are ready to go.  Then it starts the breadcrumb, time, elevation chance, mph, distance, etc. The MPH had about a second or 2 lag time but the speed was dead on when I cruised at 70.

I haven't even began to use the full potential of this app as I just started playing with it today. I'm gonna try and download KOH maps to play with.   Also you have options to upload pre made maps from GAIA. They had a Bazillion different maps for all over the world. All of the USFS maps are already preloaded. It uses bing+google maps/streets/earth as well.  I'm amazed at the quality of the app.

Yea it's $20 but you get unlimited maps, and I had an old iTunes gift card that was sitting around doing nothing.   

Doug/Patrick, this is right up your alley!
-97 TJ, 35's, Currie 4" lift, Dana 30 w/ ARB, 8.8, Trail Gear Front Bumper With w/ XRC8, LOD Tire Carrier, UCF Tummy Tuck, Smittybuilt Corners, Poison Spider Sliders

connor0770

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 09:22:51 PM »

Cell signal

Uses Your phones GPS. No service required. There's a thread on pirate where a few teams used this + an iPad to race KOH. 

You can complete trip reports as well. I'm gonna make room on my phone and record my rubicon trip this weekend.

Anticanman

• Sprung Under for Her Pleasure
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2015, 11:08:06 PM »

I'll be looking into one of these apps. I've been reading about it since you posted your thread. Keep us updated as to how it's working out for you. Are all the forest roads on the forestry maps there?
Asian in stock JKU initiated wave... be jealous fool
I said screw it. I'm going for the tranny tonight.

pdangerp

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2015, 05:35:31 AM »

I will look into it too. I don't want to pay for another clunky gps that I will hardly ever use.

connor0770

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2015, 09:50:34 PM »

Check out my recent trip, Track (3/20/15, 10:29:58PM) -  https://cloud.gaiagps.com/public/KGki0OOX1CJp0K62z8incGWQ

connor0770

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2015, 09:53:40 PM »

So I gave the app a go up on the rubicon.   Sadly, we broke a .5 mile into the trail therefore I never got a good chance to use it so bear with me.

The .5 miles I used it I loved it. I had absolutely 0 cell service and the map and gps tracking was spot on. I pre dowoaded the area zoomed in as far as I could go for the highest level of detail. The entire trail only took up maybe 90mb on my phone.   

Overall in very pleased with this. I want to start playing with it more to figure out it's full potential.   But as of now, I would recommend it.

connor0770

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2015, 10:19:05 AM »

Just an FYI, you can use an iPad too. Obviously the bigger screen is much more user friendly.  But it has to be an iPad with cell capabilities.

pdangerp

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2015, 08:17:18 AM »

Do you have any links to people's setups? It would be nice to run an iPad mini or android tablet in a dedicated mount.

Anticanman

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2015, 10:39:30 AM »

Do you have any links to people's setups? It would be nice to run an iPad mini or android tablet in a dedicated mount.

I have my iPhone 5 on a lifeproof bike mount and a 1" piece of tubing welded to the cage on the windshield bar. I can see everything from there and still plug Into the stereo when I need to hear Siri yelling at me on the freeway.

Are the maps an interapp download or do they have to be uploaded via a PC?

connor0770

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2015, 10:59:36 AM »

Maps are interapp download. You can upload outside maps as well through PC/email.

Pirate and expedition portal have great writeups in mounts. Ram mounts seem to be the mount of choice

pdangerp

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2015, 01:21:32 PM »

I'd like to see an ability to take a picture or drawing of a trail and place some "known gps locations" then have my path overlay on the drawing or picture.

connor0770

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2015, 01:32:47 PM »

Id say that's way beyond most gps applications.

pdangerp

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2015, 03:02:37 PM »

I thought you could upload any map to Gaia. That would be cool to see.

connor0770

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2015, 03:40:47 PM »

I thought you could upload any map to Gaia. That would be cool to see.

I mean technically you can. Not sure how you would build a photo into a map file.

Anticanman

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2015, 09:46:11 PM »

Updates?

pdangerp

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2015, 05:07:27 PM »

I bought it and use it. It's cool to see your tracks. I haven't figured everything out yet.
Pages: [1] 2