Norcal Jeepers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Tapatalk is still having problems starting new threads, but you can still reply to old threads

Welcome to Norcal Jeepers!
Welcome to Norcal Jeepers! It looks like you're not registered yet. As a guest you are missing out on a bunch of great content that is only viewable once you register. To register, simply follow the link below and fill out some information about yourself. It only takes a few minutes!

Click here to register now!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Fuel Cell VS. Smog  (Read 2984 times)

timatoe

• Administrator
Fuel Cell VS. Smog
« on: May 27, 2015, 09:25:44 PM »

OK so anyone running a cell, Chris or anyone else.  Have you had any issues with smog? 

Are you running a fuel cap at the cell or run a filler to the outside?

That's all for now. 

Thanks

connor0770

Re: Fuel Cell VS. Smog
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 09:40:34 PM »

Chris runs a stock tank.  I've done hours and hours of research on this.  If they visually see you have a cell you will fail.  What most people do is save their stock tank for smog. Then when the time comes you swap tanks.
-97 TJ, 35's, Currie 4" lift, Dana 30 w/ ARB, 8.8, Trail Gear Front Bumper With w/ XRC8, LOD Tire Carrier, UCF Tummy Tuck, Smittybuilt Corners, Poison Spider Sliders

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 09:50:44 PM »

I thought Chris built a cell?

norcal_chris

• always down to wheel
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 10:26:23 PM »

I kept my stock tank for smog. 

FWIW the smog tech didnt even want to pass me with my stock tank in the not stock location.  I had to tell him it was just there because i was working on my bumper and didnt put it back in stock location.
Ruined a perfectly good jeep.

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 07:02:26 AM »

Hmm  CA is freaking stupid.  What the hell difference does it make where the fuel comes from?  Stupid.

Mr.B

• "But officer, it was a Subaru!"
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2015, 07:59:56 AM »

Didn't someone here cut a hole in the back, raise the tank up about half way? So it was essentially in the stock position, but lifted?
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

You're a super genius....
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein

Day215

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2015, 09:47:40 AM »

I think that was Chris, way back when.
92 Toyota minitruck Front Dana 60 4.88s, Lincoln locked, drive slugs blah blah blah. Rear Dana 70 4.88s, Lincoln locked, 63 chevys. W56 5speed, 2.28 duals, 22re. 39.5s and other stuff. Bobbed, exod, cut up etc. I used to wheel a YJ, then I defected. Now no one talks to me anymore.....cant completly blame that on the switch though.

I'm out of the club. Stay away from my wiener.

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2015, 03:38:42 PM »

Matt's is that way too.

norcal_chris

• always down to wheel
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2015, 09:20:10 PM »

Yeah mine used to be like a half and half.  So it wouldnt be noticable during smog. 

Worked good untill I linked the rear and the upper links were in way

connor0770

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2015, 07:23:55 AM »

Technically the Genright tanks are fuel cells. But they are in the stock location and it just looks like a gas tank skid.   
-97 TJ, 35's, Currie 4" lift, Dana 30 w/ ARB, 8.8, Trail Gear Front Bumper With w/ XRC8, LOD Tire Carrier, UCF Tummy Tuck, Smittybuilt Corners, Poison Spider Sliders

pdangerp

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2015, 07:39:09 AM »

And they're $900

Day215

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2015, 08:01:27 AM »

And they're $900

$650 on CL.....right now.
92 Toyota minitruck Front Dana 60 4.88s, Lincoln locked, drive slugs blah blah blah. Rear Dana 70 4.88s, Lincoln locked, 63 chevys. W56 5speed, 2.28 duals, 22re. 39.5s and other stuff. Bobbed, exod, cut up etc. I used to wheel a YJ, then I defected. Now no one talks to me anymore.....cant completly blame that on the switch though.

I'm out of the club. Stay away from my wiener.

norcal_chris

• always down to wheel
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2015, 09:29:32 AM »

And they say not for highway use or whatever on em.

I was talking g to a guy with a tj at fordyce and said he was having a hell of a time finding a shop to pass his with the genright tank

yj4me

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2015, 10:03:15 AM »

Just got my jeep smoged a little bit ago this morning.  (passed)  was talking to him about "moving" the gas tank.  Moving the tank is fine.  It's when you change the fill pipe (shorter / longer) or change to a tank other than oem where the problems start.  I'm curious if anyone has gone to the BAR testing after failing?  Like you have to do on engine change.

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2015, 12:37:36 PM »

Well I changed the filler and neck without issue, when I went to a 20 gallon tank from the steel 15 gallon.  I use a TJ filler with no issue.  I was kinda wondering how that would work if I could keep the filler on the outside and just have it run into the cab to a cell.

connor0770

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2015, 12:42:58 PM »

And they're $900

Gotta find deals.. Fuel cells come close to the same price after all the fittings and misc. crap.

pdangerp

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2015, 12:29:14 PM »

Do fuel cells need CARB stickers?

connor0770

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2015, 02:06:04 PM »

You can't get a CARB sticker for them. They will never be cleared as legal in CA. It has to be a stock gas tank

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2015, 02:27:33 PM »

You can't get a CARB sticker for them. They will never be cleared as legal in CA. It has to be a stock gas tank

Actually I found a place through another site for a company out of Wyoming or somewhere with CARB approved cells, problem is they sold off their tank portion of the business and the new company wants like $900 for a "stock replacement" but will build a custom one.  For that price I'd get a GenRight.

MajorAssman

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2015, 05:41:24 AM »

I wonder if they would have a problem if the vehicle wasn't equipped with an evap system? I would like to get rid of my saddle tanks, and go with a Blazer/Suburban tank. Pick and pull is a no go for it since they poke holes in them to drain them.
Pages: [1] 2