Norcal Jeepers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Tapatalk is still having problems starting new threads, but you can still reply to old threads

Welcome to Norcal Jeepers!
Welcome to Norcal Jeepers! It looks like you're not registered yet. As a guest you are missing out on a bunch of great content that is only viewable once you register. To register, simply follow the link below and fill out some information about yourself. It only takes a few minutes!

Click here to register now!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Fuel Cell VS. Smog  (Read 2985 times)

Day215

Re: Fuel Cell VS. Smog
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2015, 09:22:51 AM »

I wonder if they would have a problem if the vehicle wasn't equipped with an evap system? I would like to get rid of my saddle tanks, and go with a Blazer/Suburban tank. Pick and pull is a no go for it since they poke holes in them to drain them.

I failed smog two years ago for a tampered evap canister, there was a port that was plugged with a screw instead of having a line connected to it. It was an evap canister off of who knows what, so my application didn't use that port, but I failed because of it.

I'm starting to find that most shops are sticklers for details, the fines are huge if they get caught doing something they aren't supposed to.
92 Toyota minitruck Front Dana 60 4.88s, Lincoln locked, drive slugs blah blah blah. Rear Dana 70 4.88s, Lincoln locked, 63 chevys. W56 5speed, 2.28 duals, 22re. 39.5s and other stuff. Bobbed, exod, cut up etc. I used to wheel a YJ, then I defected. Now no one talks to me anymore.....cant completly blame that on the switch though.

I'm out of the club. Stay away from my wiener.

MajorAssman

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2015, 09:59:02 AM »

Right. I know most of you guys are running newer stuff with evap. My truck only needs a PCV and thermatic air cleaner. No cats, no egr, no air pump, no evap. It's frustrating because most smog shops look it up by the wrong weight class. It's a heavy half so most of the emission requirements don't apply.

norcal_chris

• always down to wheel
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2015, 10:15:27 AM »

I wonder if they would have a problem if the vehicle wasn't equipped with an evap system? I would like to get rid of my saddle tanks, and go with a Blazer/Suburban tank. Pick and pull is a no go for it since they poke holes in them to drain them.

My friend had a 20g blazer tank in his k20.  He was still able to get it smogged.
Ruined a perfectly good jeep.

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2015, 01:59:07 PM »

I don't think that would make any difference.  My buddy has the heavy half as well, with no cat or anything else.

BTW, I should've updated this.  I talked to the guy I go to for smog and he said as long as it had a vent line and went to the charcoal canister it should pass.  I should have shut up right there, but instead  :brickwall: I explained why I was asking and that there was a lot of speculation online that they were not legal.  I think at that point the light went on and he said it would need a CARB EO sticker.  I think I'm going to wait a bit and hope the smog laws do in fact change and if not, get a RCI and swap in the stocker for smog like Chris was.  I'm moving forward (slowly) with linking it, but don't know that I can afford both ends at the same time.

RockWoRM

• LJ's do it longer
  • Supporting Member
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2015, 05:35:03 PM »

You can't get a CARB sticker for them. They will never be cleared as legal in CA. It has to be a stock gas tank

Actually I found a place through another site for a company out of Wyoming or somewhere with CARB approved cells, problem is they sold off their tank portion of the business and the new company wants like $900 for a "stock replacement" but will build a custom one. For that price I'd get a GenRight.

So... a Genright tank should be Ca. legal?
'05 LJR, 4.0, HT, AC, 6sp, 5.13 D44's, Alloy shafts, RC long arm w/6" MC dual rate coils, All MC armor, Warn 9.5, OEM front bumper, Rockhard rear swing out, ProComp bolt in int. cage. CB

4.3LXJ

« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2015, 07:09:06 PM »

There is another tank that is legal.  Transfer Flow, in Chico makes a 31 gal tank that is legal

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2015, 07:11:55 PM »

So... a Genright tank should be Ca. legal?

Sorta
The Genright tank fits in the stock location so it's not as likely to get caught, but they're labeled "offroad only" no EO #.

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2015, 07:21:20 PM »

There is another tank that is legal.  Transfer Flow, in Chico makes a 31 gal tank that is legal

Doesn't look like they have an option that will fit in the bed area of my YJ, actually nothing listed for a Jeep.  I'd like to get something that will fit in the bed area where if I have to I could still get a seat back in there.
Pages: 1 [2]