Norcal Jeepers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Tapatalk is still having problems starting new threads, but you can still reply to old threads

Welcome to Norcal Jeepers!
Welcome to Norcal Jeepers! It looks like you're not registered yet. As a guest you are missing out on a bunch of great content that is only viewable once you register. To register, simply follow the link below and fill out some information about yourself. It only takes a few minutes!

Click here to register now!

Author Topic: OBD 2 monitor  (Read 1199 times)

Jam86

OBD 2 monitor
« on: August 02, 2015, 08:22:17 PM »

I remember reading something somewhere about being able to read varioius engine temps and pressures using an OBD 2 adapter and an app on a cell phone via bluetooth. I was curious if anyone here using anything like this, if so what was the app name and what adapter did you use?

I was flat towing the MJ and got a little warm temp wise so i thought more accurate readings would be a great idea.
I got a 6 foot bed that never has to be made!

sneakyjap96

• BIG JOHNSON
  • JOHNSON
Re: OBD 2 monitor
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 08:23:36 PM »

Just need an obd2 plug amazon has em cheap then hit your app store
1989 xj d30 spartan d44  lsd 4.88 gr johnson built long/mid arms johnson built stiffeners, Trans mount n sliders hd shackle relocation boxes beefy shackles 7 in front coils re adjustable track bar oba dirt bound front bumper home made rear bumper

1995 xj np231 w jb sye 6 in lift  re uca/lca johnson built  winch bumper an sliders xrc8 winch hl 60 s 33s km2/km hp30 sparten btf hd diff cover/8.25 3.55 gr cb re brake lines jks discos hid lights in cab winch control Johnson bilt motor mounts dual e fan conversion

Jam86

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 08:27:36 PM »

Torque app is the one i read about. 

Curious if anyone here has used it.

sneakyjap96

• BIG JOHNSON
  • JOHNSON
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 09:51:40 PM »

I've had a lot of buddy's running it in the tuner world and live by it my vehicles are to old to worry about it lol
1989 xj d30 spartan d44  lsd 4.88 gr johnson built long/mid arms johnson built stiffeners, Trans mount n sliders hd shackle relocation boxes beefy shackles 7 in front coils re adjustable track bar oba dirt bound front bumper home made rear bumper

1995 xj np231 w jb sye 6 in lift  re uca/lca johnson built  winch bumper an sliders xrc8 winch hl 60 s 33s km2/km hp30 sparten btf hd diff cover/8.25 3.55 gr cb re brake lines jks discos hid lights in cab winch control Johnson bilt motor mounts dual e fan conversion

pdangerp

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2015, 05:51:00 PM »

There is a very broad functionality span with these. What do you want to do?

Jam86

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2015, 09:55:47 PM »

I picked one up and got the torque app. Mostly i wanted to monitor things like transmission temp when towing.

Ive been running 190ish on rad and 170ish on trans normal driving

Towing about 205ish on rad and 190-200ish on trans. So im going to upgrade the stock trans cooler. If it wasnt for our occasional cold temps here in the winter i would bypass the "radiator trans cooler" like i did in the MJ. That by far was probably the best thing ive done on my MJ 90+ degree temps wheeling and my trans doesnt even get to 160.

norcal_chris

• always down to wheel
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2015, 10:36:30 PM »

Yeah I would say 200 is a touch high.

Pulling hard and too fast for what I should have going up highway 49 towards cool I barely hit 195 for a few mins.  And that's with 7k ish behind me.  I'm running a pretty good sized cooler
Ruined a perfectly good jeep.

Jam86

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2015, 12:41:20 AM »

Ill have to see what size the stock cooler is. I was running mostly 195 on flat ground, thats towing with an 01 1500 silverado with a 5.3 and 4L60 trans, and it was 90 degrees out. I looked into operating temperature range and 140-240 i believe is for the 4L60 trans, but synthetic ATF starts to break down at 220 i thought.

Either way the app works mostly great, wish i could get some more points from it but with the Chevy being an 01 i guess those points just arent available. If say with hear and everything im probably around 5500# but idk for sure, i really should take it to a weight station or something to find out for sure. For now upgrading the cooler should suffice. Once i figure out long term employment and living arrangements i will be upgrading to a diesel. Then the 01 will be sold or utilized for a 5.3 MJ build.

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2015, 11:26:46 AM »

When I replaced the trans cooler on the RV I went with the plate type rather than the fin and tube type, that I replaced.  Anyhow, I just got the one rated for a Class A motor home (mine is a little 20' Class C).  I think I paid about $60 for it.  I also put a trans temp gauge in, and all the way to and from Moab flat towing my Jeep it only went above 160 a few times on really long climbs (when I was going about 25-30 mph).  I think the difference in size between what I had and what I replaced it with was maybe an inch difference overall in size.

Jam86

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2015, 02:29:32 PM »

What i didnt think about is where the sensor is. If the sensor is on the outlet of the trans then no big deal. If that is the return from the cooler then big deal! Either way itll be upgraded before i use it to tow the jeep again.

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2015, 02:39:20 PM »

I put mine in the pan.