Norcal Jeepers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Tapatalk is still having problems starting new threads, but you can still reply to old threads

Welcome to Norcal Jeepers!
Welcome to Norcal Jeepers! It looks like you're not registered yet. As a guest you are missing out on a bunch of great content that is only viewable once you register. To register, simply follow the link below and fill out some information about yourself. It only takes a few minutes!

Click here to register now!

Author Topic: Ram ecodiesel vs chevy 5.3  (Read 2088 times)

connor0770

Ram ecodiesel vs chevy 5.3
« on: August 08, 2015, 11:41:19 AM »

As the title states. I'm driving 500 miles a week and plan on towing my jeep3-4 times a year.  Ready go.
-97 TJ, 35's, Currie 4" lift, Dana 30 w/ ARB, 8.8, Trail Gear Front Bumper With w/ XRC8, LOD Tire Carrier, UCF Tummy Tuck, Smittybuilt Corners, Poison Spider Sliders

timatoe

• Administrator
Re: Ram ecodiesel vs chevy 5.3
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2015, 01:56:52 PM »

I'd tend to think the diesel will give better towing ability, better fuel mileage and longer life expectancy.  That being said, I have no direct experience with the eco-diesel, pretty sure it's a Fiat engine though.

Jam86

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2015, 09:57:40 PM »

5.3 with 4l80 trans if you go that route.  I flat tow with 5.3 and 4l60 and it does great...but i just had the trans rebuilt at 117k, i got the short end of the stick from the P.O.
I got a 6 foot bed that never has to be made!

Jam86

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2015, 09:58:12 PM »

5.3 will last 400k+ with proper care
I got a 6 foot bed that never has to be made!

Sccafire

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2015, 11:38:39 PM »

as of today diesel is cheaper than gas at the pump.
Scott

connor0770

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2015, 05:13:42 PM »

So I drove both trucks and the new 6.7 2500. Breakdown

The Eco diesel:
Intereior = same as the chevy. Literally almost exactly the same.

Exterior = more rounded then the Chevy. Personally I like the look of the new trucks.

engine = this 3.0l is something else. It doesn't feel like much, but once the turbo kicks in around 2k the truck gets up and goes.  You can feel this truck shift through the gears unlike the chevy. I like the exo diesel, but it would take some getting used to.

Transmission = the 8 speed is amazing. When you aren't on the gas all the way, you never feel the shift points. It pretty much idles going 75mph. 

The chevy:

Interior = same as dodge.  Little less room I feel, but same exact bells and whistlers as the dodge.

Exterior = boxier. More of a "classy" look compared to he ranch look of the dodge.  Overall I'm not a HUGE fan of it.

Engine = the 5.3 flat out works. You step on the gas and it goes. You don't feel it shift through the gears as much as the ram. The 5.3 is just a good overall motor that works.  Now towing, I'm not sure how it would compare. I feel as though staying in the ecodiesel powerband would feel a lot better than the 5.3 wound out.

Transmission: 6 speed. Don't know much about it.  Higher RPMs on the freeway.

I also drove the 6.7 today. Now that's a truck. Obviously way out of my price range, but unbelievable amount of power. It doesn't break 1/4 mile times, but the torque puts you in your seat.  If you are going to be towing at all this is the way to go.   Only drawback.  MPG and price.

What will I go with?
I have no idea. The 5.3 price point is very appealing. It fits my budget, offers the accessories I want. Only problem is the towing factor and the MPGs are lower than the Eco diesel.   Honestly I'm leaning more towards the Eco diesel because I feel like it has been under estimated. The MPGs are amazing, and it's basically a chevy interior. Rides like a chevy. In the end, it's still a half ton.
-97 TJ, 35's, Currie 4" lift, Dana 30 w/ ARB, 8.8, Trail Gear Front Bumper With w/ XRC8, LOD Tire Carrier, UCF Tummy Tuck, Smittybuilt Corners, Poison Spider Sliders

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2015, 08:03:25 PM »

A half ton truck will tow your Jeep no issue, stopping is what you need to worry about.  If you're flat towing you need a braking system, if you're trailering it you need to make sure the trailer has brakes and you have  brake controller in the truck.

sneakyjap96

• BIG JOHNSON
  • JOHNSON
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2015, 09:34:26 PM »

My buddy tows his rig with a titan half ton truck and says he has no issues at all pulling the passes 80,50. Make sure you have good trailer brakes golden
1989 xj d30 spartan d44  lsd 4.88 gr johnson built long/mid arms johnson built stiffeners, Trans mount n sliders hd shackle relocation boxes beefy shackles 7 in front coils re adjustable track bar oba dirt bound front bumper home made rear bumper

1995 xj np231 w jb sye 6 in lift  re uca/lca johnson built  winch bumper an sliders xrc8 winch hl 60 s 33s km2/km hp30 sparten btf hd diff cover/8.25 3.55 gr cb re brake lines jks discos hid lights in cab winch control Johnson bilt motor mounts dual e fan conversion

Day215

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2015, 09:59:33 PM »

6.7, you'll kick yourself if you don't. Can the 5.3 tow, yeah it can, but the 6.7 will do it better and easier all day long. I'm looking at 6.7 F250's once I go back to work.
92 Toyota minitruck Front Dana 60 4.88s, Lincoln locked, drive slugs blah blah blah. Rear Dana 70 4.88s, Lincoln locked, 63 chevys. W56 5speed, 2.28 duals, 22re. 39.5s and other stuff. Bobbed, exod, cut up etc. I used to wheel a YJ, then I defected. Now no one talks to me anymore.....cant completly blame that on the switch though.

I'm out of the club. Stay away from my wiener.

pdangerp

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2015, 09:20:06 PM »

If I didn't have a 1/2 ton, I'd get a 3/4 ton. What cab/bed combo are you looking for? 3/4 tons are going to be on the bigger side of the scale. Some of the 1/2 tons are smaller than others depending on the cab/bed size.

norcal_chris

• always down to wheel
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2015, 10:05:29 AM »

dont forget about those sweet weight fees on registration for a truck. 

my 97 f350 is 345 due to weight fees. 
Ruined a perfectly good jeep.

connor0770

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2015, 07:45:03 PM »

dont forget about those sweet weight fees on registration for a truck. 

my 97 f350 is 345 due to weight fees. 

Thats very true.

Ive decided on a 6.7. Im in my last semester of college while working 25 hours a week. Not sure they pay is going to cut it during school. Ill have to wait until I start full time.

RockWoRM

• LJ's do it longer
  • Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2015, 06:41:45 PM »

The 5.3 price point is very appealing. It fits my budget, offers the accessories I want. Only problem is the towing factor and the MPGs are lower than the Eco diesel.  Honestly I'm leaning more towards the Eco diesel because I feel like it has been under estimated. The MPGs are amazing, and it's basically a chevy interior. Rides like a chevy. In the end, it's still a half ton.

you may want to double check your stats/tech on the Eco diesel. you're right... it's still a half ton and being only a 6 cyl, IIRC, the towing capacity is less than 8K. Great fuel mileage, and flat towing would likely be ok, but nothing like a full size 3/4 ton diesel PU when it comes to towing.
'05 LJR, 4.0, HT, AC, 6sp, 5.13 D44's, Alloy shafts, RC long arm w/6" MC dual rate coils, All MC armor, Warn 9.5, OEM front bumper, Rockhard rear swing out, ProComp bolt in int. cage. CB