Norcal Jeepers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Tapatalk is still having problems starting new threads, but you can still reply to old threads

Welcome to Norcal Jeepers!
Welcome to Norcal Jeepers! It looks like you're not registered yet. As a guest you are missing out on a bunch of great content that is only viewable once you register. To register, simply follow the link below and fill out some information about yourself. It only takes a few minutes!

Click here to register now!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Critique my welds.  (Read 10386 times)

Mr.B

• "But officer, it was a Subaru!"
  • Administrator
Re: Critique my welds.
« Reply #60 on: April 04, 2016, 09:16:38 PM »

Your dryer has a steam cycle?
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

You're a super genius....
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein

Mr.B

• "But officer, it was a Subaru!"
  • Administrator
« Reply #61 on: April 04, 2016, 09:21:48 PM »

Actually your welds look a lot better than any I could do. But that's not saying much. :biggrin:
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

You're a super genius....
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein

Day215

« Reply #62 on: April 04, 2016, 09:27:57 PM »

Your dryer has a steam cycle?

It does, thank you for noticing. It also plays a pleasant little melody when it's finished washing.

92 Toyota minitruck Front Dana 60 4.88s, Lincoln locked, drive slugs blah blah blah. Rear Dana 70 4.88s, Lincoln locked, 63 chevys. W56 5speed, 2.28 duals, 22re. 39.5s and other stuff. Bobbed, exod, cut up etc. I used to wheel a YJ, then I defected. Now no one talks to me anymore.....cant completly blame that on the switch though.

I'm out of the club. Stay away from my wiener.

Jam86

« Reply #63 on: April 04, 2016, 09:30:02 PM »

Where are you guys buying your welders, and about how much are you spending? (I figured this question was close enough to the topic) i am looking at getting my own instead of having to use the ones at work for when i need things.
I got a 6 foot bed that never has to be made!

Jam86

« Reply #64 on: April 04, 2016, 09:31:09 PM »

It does, thank you for noticing. It also plays a pleasant little melody when it's finished washing.
My washer and dryer do beeps like R2D2, when starting or stopping it does a plethora of beeps in melody fashion.

Day215

« Reply #65 on: April 04, 2016, 09:56:12 PM »

My washer and dryer do beeps like R2D2, when starting or stopping it does a plethora of beeps in melody fashion.

LG?
92 Toyota minitruck Front Dana 60 4.88s, Lincoln locked, drive slugs blah blah blah. Rear Dana 70 4.88s, Lincoln locked, 63 chevys. W56 5speed, 2.28 duals, 22re. 39.5s and other stuff. Bobbed, exod, cut up etc. I used to wheel a YJ, then I defected. Now no one talks to me anymore.....cant completly blame that on the switch though.

Day215

« Reply #66 on: April 04, 2016, 09:58:23 PM »

Where are you guys buying your welders, and about how much are you spending? (I figured this question was close enough to the topic) i am looking at getting my own instead of having to use the ones at work for when i need things.

I got my Lincoln 175 off of a Facebook group. I payed $250, them sold my 90 amp Lincoln for $150. I just typed in "welder" on CL, I found all sorts s good deals, if you can go $400-500.

Jam86

« Reply #67 on: April 04, 2016, 10:00:59 PM »

Jam86

« Reply #68 on: April 04, 2016, 10:01:25 PM »

I got my Lincoln 175 off of a Facebook group. I payed $250, them sold my 90 amp Lincoln for $150. I just typed in "welder" on CL, I found all sorts s good deals, if you can go $400-500.
Thanks ill start looking again

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #69 on: April 04, 2016, 10:38:33 PM »

My washer and dryer jingle jangle too, LG.

Turn up your wire speed Daniel.  How thick is that, 3/16?  I have the same machine, I'd use D & 6 and move faster (not crazy fast, just fast enough you're not getting a giant blob).  I find it easiest to make all the movements with my right hand holding the gun and the left basically just supporting the cup.

Day215

« Reply #70 on: April 05, 2016, 07:25:03 AM »

My washer and dryer jingle jangle too, LG.

Turn up your wire speed Daniel.  How thick is that, 3/16?  I have the same machine, I'd use D & 6 and move faster (not crazy fast, just fast enough you're not getting a giant blob).  I find it easiest to make all the movements with my right hand holding the gun and the left basically just supporting the cup.

I'll practice with those settings today on some scrap, and yes it's 3/16". That seems like a huge jump in wire speed, but I'll see how it goes, I kept the wire speed low and moved slow hoping to get a bit of a flatter bead.

I've tried supporting the cup with my left hand, it's like trying to write my name left handed, it looks like shit. I'm sure being able to use either hand is a good skill, but I'm lacking talent in the left hand department.

norcal_chris

• always down to wheel
« Reply #71 on: April 05, 2016, 07:35:43 AM »

Right hand on gun.  Left hand laying down just for support. You don't need to grab it with your left.

Tac your corners so you can weld up to them without blowing the edge out
Cursive Es and pulling worked the best for me with flux core

The cursive E also lets you spread the puddle out a little wider so you can run more wire speed
Ruined a perfectly good jeep.

Day215

« Reply #72 on: April 05, 2016, 08:00:23 AM »

Right hand on gun.  Left hand laying down just for support. You don't need to grab it with your left.

Tac your corners so you can weld up to them without blowing the edge out
Cursive Es and pulling worked the best for me with flux core

The cursive E also lets you spread the puddle out a little wider so you can run more wire speed

When I try to move the gun with only one hand, I'm all over the place.

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #73 on: April 05, 2016, 09:06:03 AM »

It's kinda hard to explain how I hold it, but I don't really move my right hand except for in the direction I'm going.  The weld pattern e's or c's or whatever I do with just my thumb and forefinger.  I'm not a master welder by any stretch but the welds hold and don't look bad (don't look great either).

Day215

« Reply #74 on: April 05, 2016, 09:43:48 AM »

It's kinda hard to explain how I hold it, but I don't really move my right hand except for in the direction I'm going.  The weld pattern e's or c's or whatever I do with just my thumb and forefinger.  I'm not a master welder by any stretch but the welds hold and don't look bad (don't look great either).

Right, that's what I do, but I can only do it with my right thumb and index finger. I should clarify, when I say I can't work the gun one handed, I mean I can't make the pattern unless I have a thumb and index finger holding the cup.

Skorch

« Reply #75 on: April 05, 2016, 05:31:13 PM »

Your not that far off, whatever movement you make, make it slow and keep the puddle with you.  Innershield is alway drag.  Make sure the gun is negative and work positive.  Cursive e is pretty much a lazy circle.  Start with the mfg suggestion on wire speed and amperage, then adjust from there.  Practice practice.   Mark

Day215

« Reply #76 on: April 05, 2016, 08:57:25 PM »

Your not that far off, whatever movement you make, make it slow and keep the puddle with you.  Innershield is alway drag.  Make sure the gun is negative and work positive.  Cursive e is pretty much a lazy circle.  Start with the mfg suggestion on wire speed and amperage, then adjust from there.  Practice practice.   Mark

My polarity is set correctly, I always drag with flux core, expect vertical up. I bumped wfs up to 6 per Tims suggestion, it was definitely hotter, but the bead was too tall for my liking, just under 5 seemed to be the ticket. It was a fun little project, if only for welding practice at the very least.

pdangerp

Critique my welds.
« Reply #77 on: April 07, 2016, 01:23:01 PM »

My GE washer and dryer have steam also. I rarely use it.
Edit: And your welds look worse than mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 04:41:40 PM by pdangerp »

pdangerp

« Reply #78 on: April 07, 2016, 04:44:22 PM »

Can we make this the official critique my welds thread?

I had a few extra hours today to tack this dumb little project together, I'm still getting the hang of this new to me welder. I feel like I'm putting too much heat into the metal, but then I look at the backside and it seems like the penetration would have been better.

I'm trying to focus on slowing down, breathing, and watching the puddle. I can't make cursive e's/zig zag/curly q's or any other shape for that matter when using my left hand. If I put my right hand just above the gas cup, like holding a pencil, my bead comes out much better, like a stack of dimes that got ran thru a wood chipper, but better than my left hand could do.

Don't mind the shitty flux core, it's all I have on hand. I wouldn't be too embarrassed to have s bead like these on some 4 link brackets, provided I knew the would hold.

Critique away. :peep:

The dark spots aren't holes, it's slag that I didn't get off.

I tapered off the bead towards the end to keep from blowing thru, I think that's what the penetration is lacking towards the end.

HAZ from the backside

How did you get porosity in flux core?

Day215

« Reply #79 on: April 07, 2016, 05:16:42 PM »

Probably let some slag get into my puddle

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]