Norcal Jeepers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Tapatalk is still having problems starting new threads, but you can still reply to old threads

Welcome to Norcal Jeepers!
Welcome to Norcal Jeepers! It looks like you're not registered yet. As a guest you are missing out on a bunch of great content that is only viewable once you register. To register, simply follow the link below and fill out some information about yourself. It only takes a few minutes!

Click here to register now!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dana 44 Hubs  (Read 3773 times)

timatoe

• Administrator
Dana 44 Hubs
« on: January 11, 2016, 08:53:05 PM »

Ok so I've looked everywhere and it seems that pulling the hubs on a 44 should be relatively easy. 

I've never pulled one apart so I'm trying to gain knowledge in case I ever need to pull it apart on the trail.  I'm also contemplating putting in a set of Warn Premium hubs.

Anyhow here are the parts I've managed to get out.

The next part won't come out I can compress it and all but it just won't pop out. Any advice is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone in an underground bunker.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 11:34:45 AM by timatoe »

Tru_Fab_Built

Re: Dana 44 Hubs
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 07:33:08 AM »

Tim give me a call and I will walk you through it. 

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Skorch

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 10:08:26 AM »

Is it locked on the stub ahaft?  Or does it slide ?   The large snap ring in the picture is from the inside of the hub, correct?  Warn premium hubs arnt that great.  Mark

The Bear Whisperer

• aka - Screaming "Bear"
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 10:12:04 AM »

It looks like you removed both C clips so it's probably just stuck on some spline wear. Have you given the axle a light wrap with a brass hammer?
I'll bet you will be missing those nice clean YJ unit bearings real soon.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 10:17:39 AM by Screaming Bear »
51 CJ3-A, 4.3 TBI Chevy, SM420, Dana 18TC, D30/44, Yukon Front Axles and Hubs, Detroit Fr / E-Locker Rr, 4.27:1 Gears, 74:1, HD steering, Viair 550C, 100% LED - VisionX headlights, Rigid Light-bar, DOT Fogs, Grote tail, Soft Top, Heater, CB/Ham/Stereo, 35"KM-2's, 3" up, no articulation - it works

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2016, 11:42:13 AM »

Tim give me a call and I will walk you through it. 

OK, I'll call you this evening.  I've gotta get back to welding on the back half.  I only moved back to the front because I ran out of shielding gas. Got gas yesterday then ran out of wire last night.  All set now.

Side note,,,,,, if you go to buy shielding gas and it's about half the normal cost, double check what they sold you.  I got home yesterday and was about to get after it when I realized the guy loaded me up a bottle of compressed OXYGEN not Argon/CO2 mix.  Yeah, that coulda got messy, or at least had a shit my pants moment.

Is it locked on the stub ahaft?  Or does it slide ?   The large snap ring in the picture is from the inside of the hub, correct?  Warn premium hubs arnt that great.  Mark

Yeah, the large outter ring and the small snap ring on the shaft are both out.  Other suggestions on hubs?  I'm on a tight budget though and quickly running outta funds.

It looks like you removed both C clips so it's probably just stuck on some spline wear. Have you given the axle a light wrap with a brass hammer?
I'll bet you will be missing those nice clean YJ unit bearings real soon.

I'll try that.  I've heard lot's of people piss and moan about the unit bearings, but really I've had zero issues with mine and they were the ones on there when I bought it in '06.  I doubt the guy I bought it from ever replaced them based on the other shit he did.

Skorch

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2016, 12:10:27 PM »

Look for early Ford or Chevrolet Spicer hubs.  They have a steel gear.  Might as well be a drive flange.  If you can't find those I will see if my buddy wants to get rid of a set he has.  Mark

Tru_Fab_Built

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2016, 01:10:02 PM »

Those hubs worked great sometimes and others I had to back up and then unlock the hubs. I didn't see the spindle nut taking off. Did I miss something? I have that socket still if you need to borrow one. It took me a while to find it when I bought it.

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2016, 03:09:33 PM »

Look for early Ford or Chevrolet Spicer hubs.  They have a steel gear.  Might as well be a drive flange.  If you can't find those I will see if my buddy wants to get rid of a set he has.  Mark

OK, I'll see what my GoogleFu finds me.

Those hubs worked great sometimes and others I had to back up and then unlock the hubs. I didn't see the spindle nut taking off. Did I miss something? I have that socket still if you need to borrow one. It took me a while to find it when I bought it.

I'm not to the nut yet.  It looks like a big bushing.  There's obviously a spring behind it as I can push it in and it'll pop out to where it is in the picture but it won't come any further and of course there's nothing to grab onto. 

Local parts stores have several hub sockets, but I don't know which one I actually need.  Is there a number on the socket?  If so I'll just have amazon send me one.  :high5:

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2016, 03:22:49 PM »

I'm to the part listed here as 1A028.

Mr.B

• "But officer, it was a Subaru!"
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2016, 04:06:22 PM »

I've never worked on a D44 hub before. But I've worked on Xerox drive shafts that are similar. If you can compress it, maybe you could look at the shaft and see if there's something on it, preventing the gear from being pushed out by that spring. It could be just a burr where the o-ring cut out is.
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

You're a super genius....
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein

norcal_chris

• always down to wheel
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2016, 05:27:56 PM »

Push hub in. Push shaft out from back.  Then hit it with a file.  I used to have to do that all the time. It gets a little boogered.
Ruined a perfectly good jeep.

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2016, 05:56:57 PM »

Ok

Matt I'll hold off on calling unless these other ideas don't work.  I'm not likely to even get to it again till my next days off.

Tru_Fab_Built

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2016, 08:30:20 PM »

I'm to the part listed here as 1A028.

Let me know what days you have off. I will come give you a hand. I still owe you a favor.

IIR the part A1028 becomes suctioned by the grease. It was that way everytime. I used a dentist pick and a flat head screwdriver and worked my way around very slowly.

I do second the taping with a brass or soft hammer to allow the shaft to drive into the hub some freeing up the part A1028. I never had to file any portions of the splines but Doug could be correct if a burr did occur.

Hope you can get this without to much headache.

Tru_Fab_Built

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2016, 08:36:01 PM »

Tim

This is the socket I used for those axles nuts.

Purchased from Orielys

Brand: Greatneck

Model#: 33625072 CR-VCHINA

Tru_Fab_Built

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2016, 08:38:24 PM »

For reference that axle is out of a 79 F-250

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2016, 09:31:58 PM »

Cool thanks Matt.  I'm off Sunday - Tues. 

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2016, 02:55:14 PM »

I was in training yesterday so I didn't sleep in as late today as normal and had some time to mess with it.  After some light filing and tapping and the shaft I got the guts out.  Ran over to Napa and got the socket I needed for the spindle nuts.  Got the first spindle nut out fine, then the pre-load washer thing with all the holes in it out, no problem with either of those.

Went to take the inner spindle nut out and it was easy going then suddenly got tight, really tight.  I can't see any reason it wouldn't spin off of there just like the outer nut did.  Any reason?  Should I just muscle it past whatever is making it tight?  My only thought is to snug it back down and clean that spindle area off the best I can and try again.

Tru_Fab_Built

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2016, 08:39:05 PM »

That sounds like a thread is buggered. I would thread back down and clean the grease out to inspect. File if needed and thread out.

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2016, 09:27:43 PM »

Yeah it's just weird that the outer came right out no issue. 

pdangerp

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2016, 07:01:12 AM »

That sounds like a thread is buggered. I would thread back down and clean the grease out to inspect. File if needed and thread out.

I agree with cleaning and inspecting the threads. There could just be some debris in the threads. Usually if a thread is damaged, you can torque through it with a nut and it will actually straighten the thread.

At GE we used to "fix" large studs with damaged threads by running a nut to the damaged area then smacking the nut on a steel plate. The hammering peins the threads into shape. Just keep repeating the process until the nut runs freely. I don't know if you want to do this on your axle.
Pages: [1] 2