Norcal Jeepers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Tapatalk is still having problems starting new threads, but you can still reply to old threads

Welcome to Norcal Jeepers!
Welcome to Norcal Jeepers! It looks like you're not registered yet. As a guest you are missing out on a bunch of great content that is only viewable once you register. To register, simply follow the link below and fill out some information about yourself. It only takes a few minutes!

Click here to register now!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dana 44 Hubs  (Read 3900 times)

The Bear Whisperer

• aka - Screaming "Bear"
Re: Dana 44 Hubs
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2016, 10:28:22 AM »

I'd bet there is a bump on the threads where the washer locking tab sits in the groove. The set-screws may not have been out enough when you loosened the outer nut or the parts were just rusted together. I'd tighten the inner, then run the outer nut back and forth like Patrick said - without the locking washer in there. Ditto the tapping lightly with a hammer when it feels snug on the threads.
51 CJ3-A, 4.3 TBI Chevy, SM420, Dana 18TC, D30/44, 4.27:1 Gears = 74:1 Yukon Front Axles and Hubs, Detroit Fr / E-Locker Rr, 8K winch, HD steering, Viair 550C, 100% LED - VisionX headlights, Rigid Light-bar, DOT Fogs, Grote tail, Soft Top, Heater, CB/Ham/Stereo, 35"KM-2's, ~3" up, Rubicon Express YJ springs on the rear

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2016, 01:04:14 PM »

OK, I'll try that stuff tomorrow or monday when I get a chance to get back at it.  It seems to get tight at about the last third of the threads, that's why it seemed odd cause the outer had to go over that.

Kinda silly in a way that I'm even going through it.  It's just for the experience really.  But, I'd surely rather be trying to figure it all out in my garage than on a trail or in the campground.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 01:07:39 PM by timatoe »

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2016, 01:57:00 PM »

I forgot to update this.  I managed to get the nut off, I had to just force it past a buggered spot.  The outer nut was galled up causing the problem for the inner nut.  Anyhow after what seemed like eternity with a tiny file, I think I salvages the spindle.  Ordered a new lock nut set, the outer was just too screwed.

Meanwhile, the passenger side come off and was completely disassembled in about 10 minutes.

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2016, 08:25:14 AM »

So I moved back up front and started putting everything back together.  Despite all my efforts I couldn't get the driver spindle nuts to go back on freely, so I ordered up a new spindle.

Anyhow, everything is going back together but I have questions / issues with torquing the spindle nuts.  Pretty much everything I read says to tighten the inner nut to 50 ftlbs while spinning the hub then back it off 1/4 turn, put the lock washer thing on and the outer nut torque to 120+ ftlbs.

Problem I'm having is everything also says the hub should spin with little resistance, by time I get it to 50 ftlbs it's not spinning anymore by hand, back it off 1/4 and it's better, back it off slightly more and it's great.  THEN I put the lock washer and outer nut on, when I torque the outer down I can turn the hub and rotor by hand but it barely moves.  It certainly has a lot more than drag.  I can't imagine that's right.  Am I missing something or not doing it right or???????

I feel stupid for even needing to ask all these questions, but I've never messed with any of these style axles before.

Any suggestions from you hub type axle experts?

4.3LXJ

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2016, 08:46:44 AM »

This may not sound very precise, but the 50# starting point is way too tight.  I have always tightened until the hub until there is enough resistance to turning about equal to a pound or two of torque, then backed off.

The Bear Whisperer

• aka - Screaming "Bear"
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2016, 10:28:26 AM »

From Warn instructions: torque inner nut to 50# while rotating wheel back and forth, back off 1/2 turn, re-torque to 3-5#. Install lockwasher and torque outer nut to 125-150#.
51 CJ3-A, 4.3 TBI Chevy, SM420, Dana 18TC, D30/44, 4.27:1 Gears = 74:1 Yukon Front Axles and Hubs, Detroit Fr / E-Locker Rr, 8K winch, HD steering, Viair 550C, 100% LED - VisionX headlights, Rigid Light-bar, DOT Fogs, Grote tail, Soft Top, Heater, CB/Ham/Stereo, 35"KM-2's, ~3" up, Rubicon Express YJ springs on the rear

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2016, 05:25:49 PM »

I don't know that my torque wrench will do 3-5#, I suppose I could do the conversion for inch pounds, but then I'd need a 1/4 - 3-8 adapter and a 3/8 - 1/2 adapter.  So just by hand on the socket would probably be fine.  Basically the first nut is just seating the bearing all the way right?

Just to clarify, once the second nut is on it should still spin relatively freely?

Also is the inner part of the actual hub lock supposed to touch that outer nut?  I had it on there at one point and it seemed ok, but then the lock part was hitting the nut and I couldn't get the circle clip on the shaft, like it wasn't going in far enough to access the groove on the shaft.

4.3LXJ

« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2016, 05:51:35 PM »

Yes, it should spin freely but not rattle if you try to shake it

The Bear Whisperer

• aka - Screaming "Bear"
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2016, 09:13:21 AM »

Also is the inner part of the actual hub lock supposed to touch that outer nut?  I had it on there at one point and it seemed ok, but then the lock part was hitting the nut and I couldn't get the circle clip on the shaft, like it wasn't going in far enough to access the groove on the shaft.
Sounds like you are saying you can install the large snap ring but can't reach the groove on the axle for the small snap ring. Just reach around to the U-joint and push the axle out a little. It should "float" somewhat.

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2016, 09:55:12 AM »

Sounds like you are saying you can install the large snap ring but can't reach the groove on the axle for the small snap ring. Just reach around to the U-joint and push the axle out a little. It should "float" somewhat.

Yeah, tried that it was more than a 1/8" from being able to see the groove.  I've got a couple of hours today then maybe again for a bit on Sunday then I won't be able to get back at it till the following weekend.  I'm thinking something inside there is wrong.  I'm gonna pull it all apart today and double check everything and try again.

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2016, 12:12:23 PM »

FIGURED IT OUT!!!

Note to self (or anyone else)

If you slide the hub and rotor on and the outer bearing pops loose, make sure it didn't flip over.  Because, shit won't work if that bearing is backward.   :shaking:

pdangerp

« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2016, 01:35:58 PM »

FIGURED IT OUT!!!

Note to self (or anyone else)

If you slide the hub and rotor on and the outer bearing pops loose, make sure it didn't flip over.  Because, shit won't work if that bearing is backward.   :shaking:
Should you be playing with tools?

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2016, 03:39:38 PM »

Probably not.

pdangerp

« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2016, 05:11:44 PM »

Probably not.
I will come collect them from you.
Pages: 1 [2]