Norcal Jeepers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Tapatalk is still having problems starting new threads, but you can still reply to old threads

Welcome to Norcal Jeepers!
Welcome to Norcal Jeepers! It looks like you're not registered yet. As a guest you are missing out on a bunch of great content that is only viewable once you register. To register, simply follow the link below and fill out some information about yourself. It only takes a few minutes!

Click here to register now!

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Fuel tank relocation and SMOG  (Read 5808 times)

Day215

Fuel tank relocation and SMOG
« on: March 09, 2016, 01:15:38 PM »

One of the big hang ups I'm having with linking and or stretching my YJ is the fuel tank, moving the rear axle back will require moving the fuel tank up to provide clearance. i don't have trailer money right now, so it has to remain streetable me for the time being, which means it must pass smog.

I have spoke to a few people here about thier smog check experiences, ranging from passing without a fuss to failed visual inspection because of moving tank. From what I can gather, as long as ALL the factory stuff is present, then all should be good, but a "stock looking appearance" seems to be the key to not scaring away the smog tech. I have poured over the 2013 Smog check manual, and I'm having trouble finding something that definitively says the tank can't be moved, the manual references emissions equipment being in a factory configuration, but I take that as applying to hose routing and having certain things present in the system, charcoal canister for example.

"Pass/Fail Criteria: To pass inspection, the required emission control system(s) must be complete and installed in accordance with the vehicle manufacturers original California or Federal certified configuration, or, when applicable, in accordance with a CARB aftermarket configuration. If any required emission control systems are found to be tampered or defective, the vehicle shall fail the inspection. For tampered and defective definitions, see section 1.3.5.
If a vehicle is equipped with parts that modify the original emission control configuration, inspectors must verify whether those parts are CARB approved or exempted. If the installed parts are not CARB approved or exempted, and the original emissions control configuration has been modified, the corresponding emission controls are considered Modified and the vehicle shall fail the inspection."

What I'm looking for is something to have handy in the event that the smog tech pitches a fit and says somethings not legit when it really should be. In the end, if they won't touch it, then I'll move to the next shop that will, but I think a lot of these guys are spooked about getting in trouble. My goal is to move the tank up into the rear cargo area and relocate the filler to the side, but right beneath the top rail of the tub, providing "stock" looking filler.

Here's a link to the manual:

https://www.bar.ca.gov/pdf/Smog_Check_Manual_ENG_2013.pdf
92 Toyota minitruck Front Dana 60 4.88s, Lincoln locked, drive slugs blah blah blah. Rear Dana 70 4.88s, Lincoln locked, 63 chevys. W56 5speed, 2.28 duals, 22re. 39.5s and other stuff. Bobbed, exod, cut up etc. I used to wheel a YJ, then I defected. Now no one talks to me anymore.....cant completly blame that on the switch though.

I'm out of the club. Stay away from my wiener.

Tru_Fab_Built

Re: Fuel tank relocation and SMOG
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 05:23:16 PM »

Here's my 2 cents.  I had a huge smog issue with my 90f-350 460ci gasser. I had done a full tune up and was absolutely confident it would pass with flying colors just like it did the first time.  Smog tech runs the pick up and says "it failed". I ask on which part? He says on timing.  I ask how is that possible, the ignition system on this particular model has electronic ignition and you cannot adjust it on this model and it was an ecu deal not mechanical or vacuum advance/retard. He says not in my book. 

Long story short the tech I was politely arguing with was the owner. I sent my truck back 3 times.  After weeks of research and explaining to him to run the vin number to Clarify if this model was in fact not adjustable in any manner.  Multiple calls later and playing phone tag with the techs and the owner. He calls me and apologized for any inconvenience and that he would make it right as I was correct the whole time and that his supposed lead tech was wrong. I thought how could they be that wrong. Because they didn't have the info needed.  Because it wasn't in there system it was not going to pass with out knowing the models ignition systems.

All in all. Smog shops are the worst to deal with some times.  I'm due for smog on my jeep now.  I'm playing on doing it next week here at the same shop I argued with. They were just trying to do there job.  There is no tech that says from what I found is that there is no descriptive information stating you cannot use a different tank/container or move/relocate. I have smogged 3 times now and I had a star cert place do it also.  I have every factory part still used for smog and I have passed on 4.10s w/37s. How that for some encouragement. Now let's hack that thing up!!!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 05:27:28 PM by Tru_Fab_Built »

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2016, 08:14:49 PM »

If I can make the tank fit, I'm just gonna sit it in the back cargo area for now.  I can't sink it into the floor because of where my rear axle is now and the shock set up.

I think most smog guys know what they're doing and some simply make shit up as they go.  I've got a buddy with a CJ7 and a shop told him that because he didn't have the "factory" tank he couldn't smog it.  It came with a steel 15 gallon tank and he put a Jeep replacement 20 gallon in it, total BS.  Got another buddy with a '76 Chevy with a huge fuel cell sitting in the bed under his tool box and it passes everytime with no issue.

Day215

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2016, 08:29:59 PM »

There's where the issue is, for as many rules as there are, the techs seem to make shit up as they go along.
92 Toyota minitruck Front Dana 60 4.88s, Lincoln locked, drive slugs blah blah blah. Rear Dana 70 4.88s, Lincoln locked, 63 chevys. W56 5speed, 2.28 duals, 22re. 39.5s and other stuff. Bobbed, exod, cut up etc. I used to wheel a YJ, then I defected. Now no one talks to me anymore.....cant completly blame that on the switch though.

Jam86

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2016, 08:44:31 PM »

^ and they see an issue but still "smog" it only to tell you that you failed on a visual check. My opinion is visual check should be first,  if its something noticeable they need to turn you away immediately.

Im hoping to center my gas tank. This way i don't have 400 lbs sitting on one side of the MJ.
I got a 6 foot bed that never has to be made!

norcal_chris

• always down to wheel
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2016, 09:14:55 PM »

Same deal with my tank in rear cargo area.  Tech said I'll pass it, but if anyone asks it wasn't there when I smogged it
Ruined a perfectly good jeep.

connor0770

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2016, 10:55:46 AM »

Same deal with my tank in rear cargo area.  Tech said I'll pass it, but if anyone asks it wasn't there when I smogged it

Who did you go to?

Daniel, look into the Genright tank. You can find good deals on then. I got mine on justgastanks.com I found a coupon code online plus they were having a Presidents' Day sale. The system let me run both coupons and I hit a killer deal on it.

It fits in the stock location, so they probably won't bat an eye...hopefully.  Worse case you run a fuel cell and strap your stock tank in for smog every 2 years?    I hope mine passes
-97 TJ, 35's, Currie 4" lift, Dana 30 w/ ARB, 8.8, Trail Gear Front Bumper With w/ XRC8, LOD Tire Carrier, UCF Tummy Tuck, Smittybuilt Corners, Poison Spider Sliders

Day215

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2016, 11:04:13 AM »

Who did you go to?

Daniel, look into the Genright tank. You can find good deals on then. I got mine on justgastanks.com I found a coupon code online plus they were having a Presidents' Day sale. The system let me run both coupons and I hit a killer deal on it.

It fits in the stock location, so they probably won't bat an eye...hopefully.  Worse case you run a fuel cell and strap your stock tank in for smog every 2 years?    I hope mine passes

The genright is more than $free.99, so it's out of the budget. If I had the dough, I'd do the genright tank in the blink of an eye, it's fits all the criteria that I'm looking for.

norcal_chris

• always down to wheel
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2016, 02:47:44 PM »

Genright tank is sold as not for highway use and says so right on it.  Met a guy on fordyce last year that said he couldn't get his tj sniffed because of his genright tank.  2 different shops failed him for it

Goobersbro

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2016, 05:04:03 PM »

Register your vehicle in South Dakota and be done with it.

South Dakota allows you to register vehicles there without residence.  Problem solved and it's cheap to do so lol

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2016, 09:42:53 PM »

Register your vehicle in South Dakota and be done with it.

South Dakota allows you to register vehicles there without residence.  Problem solved and it's cheap to do so lol

SD allows you to do it, but CA will screw you for it.

4.3LXJ

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2016, 12:14:31 AM »

I have a Transfer Flow tank in mine that is 31 gal and DOT approved.  Made in Chico, just north of you

Day215

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2016, 08:25:08 AM »

I have a Transfer Flow tank in mine that is 31 gal and DOT approved.  Made in Chico, just north of you

Yeah, but DOT and CARB are two different entities.

connor0770

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2016, 02:24:09 PM »

Genright tank is sold as not for highway use and says so right on it.  Met a guy on fordyce last year that said he couldn't get his tj sniffed because of his genright tank.  2 different shops failed him for it

It does say that.. But do you really think he will pull of my sticker that covers it? Lol.  It looks stock.
-97 TJ, 35's, Currie 4" lift, Dana 30 w/ ARB, 8.8, Trail Gear Front Bumper With w/ XRC8, LOD Tire Carrier, UCF Tummy Tuck, Smittybuilt Corners, Poison Spider Sliders

Day215

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2016, 05:59:30 PM »

It does say that.. But do you really think he will pull of my sticker that covers it? Lol.  It looks stock.

I'd paint it black, I think the techs see anything aluminum colored and automatically assume fuel cell, the only people that are going to argue with them are people with a carb approved tank.

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2016, 09:05:47 PM »

Yep, I'd definitely paint it.

norcal_chris

• always down to wheel
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2016, 09:57:09 PM »

His was painted black

Not trying to be a negative nancy but that's the way it is lol

Plus the genright tank definitely looks aftermarket even with black paint on it

connor0770

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2016, 09:06:00 AM »

You can only see the alluminum from the wheel wells. Hope fully the 40s cover it :p

Day215

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2016, 10:59:15 AM »

You can only see the alluminum from the wheel wells. Hope fully the 40s cover it :p

I guess for guys like you the question is....do you really anticipate driving a rig on 40's on the street, at least enough to warrant registering it? This is that slippery slope that we start to go down, it's just snowballs. If I had a trailer, this wouldn't even be a question, but since I don't, I have to pick and choose what gets cut and what doesn't.

Skorch

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2016, 01:04:24 PM »

Fwiw, I considered making mine a trailer queen for awhile, for me it was an easy decision to keep it registered. Mine is pre smog and that is kind of the basics of the question, however nowadays tires are better than before and even on 40's you might be surprised how good it handles. 40 inch Toyo or Nitto's have great road manners.  We have run the Hi-lo's poker run every year until the closure of Deer Valley, it requires about 25 miles of highway driving.  Something I would miss if green sticker ed only.  Mark
Pages: [1] 2 3