Norcal Jeepers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Tapatalk is still having problems starting new threads, but you can still reply to old threads

Welcome to Norcal Jeepers!
Welcome to Norcal Jeepers! It looks like you're not registered yet. As a guest you are missing out on a bunch of great content that is only viewable once you register. To register, simply follow the link below and fill out some information about yourself. It only takes a few minutes!

Click here to register now!

Author Topic: Rear End Suggestions  (Read 1820 times)

timatoe

• Administrator
Rear End Suggestions
« on: April 19, 2016, 06:17:10 PM »

So it was mentioned in the Moab trip report.  But here's my situation.... I've got a rear 60 I got from Matt, he and I both thought it was a 30 spline.  Turns out it's an old 16 spline out of a '68 Dodge 3/4 ton truck.  I got another 60 that is a 30 spline 3.73 gears.

So my options and thoughts at this point are build the 30 spline, swapping in 35 spline shafts etc. which of course costs money

OR as Mark mentioned in that thread....

Without clogging up the thread.  Depending on you front axle width,  you may be better served with a different rear.  Stock 60 rear is 30 spline with shafts the same od as a 44.  Mark

As to Marks comment; the front is a HP44 from a '79 F250, I believe that's 69" WMS - WMS.

Get another axle all together and be done with it.  My thought would be go to a 14 bolt and get a shave kit.  I've got no experience with that and don't know if a home hobbiest can really do a shave adequately or if I'd need to farm that out. 

In either case I'd likely do disc brakes at some point because as I realized in Moab, pulling the entire shaft and spindle nuts etc etc to get to the brakes is a pain in the ass, especially when you don't have the right socket.  I'd just rather do it once and be done.  I'm totally cool running the 16 spline that's in there until I can get something else built, just don't wanna be spending money twice.

I'm also not opposed at all to getting a front 60 at some point if I can ever find a decent deal when I actually have more than fuzz in my pocket.  :shaking:

norcal_chris

• always down to wheel
Re: Rear End Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2016, 06:20:07 PM »

14 bolt.

If you have time and patience the tmr kit can be done at home.  Discs run about 300 or so.
Ruined a perfectly good jeep.

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2016, 06:38:02 PM »

So for the discs, the Ruff Stuff kit is just over three bills.  I know all the guys at my local Autozone quite well and they said the RS kit ships out with stock parts from the Rocklin AZ (so they have or can get the part numbers used in the kit).  So, if I go that route all I need is the brackets and I can get all the rest of the parts at standard cost without additional markup (assuming RS marks up the parts in their kit).

Did you use the TMR kit Chris?  If so, are the instructions detailed enough it would be hard to screw up?  What did you do about machining the ring gear?

Day215

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2016, 07:26:12 PM »

So for the discs, the Ruff Stuff kit is just over three bills.  I know all the guys at my local Autozone quite well and they said the RS kit ships out with stock parts from the Rocklin AZ (so they have or can get the part numbers used in the kit).  So, if I go that route all I need is the brackets and I can get all the rest of the parts at standard cost without additional markup (assuming RS marks up the parts in their kit).

Did you use the TMR kit Chris?  If so, are the instructions detailed enough it would be hard to screw up?  What did you do about machining the ring gear?

When I go 14 bolt, I'll be doing the tmr shave kit, by that point I should be proficient enough to weld it up myself. I know one of the vendors was selling shaved ring gears, if your buying a new one, it might be worth it to buy it pre shaved.

If your going to do it yourself, I'd go with the old grinder and flap wheel method, with the gear still in the housing.
92 Toyota minitruck Front Dana 60 4.88s, Lincoln locked, drive slugs blah blah blah. Rear Dana 70 4.88s, Lincoln locked, 63 chevys. W56 5speed, 2.28 duals, 22re. 39.5s and other stuff. Bobbed, exod, cut up etc. I used to wheel a YJ, then I defected. Now no one talks to me anymore.....cant completly blame that on the switch though.

I'm out of the club. Stay away from my wiener.

norcal_chris

• always down to wheel
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2016, 07:27:23 PM »

I have been too lazy to do the shave.

It's on my list of to dos but hasn't come to fruition.  I have always just cut the bottom lip off and smoothed it out. That has done me well so far.  I know a few that have done the tmr kit.  He said it was pretty simple.  One got the no shave ring gear kit.  The other used a 7in grinder and went to town on it in the axle without the pinion in it.  Then pressure washed it and ran it that way

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2016, 08:35:54 PM »

I just watched a 20 some odd minute video on Bleepin' Jeep where they did the TMR kit.  Looks easy enough, except the pre-heating part, because I don't have a torch.  Otherwise looked doable, the used a 7" grinder with the ring gear in the housing.

Pre-shaved gears are twice the cost so I'd either have it machined or grind it.  My only real concern with cutting the housing is getting it fairly straight.

connor0770

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2016, 08:43:47 PM »

When you get the disc swap kit, try and find some old disc brakes you can take in. Otherwise you have to pay the core fee. At least I did.

What size tires? Measure the clearance with a 14b and 37s vs an 8.8 on 35s.   You might not feel the need to shave it after all
-97 TJ, 35's, Currie 4" lift, Dana 30 w/ ARB, 8.8, Trail Gear Front Bumper With w/ XRC8, LOD Tire Carrier, UCF Tummy Tuck, Smittybuilt Corners, Poison Spider Sliders

norcal_chris

• always down to wheel
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2016, 08:51:46 PM »

Easiest way I've seen to measure the cut is to fill a drain pan with water and some gear oil. Raise the pan up at the correct angle and height as the kit shows you and it leaves a perfect ring around the axle housing. 

Then you can score it and start cutting

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2016, 09:03:20 PM »

When you get the disc swap kit, try and find some old disc brakes you can take in. Otherwise you have to pay the core fee. At least I did.

What size tires? Measure the clearance with a 14b and 37s vs an 8.8 on 35s.   You might not feel the need to shave it after all

I don't have any 35's laying around, I do have an 8.8 still in the garage though.  I see what you're saying.  I'm not even that crazy worried about the shave, just seems if I was gonna build it, do it all at once.

Easiest way I've seen to measure the cut is to fill a drain pan with water and some gear oil. Raise the pan up at the correct angle and height as the kit shows you and it leaves a perfect ring around the axle housing. 

That's freaking ingenious.

Day215

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2016, 09:09:11 PM »

X2, I seen a few people on pirate do it this way and it comes out great.
92 Toyota minitruck Front Dana 60 4.88s, Lincoln locked, drive slugs blah blah blah. Rear Dana 70 4.88s, Lincoln locked, 63 chevys. W56 5speed, 2.28 duals, 22re. 39.5s and other stuff. Bobbed, exod, cut up etc. I used to wheel a YJ, then I defected. Now no one talks to me anymore.....cant completly blame that on the switch though.

I'm out of the club. Stay away from my wiener.

Skorch

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2016, 09:18:39 PM »

It's cake,   Done 2,  both TMR.  One with shaved  ring gear, one without. Not that hard.  That being said it's pretty tough to beat a 14 bolt when the width is correct.  With a 69 wms front the standard pickup width @ 67 would fit the bill.  Mark.

Tru_Fab_Built

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2016, 09:19:58 PM »

So this is on my to do list also. Like Chris said is completely ingenious. I got my kit for $100 bucks last year some time. I now think it would be easier if I had there diff cover to find the bottom for reference.

Tim I have a small torch set and infrared thermometer you can borrow. I know that 400 degrees is recommended for preheat and at least a 220v welder with multiple passes you shouldn't have an issue.

If you got one sooner than later we could do them at the same time

https://youtu.be/TF4i_wcLg2E

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Skorch

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2016, 09:22:40 PM »

That one has the weld ground smooth on the outside and reinforcement weld on the inside, it's 3 years old .  All this and I dontbrun a 14 bolt.  Mark.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 09:42:42 PM by Skorch »

Skorch

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2016, 09:30:45 PM »

The one I have to setup in the desert next week has a Ballistic save with shaved ring gear,  I will get pictures.  Mark