Norcal Jeepers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Well that was a fun 40 hours. Thank you Godaddy. We're back up and running, but in the next 30 days there will some scheduled down time.

Welcome to Norcal Jeepers!
Welcome to Norcal Jeepers! It looks like you're not registered yet. As a guest you are missing out on a bunch of great content that is only viewable once you register. To register, simply follow the link below and fill out some information about yourself. It only takes a few minutes!

Click here to register now!

Author Topic: Body rust  (Read 1730 times)

Dieck

• Supporting Member
  • Beer me.
Body rust
« on: May 02, 2016, 05:44:06 PM »

Pulled off PO angle iron. Had to grind off some welds so have some bare spots and some minor rust.

Plan was to just to clean it up and hit it with some rust oleum rust stop stuff and then install new sliders.

Or, is there something else I should do differently to surface that will be with the new sliders?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dont sweat the petty things, pet the sweaty things

Day215

Re: Body rust
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 05:58:49 PM »

Boat sides! FTW!
92 Toyota minitruck Front Dana 60 4.88s, Lincoln locked, drive slugs blah blah blah. Rear Dana 70 4.88s, Lincoln locked, 63 chevys. W56 5speed, 2.28 duals, 22re. 39.5s and other stuff. Bobbed, exod, cut up etc. I used to wheel a YJ, then I defected. Now no one talks to me anymore.....cant completly blame that on the switch though.

I'm out of the club. Stay away from my wiener.

Day215

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 06:51:38 PM »

I'd clean it up, hit it with some rust converter, spray it whatever color you happen to have nearby (it'll be covered up), then put the new rockers on. Iirc you had some pretty good dents, I'd pound those out before you put the new rockers on.
92 Toyota minitruck Front Dana 60 4.88s, Lincoln locked, drive slugs blah blah blah. Rear Dana 70 4.88s, Lincoln locked, 63 chevys. W56 5speed, 2.28 duals, 22re. 39.5s and other stuff. Bobbed, exod, cut up etc. I used to wheel a YJ, then I defected. Now no one talks to me anymore.....cant completly blame that on the switch though.

Mr.B

• "But officer, it was a Subaru!"
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 07:38:38 PM »

I'd clean it up, hit it with some rust converter, spray it whatever color you happen to have nearby (it'll be covered up), then put the new rockers on. Iirc you had some pretty good dents, I'd pound those out before you put the new rockers on.

What the Unicorn from Elf Grove said. :biggrin:
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

You're a super genius....
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein

Dieck

• Supporting Member
  • Beer me.
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 07:41:33 AM »

Thank you sir unicorn.

Dieck

• Supporting Member
  • Beer me.
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2016, 07:05:26 AM »

Progress . Sliders in, half doors on!

Mr.B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 09:34:47 AM »

Nice! Did you use the wood method?
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein

Dieck

• Supporting Member
  • Beer me.
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2016, 03:13:34 PM »

Yes Ben! A version of it. Great idea! Not easy with one person with no skill. I did have a little mishap when my wood (firewood) slipped off when raising my tub. Somehow that jacked up my door alignment at it would not shut. Great motivation to figure out my doorless mirror situation !  I have not found those mirrors you suggested..

Mr.B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2016, 06:03:00 PM »

They have them at my local O'Reilly.

bigsquat

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2016, 10:14:44 PM »

ive found a way to stop rust under stuff like that, you take 2" black pipe wrap that electricians and plumbers use to wrap pipe in the ground and stick it to the slider before its installed

Dieck

• Supporting Member
  • Beer me.
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2016, 05:26:10 AM »

Nice idea big!

Mr.B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2016, 07:07:12 AM »

ive found a way to stop rust under stuff like that, you take 2" black pipe wrap that electricians and plumbers use to wrap pipe in the ground and stick it to the slider before its installed

So its an electricians prophylactic? :biggrin:

Day215

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2016, 08:10:34 AM »

I've heard of people putting rubber sheet between the slider and tub. I cleaned my tub well, hit it with a rattle can cost of black, then sealed the seam with caulk, they're probably rusted to hell, but it'll give me a reason to boat side them. Water will get in no matter what, you just want to make sure it has a way out.

pdangerp

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2016, 04:28:43 PM »

I put a strip of roofing tar on mine. They sell 6" wide rolls at Home Depot. I only unstuck the side on the armor. The backing tape is against my paint. It oozed out a little bit has since stopped.

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2016, 08:51:12 PM »

On my original sliders, I used rattle can bedliner on the tub beneath the slider.  I pulled them off after several years, no signs of rust.  Then I Monsta Lined the entire thing and the sliders.  The new BTF sliders I put on are just painted and put on over the Monsta tub.

bigsquat

« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2016, 07:41:52 PM »

2" wide tape is a a little long