Norcal Jeepers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Tapatalk is still having problems starting new threads, but you can still reply to old threads

Welcome to Norcal Jeepers!
Welcome to Norcal Jeepers! It looks like you're not registered yet. As a guest you are missing out on a bunch of great content that is only viewable once you register. To register, simply follow the link below and fill out some information about yourself. It only takes a few minutes!

Click here to register now!

Author Topic: Lincoln SP-170T  (Read 2526 times)

pdangerp

Lincoln SP-170T
« on: June 17, 2016, 05:49:44 AM »

I have an opportunity to buy the welder in the title for $100 with cart and regulator. Supposedly it works, but it needs a spool holder. I also noted a little damage on the cord.

These welders are 220V single phase, so I should be able to run it in my shop.

Has anyone used one of these? Is it going to be big enough for my needs? The Hobart 140 is nice, but really can't penetrate the thicker stuff. I would keep both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skorch

Re: Lincoln SP-170T
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2016, 08:21:36 AM »

We have one at the shop, not much different than a 140.  Seems to me you can run a max wire size of .030 on gas and  the max on steel wire is .120.  100. is cheap but it's not much of an upgrade from your Hobart.  Mark

Skorch

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2016, 08:35:26 AM »

You should really look into something in the 200 amp range. I am not a very big fan of Lincoln,  however all our trucks carry a Lincoln 140 and they have been very reliable.  One of our guys bought the new Lincoln 210mp and it does scratch start tig and you can burn rod along with mig.  Very nice machine.  Pretty much a one time purchase.   As with all compact machines they have a low duty cycle at higher amps.  A good rule of thumb on steel wire is below 1/4 inch you can pretty much drop the decimal and that's close to the amps needed to weld that thickness.    Eg .120 = 120 amps.  It will get you on the hunt.  Mark

pdangerp

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2016, 08:49:20 AM »

You should really look into something in the 200 amp range. I am not a very big fan of Lincoln,  however all our trucks carry a Lincoln 140 and they have been very reliable.  One of our guys bought the new Lincoln 210mp and it does scratch start tig and you can burn rod along with mig.  Very nice machine.  Pretty much a one time purchase.   As with all compact machines they have a low duty cycle at higher amps.  A good rule of thumb on steel wire is below 1/4 inch you can pretty much drop the decimal and that's close to the amps needed to weld that thickness.    Eg .120 = 120 amps.  It will get you on the hunt.  Mark
Thanks!

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2016, 09:32:39 AM »

I don't know the difference in the SP vs HD model Lincolns. 

I've got the Hobart Handler 140 and a Lincoln 175 HD, and rarely use the Hobart.  I like the Lincoln a lot, I wouldn't say I'd buy it over a Miller at the same price, but I do like it.

pdangerp

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2016, 11:20:32 AM »

Well, it was just that work has one we need to get rid of and I made an offer. Sounds like I'll pass on this one.

pdangerp

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2016, 04:27:04 PM »

So what do you guys know about the Hobart ironman 230? Goes up to 250 amps. The other option is millermatic 252. There's a $500 difference between the two.

Skorch

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2016, 04:35:23 PM »

Both those are good choices.  If it was for commercial use I would say choose the Miller.  I would save the money, you will be more than happy with the Hobart.  Mark

pdangerp

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2017, 09:21:35 AM »

Does anyone have experience with everlast welders?
http://www.everlastgenerators.com/product/mig/powermts-251si-tig-package

I've been watching this guy's YouTube channel and he does quite a bit of cool stuff. He's using all sorts of different equipment (probably sponsors) but I don't see why this isn't a good welder.
https://youtu.be/1Rm14LqOwb0

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2017, 12:25:32 PM »

I've never seen those.  It's got to be hard for anyone in the market to gain a good reputation and following coming in not Red or Blue.

connor0770

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2017, 07:06:27 AM »

You should look into ESAB Welders. Apparently they are the cats meow.
-97 TJ, 35's, Currie 4" lift, Dana 30 w/ ARB, 8.8, Trail Gear Front Bumper With w/ XRC8, LOD Tire Carrier, UCF Tummy Tuck, Smittybuilt Corners, Poison Spider Sliders

pdangerp

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2017, 12:16:11 PM »

People say they pull a lot of amps.

connor0770

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2017, 07:13:20 PM »

People say they pull a lot of amps.

What's wrong with that?
-97 TJ, 35's, Currie 4" lift, Dana 30 w/ ARB, 8.8, Trail Gear Front Bumper With w/ XRC8, LOD Tire Carrier, UCF Tummy Tuck, Smittybuilt Corners, Poison Spider Sliders

pdangerp

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2017, 08:01:52 AM »

What's wrong with that?
My shop only has a 60 Amp circuit run to the sub panel.

connor0770

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2017, 04:00:53 PM »

My shop only has a 60 Amp circuit run to the sub panel.

So you should be fine with a 30amp welder than.  What else is going to take up 30amps in your shop?

Skorch

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2017, 04:45:05 PM »

Pretty sure the Everlast unit will take a 50 amp circuit for full rated amps.  Even if your shop has a 60 amp service as long as your not running everything at the same time and welding at full rated amps you will be fine.  I have 50 amps to my garage,my Miller LXI350 runs just fine as long as I stay below 300 amps.  The Everlast has a lot of features but is still lift arc on the tig portion.  Plus it's a DC machine so to weld aluminum you will have to use as spool gun.

pdangerp

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2017, 06:31:05 PM »

Pretty sure the Everlast unit will take a 50 amp circuit for full rated amps.  Even if your shop has a 60 amp service as long as your not running everything at the same time and welding at full rated amps you will be fine.  I have 50 amps to my garage,my Miller LXI350 runs just fine as long as I stay below 300 amps.  The Everlast has a lot of features but is still lift arc on the tig portion.  Plus it's a DC machine so to weld aluminum you will have to use as spool gun.
Whoa there welderman, that's a lot of lingo.

Skorch

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2017, 07:33:54 PM »

What's up Pat,  basically DC only machines can't tig weld aluminum.   Lift arc means you touch the tungsten to the metal then"lift" it up and it strikes the arc.  Mine has high frequency so I hit the pedal and it shoots the arc to the metal.  There are very few multi purpose machines that can tig weld aluminum . 
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 07:44:41 PM by Skorch »

pdangerp

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2017, 05:49:31 AM »

What's up Pat,  basically DC only machines can't tig weld aluminum.   Lift arc means you touch the tungsten to the metal then"lift" it up and it strikes the arc.  Mine has high frequency so I hit the pedal and it shoots the arc to the metal.  There are very few multi purpose machines that can tig weld aluminum .
Thanks for the tutorial.