Norcal Jeepers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Tapatalk is still having problems starting new threads, but you can still reply to old threads

Welcome to Norcal Jeepers!
Welcome to Norcal Jeepers! It looks like you're not registered yet. As a guest you are missing out on a bunch of great content that is only viewable once you register. To register, simply follow the link below and fill out some information about yourself. It only takes a few minutes!

Click here to register now!

Author Topic: Cobra 29LTD Classic CB  (Read 2220 times)

timatoe

• Administrator
Cobra 29LTD Classic CB
« on: June 19, 2016, 03:42:30 PM »

So I picked up one of these at a yard sale for $2.  https://www.cobra.com/products/professional/29-ltd

They said they didn't know if it worked or not but it had a piece of tape on it that said "can talk can't hear".  Any ideas as to what I should be looking at?

Mr.B

• "But officer, it was a Subaru!"
  • Administrator
Re: Cobra 29LTD Classic CB
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2016, 04:57:47 PM »

Power it up and turn the squelch all the way down. If you still don't hear anything, you could try an external speaker. If all that works from the get go, try transmitting with a different CB. You probably won't need an antenna for it if you are real close to the other CB, and you don't try to transmit on the new one.

Cobra has had some problems with some of their older CB's. But there is supposed to be a reset procedure that will bring them back.
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

You're a super genius....
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein

Sccafire

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2016, 08:55:50 PM »

You should be looking at HAM radio.  :flipoff: That thing is a paper weight.  :biggrin: Hopefully it will work with an external speaker.
Scott

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2016, 09:16:40 PM »

HAM's only good to me if everyone else has it.  I was going to put this one in my truck so I could communicate with others on long trips to Moab and such.

Mr.B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2016, 12:26:29 AM »

HAM's only good to me if everyone else has it.

Well if you get it, then we can get others to get it. And it's also much better for emergencies. You can make an emergency call from anywhere on the Rubicon.
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein

Chris95YJ

• Lil Red
  • Supporting Member
  • "low and slow"
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2016, 08:34:12 AM »

Im just waiting for the next ham Class, on the list but its not looking like its going to happen till August or later
Lil Red- 97 TJ 6cyl, 5.5 longarm, D30/44 geared 4.56 ARBs Atlas 4.3 
Great Turtle- 95 YJ 4 Banger, SOA, teralow, D30/8.8 geared 4.88

Mr.B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2016, 09:08:03 AM »

Just type in your zip code and how far you're willing to drive.

http://www.arrl.org/find-an-amateur-radio-license-exam-session

Have you been studying? There's online classes also.

Sccafire

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2016, 04:31:22 PM »

There is a technician level class in Petaluma every month. July 9th is the next I believe. You will be able to take the test in the same day as the class.
Scott

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2016, 08:58:34 PM »

Well if you get it, then we can get others to get it. And it's also much better for emergencies. You can make an emergency call from anywhere on the Rubicon.

Yeah, but you're with me on the Rubicon 99% of the time.  So unless you're stroking out, I'm good, and if you are I don't give a shit about licenses and what not I'll just start yapping.

Dieck

• Supporting Member
  • Beer me.
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2016, 08:41:16 PM »

I am getting me HAM . chapter three of book. I need to commit and gid r done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Donít sweat the petty things, pet the sweaty things

RockWoRM

• LJ's do it longer
  • Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2016, 02:44:38 PM »

as a side note; when in Moab, CB wasn't working right. So went over to local Radio Shack that tests CB's. Turns out bad antenna and bad transmitter in unit. Junked it all and got new. Maybe just look up local place that can do test and then decide.  :cheers2:
'05 LJR, 4.0, HT, AC, 6sp, 5.13 D44's, Alloy shafts, RC long arm w/6" MC dual rate coils, All MC armor, Warn 9.5, OEM front bumper, Rockhard rear swing out, ProComp bolt in int. cage. CB

Mr.B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2016, 03:49:36 PM »

That's why having your CB tuned is so important. A bad antenna will blow your transmitter.

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2016, 06:24:53 PM »

Haven't even looked into it anymore.  Trying to get a list of honey do's done before surgery.

yj4me

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2016, 04:50:17 AM »

Kinda funny, after I saw the "that things a paper weight" comment I followed the link and looked at the picture.  Same CB I have in my jeep :(   :'(

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2016, 03:33:31 PM »

Kinda funny, after I saw the "that things a paper weight" comment I followed the link and looked at the picture.  Same CB I have in my jeep :(   :'(

It's a nice CB really.  I'd like to get the unit like Ben has that's all in the mic, then I could just do two hookups and move it as needed between my truck and the Jeep.