Norcal Jeepers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Tapatalk is still having problems starting new threads, but you can still reply to old threads

Welcome to Norcal Jeepers!
Welcome to Norcal Jeepers! It looks like you're not registered yet. As a guest you are missing out on a bunch of great content that is only viewable once you register. To register, simply follow the link below and fill out some information about yourself. It only takes a few minutes!

Click here to register now!

Author Topic: "Stitch" - 1993 Wrangler  (Read 1475 times)

Miggles

"Stitch" - 1993 Wrangler
« on: July 19, 2016, 11:21:05 AM »

After riding around in a Tahoe for almost a year, I'm back with a pretty nice 93. The way we picked it up:
4.0, AX15
8.8 rear
33s with 4.10s
4" Procrap lift

Brought it back all the way from the Bay Area. Right front caliper started to seize, got unbearable around 100 miles from Sac. Luckily Brake Masters stayed open for us and got that one side fixed up. Made it home and got the other caliper replaced, also got new rotors for the front.

Traded the hardtop and doors directly across for a soft top and half doors which was a fairly decent trade. The top is in pretty good condition with tinted windows and I figured it'd be less painful scratching up a used top. Kinda wish I waited for the cash for a new Bestop and kept the hard doors but whatever. Live and learn.

Cat was all clogged up so the girl drove me all the way to Reno to pick up a Flowmaster hi-flow cat and Magnaflow glass pack. Sounds great and definitely flows a lot better than the old POS.

Don't know exactly where I want to go now, but I basically want to keep her as she is with a bunch of little stuff. I leave for college in a year and start working on my pilots license in 6 months so the tentative plans are:
35s with 4.88
finish brake upgrades
homebrew fenders
Monstaline interior
repaint to Deep Cherry Red (2012 JK)
SOA - don't know who/where to go for this since my friend (who's done work from NASCAR to vintage airplanes) is never around long enough to get it done

connor0770

Re: "Stitch" - 1993 Wrangler
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2016, 02:39:33 PM »

I have some 35's for sale if you are interested. (4) 35" KM2's with Aluminum wheels (some rock rash on the wheels).  Also, most of us on here can help you with the SOA. Its relatively easy especially with a few hands.
-97 TJ, 35's, Currie 4" lift, Dana 30 w/ ARB, 8.8, Trail Gear Front Bumper With w/ XRC8, LOD Tire Carrier, UCF Tummy Tuck, Smittybuilt Corners, Poison Spider Sliders

Chris95YJ

• Lil Red
  • Supporting Member
  • "low and slow"
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2016, 03:14:14 PM »

Also, most of us on here can help you with the SOA. Its relatively easy especially with a few hands.

people can help, yes, as far as it being easy, the work entailed isn't HARD, but it isn't a one day thing nor is it as cheap as most people make it out to be at least if you do it RIGHT, I speak from experience heres a quick run down.

-New leafs you cant reuse the current lift leafs or you will be too tall,- 340 new 300 used from J&W, get new ones see my issues below, its 40 bucks difference

-spring perches, u-bolts and plates from ruffstuff - 195

-extended brake lines - 80-100

-Slip-yoke eliminator kit - 190.00

-new rear CV driveline - can go cheap and have a front cherokee drive line shortened for 80 for the driveline used, then another 80 to have it rebuilt, or 250 for a new one from sac driveline

-either 1 inch motor mounts from brown dog (the right way) 100 OR a T-case drop kit 50 (will work  but you lose clearance)

-Steering will have to be addressed, the best way is a teraflex high steer knuckle 400 and a ruffstuff 1 ton steering kit 240, not sure what other setup you can use without hitting the leaf spring others may chime in on this one.

-a anti wrap bar, 250 from ruff stuff, plus either a custom belly pan to mount it to or you can order one from barnes 4WD for 200 that you can connect the wrap bar to.

-new shocks to accommodate the new flex of the jeep 240-$$$ depending on the quality, think i paid 350 for 4 blistiens

now you can learn from my mistakes, I bought used leafs which crapped out on me the first time i tried winching someone off a rock, and I also didn't get the steering knuckle at first so I was constantly hitting the steering on my passenger leaf spring and bending it which i replaced like 3 times before I broke down and got the knuckle.
my total cost just for the above parts, 2060, and that's not counting the miscellaneous stuff like ball joints I replaced when pulling the knuckle, bolts and random stuff, probably add another 400-500 bucks to the total cost. not to mention the money I wasted not doing some of the stuff the right way the first time.

I'm not telling you all this to deter you from a SOA lift, my YJ flexes like all hell and wheels like a champ, ( you can look at the great turtle build thread for pics) but I feel a common misconception is that a SOA lift is cheap and easy compared to a off the shelf lift. That said if you still are interested in it, feel free to hit me up if you have questions or need advice.
Lil Red- 97 TJ 6cyl, 5.5 longarm, D30/44 geared 4.56 ARBs Atlas 4.3 
Great Turtle- 95 YJ 4 Banger, SOA, teralow, D30/8.8 geared 4.88

Miggles

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2016, 03:40:57 PM »

I have some 35's for sale if you are interested. (4) 35" KM2's with Aluminum wheels (some rock rash on the wheels).  Also, most of us on here can help you with the SOA. Its relatively easy especially with a few hands.
Thanks for the offer, I'd love to swoop them up from you but I'm a couple weeks out from being able to afford "new" tires. Also how do you think 35s and 4.10s would fair? With 33s I feel like it performs a little lower than I want so wouldn't 35s bring the suck?

I'm not telling you all this to deter you from a SOA lift, my YJ flexes like all hell and wheels like a champ, ( you can look at the great turtle build thread for pics) but I feel a common misconception is that a SOA lift is cheap and easy compared to a off the shelf lift. That said if you still are interested in it, feel free to hit me up if you have questions or need advice.
Thank you for your advice, and I hear you on doing it the right way. I am on a budget and I realize SOA isn't cheap, but if I do it then I will definitely spend the coin doing it the right way. What do you think about doing SOA up front while keeping SUA out back for a while?

Chris95YJ

• Lil Red
  • Supporting Member
  • "low and slow"
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2016, 04:01:54 PM »

Thanks for the offer, I'd love to swoop them up from you but I'm a couple weeks out from being able to afford "new" tires. Also how do you think 35s and 4.10s would fair? With 33s I feel like it performs a little lower than I want so wouldn't 35s bring the suck?

I have 4.88 with a 4 banger on 35s its slow going up hills, and a buddy has 4.10s in a 4 banger and 35s as well and his is a SLUG, now with a 6 cyl it would be a bit better still would be a dog in the hills, but it would wheel ok, gears are not cheap so you could always make do until you have the funds to do it

Thank you for your advice, and I hear you on doing it the right way. I am on a budget and I realize SOA isn't cheap, but if I do it then I will definitely spend the coin doing it the right way. What do you think about doing SOA up front while keeping SUA out back for a while?

not sure how well that would work out, not to mention, a SOA lift on stock leaf springs is a 5.5 inch lift, so you would need to match that in the rear as well
Lil Red- 97 TJ 6cyl, 5.5 longarm, D30/44 geared 4.56 ARBs Atlas 4.3 
Great Turtle- 95 YJ 4 Banger, SOA, teralow, D30/8.8 geared 4.88

Miggles

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2016, 11:15:49 PM »

I have 4.88 with a 4 banger on 35s its slow going up hills, and a buddy has 4.10s in a 4 banger and 35s as well and his is a SLUG, now with a 6 cyl it would be a bit better still would be a dog in the hills, but it would wheel ok, gears are not cheap so you could always make do until you have the funds to do it

not sure how well that would work out, not to mention, a SOA lift on stock leaf springs is a 5.5 inch lift, so you would need to match that in the rear as well
Yeah honestly I don't think I could stand being on 35s with 4.10s. I know I'm not driving a race car but I do like having some speed, especially after driving around a 5.3 Tahoe for a year. Wouldn't be able to afford gears for a while either so :(
The more I think about it, the more I think BDS springs and SUA would be better for me. Right now I just really need more comfort and more flex, plus a lifetime warranty is hard to argue with. They also sell 5" springs which would even out a SOA front and I believe I could get a 2" stretch.

Day215

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2016, 08:15:50 PM »

Might have a set of 2" BDS leafs for sale, I think they're 2", but may be 2.5".
92 Toyota minitruck Front Dana 60 4.88s, Lincoln locked, drive slugs blah blah blah. Rear Dana 70 4.88s, Lincoln locked, 63 chevys. W56 5speed, 2.28 duals, 22re. 39.5s and other stuff. Bobbed, exod, cut up etc. I used to wheel a YJ, then I defected. Now no one talks to me anymore.....cant completly blame that on the switch though.

I'm out of the club. Stay away from my wiener.

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2016, 09:22:39 PM »

Might have a set of 2" BDS leafs for sale, I think they're 2", but may be 2.5".

They're 2".

Miggles

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2020, 03:31:46 PM »

Wow been a while since I've been on here. Moved to Utah for a bit and lived in an old van, was a great place for wheeling but the culture was.. different to say the least  :rofl: Bought an LJ up there, threw on some Fox Resis, had way too much fun in it and spent way too much on it, brought it back with me, and ending up selling it to my pops

For the YJ, it's largely remained the same. While in UT I got some new goodies but mostly stayed the same. Got rid of my skid drop, Brown Dog motor mount lift, body lift, new rear driveshaft, welded front with SOA perches and Teraflex hi steer knuckle, sold off my rockers as I'm going TJ flares and want Warn sliders, new headers, Borla exhaust, and Magnaflow cat for CA smog, head gasket and ported head, and converted to an external slave cylinder. As she sits now

I got a guy coming for the doors and soft top, I always regretted getting rid of the full hard doors and top so I'll be making the switch back, as soon as my ambulance sells. Plan is to clean her up and make it look less of a shit box, new paint, CJ dash conversion, JK Rubicon rims. Never had any issues on the northern UT trails and in Moab with the current setup so I'm not sold on the SOA yet. Will probably throw on some BDS 3" springs to replace the old clapped out ones, unless anyone suggests a different brand?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 03:55:22 PM by Miggles »

Mr.B

• "But officer, it was a Subaru!"
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2020, 09:38:55 PM »

Welcome back again, again.

Other than changing your profile picture and Jeep profile you seem to be doing well.
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

You're a super genius....
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein