Norcal Jeepers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Tapatalk is still having problems starting new threads, but you can still reply to old threads

Welcome to Norcal Jeepers!
Welcome to Norcal Jeepers! It looks like you're not registered yet. As a guest you are missing out on a bunch of great content that is only viewable once you register. To register, simply follow the link below and fill out some information about yourself. It only takes a few minutes!

Click here to register now!

Author Topic: Clutch Problems with a 2014 Harley Davidson Speed Glide  (Read 2027 times)

Mr.B

• "But officer, it was a Subaru!"
  • Administrator
Clutch Problems with a 2014 Harley Davidson Speed Glide
« on: August 28, 2016, 04:02:50 PM »

So my girlfriend recently bought a 2014 Harley Davidson Speed Glide. It was formerly owned by Redding PD. She just loves the bike, but there is a problem. The hydraulic clutch is very hard to pull. Also the lever is too far away for her smaller hands.
 We've Taken the bike to Folsom HD twice. The first time the service writer came out and looked at it and said that all it needed was an "Easy Clutch". Ok, so we went back in to order one. The parts guy started to write up the order. She asked about the fact that it was for a cable clutch, and would it also work for an hydraulic clutch. Although he thought it would, the answer was no. You would think that the service writer would have noticed the hydraulic reservoir on the handlebar. Fortunately she didn't buy it at the time.
 She talked to a few of her Harley friends, that told her that the Redding PD may have put on a stronger clutch spring. So last Friday, we went back. She asked the same parts guy that she wanted a lighter clutch spring for the problem she was having with her "hydraulic" clutch. He pulled out his book and showed her a picture of the "Easy Clutch"! Although the steam was coming out of her ears now, she nicely said that it was for a cable clutch, and there is no cable on a Hydraulic clutch. So back to the service dept. we headed. on our way, we were testing clutches on new bikes in the showroom. They all were easier by the way. The sales manager came up to us and got the full story. He went back to parts with us and looked up an easier clutch spring for us. We went to the service desk, and the writer had to go back to the mechanic to talk to him. The decision that came back to us was that it wouldn't work, and she would just be wasting her money. "There is no adjustment for an hydraulic clutch".
 So according to Folsom Harley, all the bikes out on the showroom were exactly the same as hers. We just think they're easier to pull. Apparently they are as full of themselves as any vehicle dealership is.
If you've gotten this far in this story, you must know something about hydraulics, or like Harleys. So here is my question. Could the hydraulic hose from the MC to the slave be replaced with a smaller (or wider) interior diameter hose, to help ease the pull? Or is there another way to fix this? There are a lot of other people on Harley forums that have the same problem, but no answers.
 There is a solution for the long reach handle with a 3rd party adjustable handle, but HD wants $160 for them. Freaking stealership!

Thanks in advance.
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

You're a super genius....
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein

timatoe

• Administrator
Re: Clutch Problems with a 2014 Harley Davidson Speed Glide
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2016, 07:05:05 PM »

Don't know, but I wouldn't go back to Folsom HD.  Why not go another bike shop, not a HD dealer?

Mr.B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 09:31:56 PM »

She's going to go to Sac. HD first, then look somewhere else.
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein

The Bear Whisperer

• aka - Screaming "Bear"
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2016, 10:17:32 PM »

Is there a chance the original master cylinder was damaged and replaced with the wrong unit? A smaller bore on the MC will have an easier pull. If you go too small, the clutch will not disengage. No, I don't know much about Harley's or even like them. Hope this thought helps though.  :thumbsup:
51 CJ3-A, 4.3 TBI Chevy, SM420, Dana 18TC, D30/44, Yukon Front Axles and Hubs, Detroit Fr / E-Locker Rr, 4.27:1 Gears, 74:1, HD steering, Viair 550C, 100% LED - VisionX headlights, Rigid Light-bar, DOT Fogs, Grote tail, Soft Top, Heater, CB/Ham/Stereo, 35"KM-2's, 3" up, no articulation - it works

Mr.B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2016, 10:56:52 PM »

There was two recalls on the slave, IIRC. One to fix a leak, and the second one to fix the first one. Who ever heard of a Harley leaking?  :rofl:

MajorAssman

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2016, 06:31:14 PM »

Line size makes no difference on force or throw. It's all the diameter of the master vs. the slave.

Mr.B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2016, 07:35:12 PM »

Line size makes no difference on force or throw. It's all the diameter of the master vs. the slave.

Ok, so which should be bigger, the master or the slave?

MajorAssman

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2016, 07:56:42 PM »

Smaller master will provide more pressure to the slave. There is a fine line because if you go too small you will limit the throw. Pics?

The Bear Whisperer

• aka - Screaming "Bear"
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2016, 07:52:41 AM »

Is there a chance the original master cylinder was damaged and replaced with the wrong unit? A smaller bore on the MC will have an easier pull. If you go too small, the clutch will not disengage.  :thumbsup:

think about it
51 CJ3-A, 4.3 TBI Chevy, SM420, Dana 18TC, D30/44, Yukon Front Axles and Hubs, Detroit Fr / E-Locker Rr, 4.27:1 Gears, 74:1, HD steering, Viair 550C, 100% LED - VisionX headlights, Rigid Light-bar, DOT Fogs, Grote tail, Soft Top, Heater, CB/Ham/Stereo, 35"KM-2's, 3" up, no articulation - it works

Mr.B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2016, 10:31:31 AM »

She got the adjustable handles last week, but we haven't put them on yet. We'll see what happens and proceed from there.

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2016, 11:09:20 AM »

I would have to assume the clutch master works just like the brake master, so like Doug and Jon said.... a larger bore gives a stiffer pedal but less actual pressure and visa versa. 

I'd still go to a non HD shop that does custom work, they would probably tell you in two minutes what you need where as the HD guys are gonna keep pushing a stock system etc.

Mr.B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2016, 02:29:14 PM »

I got the adjustable handles on today. The clutch is definitely closer, so its easier for her to grip it. The pull is still hard, but with the better grip, it is easier. Also, for some reason it is going into neutral better now.

The matching brake handle was a PITA to replace. Fucking Harley.

RockWoRM

• LJ's do it longer
  • Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2016, 03:43:51 PM »

Sounds like she should have bought a Suzuki...  :biggrin:  And maybe some specific 'hand' exorcises might be helpful to build strength. I leave which ones she tries up to you...  :smokin:
'05 LJR, 4.0, HT, AC, 6sp, 5.13 D44's, Alloy shafts, RC long arm w/6" MC dual rate coils, All MC armor, Warn 9.5, OEM front bumper, Rockhard rear swing out, ProComp bolt in int. cage. CB

Mr.B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2016, 11:48:43 PM »

I don't think we need any "exorcises" here, but exercises are ok with me. :biggrin:

Dirtkar

Well, I jerked my first tranny. That was awkward.

Mr.B

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2016, 10:27:11 PM »

Christmas is coming... https://rekluse.com/product/harley-davidson-exp-clutch-kit/

Its been talked about. But I think I'd need financing. :shaking:

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2016, 10:59:17 PM »

Good to see they're moving into the modern world.  They've had those for Japanese dirt bikes for years.

Dirtkar

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2016, 08:02:31 PM »

Good to see they're moving into the modern world.  They've had those for Japanese dirt bikes for years.
I've had 3 dirt bikes (2 Hondas, 1 KTM) with one and love them. The only reason my current bike doesn't have one is I don't know if my back is going to let me ride dirt anymore and that's a bit of an investment to find out I'm selling. I would also consider one for the Harley but I was born with man hands. Fortunately for her Ben, Katina wasn't. Start saving up.
Well, I jerked my first tranny. That was awkward.