Norcal Jeepers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Well that was a fun 40 hours. Thank you Godaddy. We're back up and running, but in the next 30 days there will some scheduled down time.

Welcome to Norcal Jeepers!
Welcome to Norcal Jeepers! It looks like you're not registered yet. As a guest you are missing out on a bunch of great content that is only viewable once you register. To register, simply follow the link below and fill out some information about yourself. It only takes a few minutes!

Click here to register now!

Author Topic: You Gotta Love ARB Customer Service  (Read 1829 times)

Mr.B

• "But officer, it was a Subaru!"
  • Administrator
You Gotta Love ARB Customer Service
« on: September 15, 2016, 12:07:43 PM »

So you guys who were on the Ramblers trip know what happened to my ARB compressor. The cap screw that attaches the piston to the motor, sheared off. The "nut" that the screw bolts into, wouldn't give up the rest of the screw. So I couldn't repair it there. I called ARB today, because I couldn't find the "nut" on any parts list. I was on hold for no more than 2 minutes. The tech guy said he didn't have a spare "nut" to send me. So he said he'd just send me a whole new motor, for free!

Way to go ARB!
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

You're a super genius....
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein

Mr.B

• Administrator
Re: You Gotta Love ARB Customer Service
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2016, 12:24:00 PM »

I forgot to add a pic. The little brass "nut" is next to the sheared screw.

White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein

yj4me

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2016, 01:40:52 PM »

Wow, that's awesome.  As I was reading, I had a different outcome in the back of my mind.

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2016, 03:32:00 PM »

That's pretty awesome. 

Dieck

• Supporting Member
  • Beer me.
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2016, 03:54:22 AM »

Glad that worked out Ben!
Donít sweat the petty things, pet the sweaty things

yj4me

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2016, 05:15:44 AM »

you should hit an ace hardware or some such and replace that part anyway, looks like a spare motor to me :p

Mr.B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2016, 08:58:53 AM »

I don't think that you'll find anywhere around here. I called my friend Johnny, to see if I could use his drill press. He answered the phone, but he said he was at the "Top of the World" in Canyonlands National Park. So that will have to wait a while.

yj4me

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2016, 09:17:01 AM »

I don't think that you'll find anywhere around here. I called my friend Johnny, to see if I could use his drill press. He answered the phone, but he said he was at the "Top of the World" in Canyonlands National Park. So that will have to wait a while.

I have a drill press here in my garage.  You are welcome to use it.

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2016, 11:18:55 AM »

..... he said he was at the "Top of the World" in Canyonlands National Park...

I suppose if I had a choice of Moab or the Rubicon, I would've missed last weekend too.

Dirtkar

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2016, 08:40:58 PM »

He's dragging a trailer... I saw some neat pics tho. That place totally reminds me of a Wile E Coyote/Roadrunner cartoon.
Well, I jerked my first tranny. That was awkward.

Mr.B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2016, 09:41:15 PM »

That's right, Grayden went with him didn't he. I thought he was towing the Grand Cherokee behind the RV?

Mr.B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2016, 04:29:57 PM »

I got my motor today, and put it in. I'm going to need a seal kit for it, because every 2 to 3 minutes it cycles for a second to come back up to pressure. And that's with and without the locker actuated.

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2016, 08:24:08 PM »

So a seal kit for the little micro tank, or the compressor, or ???

Mr.B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2016, 11:48:04 PM »

Yes the micro tank. The motor included the head and piston. Which attaches to the tank. But the new one didn't have a seal. And my old seals need to be replaced. I think its @ $5.

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2016, 09:46:53 AM »

Cool, hope you get it all fixed up.

Mr.B

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2016, 03:04:51 PM »

I did!

I was thinking that maybe I could just use the old seal. So I got the old seal out and took the tank apart again. It turns out that the new motor did have a seal. But as I was taking it apart, I noticed that the center bolt for the tank had a small o-ring seal also. And the bolt was tearing it up as I removed it. So I went to Ace hardware and picked up a new one. It wasn't an exact match, but it fit and sealed it up. Now it takes about 30 minutes for the compressor to cycle.

I then decided that I'd try to fix the line going into the diff. I had to cut about 1/4" off the hose, and no more cycling from the diff.

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2016, 04:37:37 PM »

Wondering......  If that line isn't long enough would using a trail repair splicer add enough length to it?  Or, just get some new 5mm line.  Mine came with enough line with each ARB to run two.  I gave Daniel the entire length of the second line.  (Hint Hint)

Mr.B

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2016, 09:08:10 PM »

While I was dinking around with it, I discovered that I could re-route it to get another 3" or so. I'm hoping that it will be enough. I'll have to do some crawling to find out for sure. But I had the compressor on, with the locker on, for over 30 minutes with no cycling of the compressor. So I got bored and turned it off.

amcguy

• 'better to burn out than rust away" Neil Young
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2016, 01:10:14 PM »

Years ago I had the seals in an early ARB locker fail.  ARB sent me a full seal kit also for free.  They are a good company with excellent products.  I always stop and talk to them when attending SEMA.  Great folks.  Invested in an ARB fridge several years ago.  Not a small investment but between the shop and trips have used it almost non stop for two years with excellent results.