Norcal Jeepers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Welcome to Norcal Jeepers!
Welcome to Norcal Jeepers! It looks like you're not registered yet. As a guest you are missing out on a bunch of great content that is only viewable once you register. To register, simply follow the link below and fill out some information about yourself. It only takes a few minutes!

Click here to register now!

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Upgrading my Rubicon LJ...  (Read 851 times)

RockWoRM

• LJ's do it longer
Re: Upgrading my Rubicon LJ...
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2016, 08:42:10 AM »

Yeah, I could prolly recover some of the cost by selling the Rubi 44's... but again, don't have all that cash laying around. But you'll be first in line Doug... if we're both still around when that happens in a few years...   :rofl:
As far as the knuckles, I looked into those black magic brakes everyone on the TJ side gets all excited about. They sell a 17" dual caliper upgrade kit for about $1,100. Not sure what knuckles they use?? So I have no idea if they are stronger/better or just ordinary knuckles that accept the caliper??
'05 LJR, 4.0, HT, AC, 6sp, 5.13 D44's, Alloy shafts, RC long arm w/6" MC dual rate coils, All MC armor, Warn 9.5, OEM front bumper, Rockhard rear swing out, ProComp bolt in int. cage. CB

Sccafire

« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2016, 11:37:40 AM »

Yeah, I could prolly recover some of the cost by selling the Rubi 44's... but again, don't have all that cash laying around. But you'll be first in line Doug... if we're both still around when that happens in a few years...   :rofl:
As far as the knuckles, I looked into those black magic brakes everyone on the TJ side gets all excited about. They sell a 17" dual caliper upgrade kit for about $1,100. Not sure what knuckles they use?? So I have no idea if they are stronger/better or just ordinary knuckles that accept the caliper??

You won't need that kit if you go with the CORE axle housing and Reid Knuckles. The Reid knuckles will accept 3/4 ton brake setups.
Scott

timatoe

« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2016, 12:08:27 PM »

Then use some of those monster sized dual piston calipers like on my HP44.

amcguy

« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2016, 02:44:47 PM »

Talked to Dana, Teraflex, Currie and Dynatrac at SEMA last week.  Bottom line is they will build you any size and combination you want for axles.  Surprising Dynatrac had the best offer for HD44 front, HD60 rear, both high pinion with any type of locker you desire.  $10.5k for a pair.

Still a lot of money.  So I talked to WFO in Auburn earlier this week.  They have tons of experience building all types of 4x4s.  They will listen to you, share their knowledge and offer recommendations. As a result I am no longer replacing my JK axles, rather letting them modify the existing axles for greater strength.  Their experience shows the modified stock axle. granted my JK has 44s already, if driven sanely will hold up just fine with 37s at just a fraction of the cost of starting all over with replacement units.  Works for me.
You might want to chat with them first.
Greydon

timatoe

« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2016, 08:12:06 PM »

The only problem with WFO is they are far away from him, but so is basically any other company.  You could save on shipping though by coming up and dropping off just the axles or the entire Jeep.

Skorch

« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2016, 10:21:03 AM »

timatoe

« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2016, 09:32:14 PM »

That's practically in your backyard.

RockWoRM

• LJ's do it longer
« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2016, 02:23:55 PM »

Yeah, Merced is about 45 min away. Thanks for the link, btw. At this point, me thinks I'm leaning towards just trussing it and keep the 37's and taking my chances.  Since it seems I can't get jack for the 37's selling them... it would cost me another extra $800 just to get new 35's!  :eek: I'd rather put that money towards truss's and steering and new shocks.
'05 LJR, 4.0, HT, AC, 6sp, 5.13 D44's, Alloy shafts, RC long arm w/6" MC dual rate coils, All MC armor, Warn 9.5, OEM front bumper, Rockhard rear swing out, ProComp bolt in int. cage. CB

RockWoRM

• LJ's do it longer
« Reply #48 on: December 21, 2016, 07:09:31 PM »

Well, a bit of an update;

As in last post... I decided to do some upgrade insurance work. A friend of mine hooked me up with a new wrench guy in town. He specializes in lift kits, fabrication and welding and general 4x4 work. He quoted me what I thought was a good price on installing an ARTEC front truss, the 'C' bracket kit, and new HD lower control arm brackets... which in his opinion, was a weak point on TJ's and rocks.  The truss, welding the C's and the new brackets + labor, were less than buying new 35's! He also threw in welding the rear tubes since I didn't feel the rear needed a truss since it has alloy shafts.

As it turned out... it was money well spent. While working on the truss, he told me the pass side upper control arm bracket was cracked on both sides! :eek: That could have been a disaster waiting to happen... 'cause I doubt I would have ever know it was that way! He said he thought the arm was out of adjustment by a turn or so and was putting excess stress on that side. Told him to check everything else out. Mentioned to him my steering was sloppier than it used to be, so we checked that out too. Turned out the culprit was a loose pitman arm nut. After tightening and re-torqueing... everything back to normal. So I guess I don't need to buy a PSC steering system at this point in time! lol.

So, since I was this far into the project, I had him order me some new Fox 2.0 shocks. Woot! Just drove it home tonight and 10 time better than the RC shocks that were on it. Perhaps a bit early, but don't think I need an anti-rock at this point. The new shocks firmed things up quite a bit!  :2thumbsup:
Should be all set for Moab now!  :thumbsup:  Can't wait!!  :cheers2:

Mr.B

• "But officer, it was a Subaru!"
  • Administrator
« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2016, 09:47:10 PM »

Well that was a good catch.

Maybe you should "upgrade" to leaf springs. There's a lot less to break. :flipoff:
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

You're a super genius....
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein

timatoe

« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2016, 12:56:54 AM »

...... the pass side upper control arm bracket was cracked on both sides! :eek: That could have been a disaster waiting to happen...

Eh, I got a whole roll of gorilla tape in the Jeep, we could get you back to camp.  :eek:

RockWoRM

• LJ's do it longer
« Reply #51 on: December 22, 2016, 05:41:33 PM »

Maybe you should "upgrade" to leaf springs. There's a lot less to break. :flipoff:
Well, if you were going to Moab with us... one ride in my 'slinky spring' LJ and you'd be taking a torch to those beloved leafs!!!   :rofl:
Pages: 1 2 [3]