Norcal Jeepers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Tapatalk is still having problems starting new threads, but you can still reply to old threads

Welcome to Norcal Jeepers!
Welcome to Norcal Jeepers! It looks like you're not registered yet. As a guest you are missing out on a bunch of great content that is only viewable once you register. To register, simply follow the link below and fill out some information about yourself. It only takes a few minutes!

Click here to register now!

Author Topic: Cosco LED Shop Lights  (Read 2447 times)

connor0770

Cosco LED Shop Lights
« on: February 14, 2017, 07:49:27 AM »

I just bought 3 of these bad boys. For $30 its a great deal. After i fix the water damage in the house, i plan on buying 5 more of these.
https://www.costco.com/.product.100284402.html

Ill post pictures tonight. Currently anything is better than my single 70w halogenbulb lighting the garage.
-97 TJ, 35's, Currie 4" lift, Dana 30 w/ ARB, 8.8, Trail Gear Front Bumper With w/ XRC8, LOD Tire Carrier, UCF Tummy Tuck, Smittybuilt Corners, Poison Spider Sliders

Mr.B

• "But officer, it was a Subaru!"
  • Administrator
Re: Cosco LED Shop Lights
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 10:11:39 AM »

At least they're not RoHS compliant. Which means they might actually work.

I used to have two 8' shop lights in my old garage. They were great for light, but a PITA for maintenance.
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

You're a super genius....
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein

connor0770

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 11:02:58 AM »

At least they're not RoHS compliant. Which means they might actually work.

I used to have two 8' shop lights in my old garage. They were great for light, but a PITA for maintenance.

These are non-replaceable bulbs... so hopefully i don't have to do any maintenance.
-97 TJ, 35's, Currie 4" lift, Dana 30 w/ ARB, 8.8, Trail Gear Front Bumper With w/ XRC8, LOD Tire Carrier, UCF Tummy Tuck, Smittybuilt Corners, Poison Spider Sliders

Mr.B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 11:19:36 AM »

It says they last over 45 years. They may be around longer than you. :biggrin:
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein

pdangerp

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 06:50:38 PM »

Some of the reviews hate on surface mount. Can you hang on a chain?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2017, 03:48:00 AM »

So they're $30 ea?

You can convert standard shop lights (if you have them) but it's about $14 per bulb.  I've got 16 bulbs in the garage, so it's gonna be pricey.

connor0770

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2017, 07:05:28 AM »

Some of the reviews hate on surface mount. Can you hang on a chain?

They come with both chains and braided wire. I surface mounted mine since my lid is rocked.  I had to add blocking between my trusses since they don't mount at 16" O.C. 

pdangerp

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2017, 04:40:56 PM »

Your "lid is rocked"? Wtf is that bs?

Mr.B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2017, 05:51:06 PM »

Millennial Construction Speak: His garage has a stone or mason tiles. And the support beams are 16" apart. So he had to add cross members to mount them.

I think...?  :shaking:

It could be something about flat bill hats though.

bigsquat

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2017, 08:01:21 PM »

i bought some of amazon for 14 apiece then tried the ebay ones. work great.

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2017, 03:05:00 AM »

Bob, do those come with the tombstone mounts?  Being the T8 and T12 are a different size I need the tombstones for about half of the lights I've got.

I assumed the "lid is rocked" meant there was sheet rock on the ceiling vs exposed rafters.

bigsquat

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2017, 10:08:18 AM »

they dont come with tombstones. they will work with t8  or t12  ones. i wanted to make sure i got double end feed lamps and they advertised that thats what they were.  dont get single end fed ones or ones that get lit up thru the existing ballast. when they came the lamps said single end fed and i was pissed. i got ahold of the seller and he said it would work like double end fed ones and i gave it a try and they did. almost sent them back. i just snipped all the wires off the ballsat and left it there. hooked on end of the fixtures tombstone wires to the hot and the other end of the fixture to the nuetral. easy and quick and being double end fed meens u can put the lamp in any directiion. i know u already now this but thought i would put it out there for the masses. so for 13 bucks u can convert a 2 lamp shop lite to led's. if u have broken or missing tombstone i have some but your far away. i think home depot sells them
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 02:06:41 PM by bigsquat »

bigsquat

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2017, 10:12:12 AM »

i replaced the 4  in my kitchen and its aliitle to bright. i can see how messed up things are now

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2017, 12:11:23 PM »

Cool, I'll look at that then.  I thought I had to do tombstones, so that's a plus not needing new ones.

connor0770

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2017, 06:32:17 PM »

We use that term in construction.  Means the ceiling has been sheetrocked.

I snipped the end off and wired it to the switch next to my door:  need 3 more for the other side and should be good!

bigsquat

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2017, 01:26:26 PM »

looking good

pdangerp

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2017, 06:16:41 PM »

I need to do something. I've only got 2 bulbs in my main garage. It's too dark to do anything with the door closed.

connor0770

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2017, 09:32:39 AM »

I need to do something. I've only got 2 bulbs in my main garage. It's too dark to do anything with the door closed.

Pick some of these up.  I need 3 more for the other side of the garage.