Norcal Jeepers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Attention members! We are going to be switching our URL from: www.norcaljeepers.co   to: www.norcaljeepers.com
The .net is already gone. Please bookmark the .com URL.  If you use tapatalk, you will have to switch over eventually.

Welcome to Norcal Jeepers!
Welcome to Norcal Jeepers! It looks like you're not registered yet. As a guest you are missing out on a bunch of great content that is only viewable once you register. To register, simply follow the link below and fill out some information about yourself. It only takes a few minutes!

Click here to register now!

Author Topic: Cage Stanchion Strength  (Read 355 times)

connor0770

• Administrator
Cage Stanchion Strength
« on: March 02, 2017, 11:53:03 AM »

So I want to get started on my cage since I'm planning on tying in my coilovers to the horizontal bar between my B and C pillar.

What is everybody's opinion on the dash cage stanchions? I have access to a bender and will be doing the the remainder of the cage myself. I dont really want to cut up the dash and screw with the AC vents.

1) Would you trust them? I do plan on tying every pillar into the frame.
2) Which design is stronger? A pillar welding to top of stanchion (genright/poisonspyder) or dash cross bar welding to side of stanchion with A pillar welding to crossbar (motobilt).

Motobilt (my favorite):
https://www.motobilt.com/jeep-tj-lj-cage-dash-tie-in.html
Genright:
http://genright.com/products/tj-lj-cage-stanchions.html
-97 TJ, 35's, Currie 4" lift, Dana 30 w/ ARB, 8.8, Trail Gear Front Bumper With w/ XRC8, LOD Tire Carrier, UCF Tummy Tuck, Smittybuilt Corners, Poison Spider Sliders

timatoe

Re: Cage Stanchion Strength
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 12:41:20 PM »

I don't know if one is going to be much stronger than the other.  I'd think in theory because any roll pressure would be pushed down on the top of the Genright it should be stronger than the side shear of the Motobilt but it's just a piece of bent plate with a small gusset vs the amount of weld area on the tube on the side so I don't think it's necessarily "stronger".  I think the frame tie in would be key to either.

I like the way the Motobilt looks (and it's less than half the price).

Mr.B

• "But officer, it was a Subaru!"
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 01:03:05 PM »

I don't remember what brand of roll cage Patrick has. But it does go through the dash. I seem to remember him saying that it was stronger that way. And that the A/C wasn't that hard to re-route.

A/c is over-rated anyway. :flipoff:
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

You're a super genius....
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein

timatoe

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2017, 01:08:59 PM »

Patrick had his done down in Campbell at Arabia's Overkill.  Yeah my head is full of useless knowledge, but I can't remember anything important.

pdangerp

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2017, 07:48:34 PM »

Yes, Arabia's Overkill. I lost the use of the outside vents though. I did keep the small side window defrost vents. If you're going to the trouble of tying everything else to the frame, you should probably just drill through your dash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scarfist

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2017, 03:27:27 PM »

After you cut the hole in the top of the dash, use a heat gun :pissed: and tubing to remold the vent ducting.
I pulled the vent grill off and aimed the heat gun in it to warm up the duct. Started with a broom handle until I could get the cage size tube in there. With the tube down thru the dash, let the plastic cool. 
97 TJ, 33's, Dana 30(Spartan)/44(LSD), RE 3.5 springs Metalcloak control arms, A-Z Fab front bumper, Warn XD9000I, Dirtwork rear bumper, Warn sliders, UFC skid, KOZ sport cage.