Norcal Jeepers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Well that was a fun 40 hours. Thank you Godaddy. We're back up and running, but in the next 30 days there will some scheduled down time.

Welcome to Norcal Jeepers!
Welcome to Norcal Jeepers! It looks like you're not registered yet. As a guest you are missing out on a bunch of great content that is only viewable once you register. To register, simply follow the link below and fill out some information about yourself. It only takes a few minutes!

Click here to register now!

Author Topic: OBA A/C Conversion  (Read 1061 times)

andyinCopper

OBA A/C Conversion
« on: March 31, 2017, 07:43:51 PM »

I'm planning on doing an OBA conversion later this year using my stock A/C. Does anyone know if there is a switch I can get to make the compressor clutch engage?
Also, anyone know how to bypass the low pressure switch. I think that's why my compressor doesn't work now.
1990 wrangler 4.2, Howell TBI, 3sp Auto, D30 E-locker front, 8.8 with trac-lok rear. np231. about 4" of lift. 33" BFG KM2s, SYE, Tom Woods Drive Shaft. □|||||||□

Day215

Re: OBA A/C Conversion
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 08:49:36 PM »

The compressor is run off of a 12v feed. You can run the two leads to a standard toggle switch and trigger it when needed. You'll need an online pressure switch to turn the compressor on and off at the desired PSI and some other odds and ends.
92 Toyota minitruck Front Dana 60 4.88s, Lincoln locked, drive slugs blah blah blah. Rear Dana 70 4.88s, Lincoln locked, 63 chevys. W56 5speed, 2.28 duals, 22re. 39.5s and other stuff. Bobbed, exod, cut up etc. I used to wheel a YJ, then I defected. Now no one talks to me anymore.....cant completly blame that on the switch though.

I'm out of the club. Stay away from my wiener.

andyinCopper

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 09:05:00 PM »

The pressure switch is where I want to have a toggle. I'm not planning on using a tank, just an open air chuck, and turn it on when I need it. Just want to use it for tires.

I already know I need an air tool oiler, filter, and possibly a water/oil separator.
1990 wrangler 4.2, Howell TBI, 3sp Auto, D30 E-locker front, 8.8 with trac-lok rear. np231. about 4" of lift. 33" BFG KM2s, SYE, Tom Woods Drive Shaft. □|||||||□

connor0770

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 11:52:43 AM »

The compressor is run off of a 12v feed. You can run the two leads to a standard toggle switch and trigger it when needed. You'll need an online pressure switch to turn the compressor on and off at the desired PSI and some other odds and ends.

how did you remove the AC condenser? Is there a way to do it without cutting the lines?
-97 TJ, 35's, Currie 4" lift, Dana 30 w/ ARB, 8.8, Trail Gear Front Bumper With w/ XRC8, LOD Tire Carrier, UCF Tummy Tuck, Smittybuilt Corners, Poison Spider Sliders

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 03:40:16 PM »

I think you'll find you're gonna want a tank of some sort.  Without a means to shut off the compressor at a set psi, seems to me you could rupture your air hose via too much pressure if you're not quick enough.

Here's a write up for mine, at the end is a list of parts I used and where I got them.  I didn't use the stock compressor though.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/90-4-2-w-serp-oba-build-598268/

amcguy

• 'better to burn out than rust away" Neil Young
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2017, 04:08:53 PM »

I agree with Timatoe, stock AC compressor puts out a high volume and is capable of compressing over 300 PSI.  Not sure an open air chuck at the end of standard air line would bleed excess volume/pressure fast enough.  On my '72 CJ-5 I used a York AC compressor feeding 3 gallon tank.  Tank was rated to 200 PSI.  Got an adjustable pressure switch from Platt, set to 100 PSI (did not want to run the ARBs higher than that), installed a 175 PSI pressure relief valve for safety.  Could air up a 33 inch tire in under two minutes at idle.  It was impressive how much air a stock AC pump makes.

amcguy

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2017, 08:14:33 AM »

A little late to be jumping back in to this, but airing up numerous times this past week made wonder what the volume output is on the stock Sanden?

The York comes in three basic variants, 206, 209 and 210 (bigger numbers = bigger output).  I run the 209 because that's the first thing I came across for $20 when I was looking.  I can fill 37's from 8 psi to 28 psi in just over a minute a piece.  It's something to consider.