Norcal Jeepers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Well that was a fun 40 hours. Thank you Godaddy. We're back up and running, but in the next 30 days there will some scheduled down time.

Welcome to Norcal Jeepers!
Welcome to Norcal Jeepers! It looks like you're not registered yet. As a guest you are missing out on a bunch of great content that is only viewable once you register. To register, simply follow the link below and fill out some information about yourself. It only takes a few minutes!

Click here to register now!

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Electric fuel pump  (Read 2739 times)

Screaming Bear

• Supporting Member
  • "the Bear Whisperer"
Re: Electric fuel pump
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2017, 10:50:00 AM »

I clicked on your image and it blows it up huge. I still couldn't tell you what's what. The red wire has a poor solder joint.

Better leave the diagnosis to Howell. I'd replace the ign mod before proceeding with another filter though. Can't hurt to have a spare. 
51 CJ3-A, 4.3 TBI Chevy, SM420, Dana 18TC, 30/44 Full Floaters, Yukon Front Axle and Hubs, rear drive flanges, Detroit Fr / E-Locker Rr, 4.27:1 Gears, 74:1, HD steering / 4 wheel disk brakes, Viair 550C, 100% LED - VisionX headlights, Rigid Light-bar, DOT Fogs, Grote tail, Soft Top and Heater, 35"KM-2's, 3" up, no articulation - it works

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2017, 02:04:32 PM »

Yeah, I put another HEI module, condenser, cap and rotor in there last night.  Another tach filter will be here in the morning hopefully.

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2019, 07:58:41 AM »

So......

Got the axles back in after gearing and all that and drove it to Robert's house yesterday.  Ran fine there, ran fine back to town.  Walked out of the pharmacy and exactly the same thing happening, cranking but not firing.  I haven't had a chance to even look at it, it's actually still on my trailer in the driveway.  I'm going to run back through the same basic diagnosis as before.

I never wrapped up the original thread with, Troy at Howell said the HEI module can fail and cause a voltage spike (like Doug mentioned) and blow the tach filter.  If it tests out to be to the tach filter again I'll order another and ask if there's something I can do inline (fuse-ish) to prevent it again if the module goes bad.

Screaming Bear

• Supporting Member
  • "the Bear Whisperer"
« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2019, 07:54:54 AM »

Doug, don't those brown components look like fuses?

Could be. Good question for Howell. If they are you could easily solder in a replaceable fuse and carry a bunch. I would check with an ohm meter. Think the two with numbers are probably diodes. Be sure to use a digital meter poking around the IC.
51 CJ3-A, 4.3 TBI Chevy, SM420, Dana 18TC, 30/44 Full Floaters, Yukon Front Axle and Hubs, rear drive flanges, Detroit Fr / E-Locker Rr, 4.27:1 Gears, 74:1, HD steering / 4 wheel disk brakes, Viair 550C, 100% LED - VisionX headlights, Rigid Light-bar, DOT Fogs, Grote tail, Soft Top and Heater, 35"KM-2's, 3" up, no articulation - it works

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2019, 10:02:13 AM »

With the rain and my work schedule I haven't tested anything yet.  I'm thinking if it turns out to be another bad HEI module I may ditch the HEI, go back to the stock distributor and do the "Team Rush" mod on it. 

Mr.B

• "But officer, it was a Subaru!"
  • Administrator
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2019, 12:54:44 PM »

Those probably are fuses, but we talked about that before. But the real question is why are they blowing? You might be better off going back to the original dizzy.
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

You're a super genius....
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein

andyinCopper

« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2019, 09:05:56 PM »

Did you make sure to check the three fuses in the howell wiring harness under your dash? I had a problem with a loose wire causing me to randomly blow one of those fuses, and then it would turn over and not start. I now carry several extra fuses with me.
1990 wrangler 4.2, Howell TBI, 3sp Auto, D30 E-locker front, 8.8 with trac-lok rear. np231. about 4" of lift. 33" BFG KM2s, SYE, Tom Woods Drive Shaft. □|||||||□

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2019, 04:11:37 PM »

I haven't checked anything yet this time due to weather and work.  The Jeep is actually sitting on my trailer in the driveway still hooked to the truck.

The first time it happened it turned out to be a bad HEI module that burned up the tach filter.  I'm having a feeling that it's the same thing again, I'm gonna ditch it if so.

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2019, 07:42:40 PM »

OK, so since this was my first day off and it's not raining.  I went to take the Jeep off the trailer and Robert suggested just seeing if it would start and low and behold it did.  I have no idea why it started or why it didn't start the other day.

All I know for sure is that day it smelled strongly of gas inside the cab (the fuel cell is in the back partially through the floor).  Sometimes it'll smell after a fill up but usually not after and it's currently between 1/2 and 3/4 full.  It doesn't smell like fuel in there today, so who knows.

Screaming Bear

• Supporting Member
  • "the Bear Whisperer"
« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2019, 08:44:34 PM »

Any chance your ignition switch is flaky?

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2019, 09:04:22 AM »

Any chance your ignition switch is flaky?

I have replaced it before, but it was turning over fine, I'd have to assume it would have fire if it turns over because of the way the HEI is wired.  But I could be wrong.

Screaming Bear

• Supporting Member
  • "the Bear Whisperer"
« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2019, 08:03:43 AM »

I have replaced it before, but it was turning over fine, I'd have to assume it would have fire if it turns over because of the way the HEI is wired.  But I could be wrong.
I've had various symptoms. My old Honda had the same as yours, crank but no ignition while cranking. It was okay in the on position. My Jeep with a VW column had ignition but no accessories while driving. I replaced the switch and a few years later the cranking quit. I use a start button anyway. CJ's had issues with the big plug on the firewall corroding. Not sure if YJ even has that plug but worth juicing it with de-ox if it has one. Intermittent problems suck.

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2019, 09:40:17 AM »

I'm hoping it was just a freak thing and it won't happen again, but I know that's unlikely.  I really just hoping not to get stuck again, or at least be able to trouble shoot when it happens.

andyinCopper

« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2019, 01:34:13 AM »

I'd bet it's the wires that go to the fuse box.
1990 wrangler 4.2, Howell TBI, 3sp Auto, D30 E-locker front, 8.8 with trac-lok rear. np231. about 4" of lift. 33" BFG KM2s, SYE, Tom Woods Drive Shaft. □|||||||□

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2019, 11:19:23 AM »

I'd bet it's the wires that go to the fuse box.

That is possible, I've had several issues with the fuse box.  I think I've got three or four inline fuses now that have bypassed the box.  I'll look into that more later.
Pages: 1 2 [3]