Norcal Jeepers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Tapatalk is still having problems starting new threads, but you can still reply to old threads

Welcome to Norcal Jeepers!
Welcome to Norcal Jeepers! It looks like you're not registered yet. As a guest you are missing out on a bunch of great content that is only viewable once you register. To register, simply follow the link below and fill out some information about yourself. It only takes a few minutes!

Click here to register now!

Author Topic: TJ axle shafts  (Read 1425 times)

eastcoastjeeper

TJ axle shafts
« on: July 06, 2017, 04:50:01 PM »

Looking to upgrade the Dana 30 axle shafts in my YJ with some TJ shafts

Mr.B

• "But officer, it was a Subaru!"
  • Administrator
Re: TJ axle shafts
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 05:22:00 PM »

You can try Craigslist, or J&W.

http://jwjeep.com/

Welcome back.
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

You're a super genius....
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein

Day215

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 08:49:25 PM »

You can grab them from XJ's at pick and pull all day long. Anything from a "Wrangler" will up the price significantly. I pulled mine from pick and pull.
92 Toyota minitruck Front Dana 60 4.88s, Lincoln locked, drive slugs blah blah blah. Rear Dana 70 4.88s, Lincoln locked, 63 chevys. W56 5speed, 2.28 duals, 22re. 39.5s and other stuff. Bobbed, exod, cut up etc. I used to wheel a YJ, then I defected. Now no one talks to me anymore.....cant completly blame that on the switch though.

I'm out of the club. Stay away from my wiener.

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2017, 03:51:43 AM »

The XJ's also started earlier with the larger u-joints ('93 I think).

Dirtkar

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2017, 09:16:32 PM »

Larger u-joint XJ shafts are in 96' and up I'm pretty sure.
Well, I jerked my first tranny. That was awkward.

Mr.B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2017, 10:32:45 PM »

What's wrong with your current axle shafts? Is it the CAD, or broken u-joints?
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein

eastcoastjeeper

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 08:53:27 AM »

i wanted to upgrade the dana 30 shafts while it was torn apart.  I am regearing up front to 4.88 gears when the new 8.8 axle goes in the rear.

Mr.B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2017, 01:09:20 PM »

Are you planning on putting an auto or a selectable locker up front? IMO, you won't be happy with an auto locker and TJ shafts. '95 YJ shafts have the bigger u-joints, so you can keep the vacuum disconnect.

eastcoastjeeper

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2017, 10:12:56 PM »

I was planning on getting the larger u-joints.  My vacuum system already went to shit.  Did the drill a hole an bolt through the fork trick a year ago.  For now, a front locker is in the budget or needed for the wheeling I do.  The new 8.8 will have a ARB locker.  JW has the complete inner/outer shaft set for $250  Saw some XJ's online at pick n pull.  Need to check that out.   

Mr.B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2017, 10:52:49 PM »

J&W has a '95 set for $250? They just love their used parts don't they. I think you can find them for much cheaper. Tell them you can go TJ shafts for $100. I think they'll lower their price. 11 years ago, I called them for a power steering conversion. They told me that it would cost me $400 for used parts. I bought rebuilt parts for $200. You can find a better deal than that, or they may lower their price.

What I do is carry spare shafts. Which I bought for $30 from a fellow Jeeper.

Mr.B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2017, 10:54:20 PM »

Yeah, try P&P first.

eastcoastjeeper

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2017, 08:54:18 AM »

Thanks man.  Yeah i know they try to charge prices for used gear like it was brand new out of the box.

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2017, 02:15:50 PM »

Their prices are ridiculous.  They quoted someone more for a used mirror than you can buy a brand new one for.

I bought an entire D30 from an XJ for $50, pulled the shafts and all the brake hardware and tossed the rest.  I bought another set from a guy on the eastcoast who shipped them here for $50 total.  Don't get raped by J&W, they've got a lot of stuff, but I would be reluctant to call them Jeeper friendly.  They screwed me once on price after I drove there from Nevada City for a quoted price to find the new price was more than four times what they said on the phone.  Never again.

FWIW, I never noticed anything bad with an Aussie locker and solid shafts in the D30, maybe a half dozen times I heard it clicking when slow rolling into a parking spot in a lot or such.

Mr.B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2017, 02:40:44 PM »

To make matters worse, the Rancho Jeep yard seems to be closed.

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2017, 03:27:43 PM »

So is Capital Jeeps.

pdangerp

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2017, 04:02:24 PM »

G2 axles were a pretty good deal when I upgraded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Day215

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2017, 06:39:13 PM »

Rancho p&p, xj shafts for $90 and your done. The difference in u joint size is subtle, I'd bring something to measure the diameter, rather than just trusting the year of the vehicle.
92 Toyota minitruck Front Dana 60 4.88s, Lincoln locked, drive slugs blah blah blah. Rear Dana 70 4.88s, Lincoln locked, 63 chevys. W56 5speed, 2.28 duals, 22re. 39.5s and other stuff. Bobbed, exod, cut up etc. I used to wheel a YJ, then I defected. Now no one talks to me anymore.....cant completly blame that on the switch though.

I'm out of the club. Stay away from my wiener.