Norcal Jeepers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Attention members! We are going to be switching our URL from: www.norcaljeepers.co   to: www.norcaljeepers.com
The .net is already gone. Please bookmark the .com URL.  If you use tapatalk, you will have to switch over eventually.

Welcome to Norcal Jeepers!
Welcome to Norcal Jeepers! It looks like you're not registered yet. As a guest you are missing out on a bunch of great content that is only viewable once you register. To register, simply follow the link below and fill out some information about yourself. It only takes a few minutes!

Click here to register now!

Author Topic: 4.2 running warm up long hill, and crawling, but fine cruising on hwy.  (Read 202 times)

andyinCopper

I replaced the Radiator in my YJ with a Champion 2 row radiator, because the old one had a leak (it cooled fine though)
After replacing it I have noticed that my engine will run a little warm, 220-230, when crawling, (so my thought was fan or fan clutch) and then it was getting warm again on my way to the rubicon trip, on the hill between Placerville and Pollock Pines. Maybe the engine it just tired, and therefore causing it to run warm? I don't remember it doing this at all with the old radiator. Any ideas?
1990 wrangler 4.2, stock carter carb, 3sp Auto, D30 E-locker front, 8.8 with trac-lok rear. np231. 2.5" springs, 1.25" boom shackles. 33" BFG KM2s, SYE, Tom Woods Drive Shaft. □|||||||□

Screaming Bear

• "the Bear Whisperer"

Check your ignition timing including vacuum and mechanical advance if it has 'em. Thermostat not opening all the way.
51 CJ3-A, 4.3 TBI Chevy, SM420, Dana 18TC, 30/44 Full Floaters, Yukon Front Axle and Hub upgrade, rear drive flanges, Detroit Fr / E-Locker Rr, 4.27:1 Gears, 74:1, HD steering / power, 4 wheel disk brakes, Viair 550C, VisionX LED headlights, Soft Top and Heater, 35"KM-2's, 3" Lift, no articulation - it works

Dieck

• Beer me.

I did same radiator just before you.  Only a few short periods where it was a smudge over 190.  Been up same roads.  I replaced  the thermostat with radiator.  Perhaps thermostat..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1995 wrangler SE 2.5 5sp 30/35 dana. Lockers . Teralow. Leafs Over. 35" KO2s . A lot of dents.

pdangerp

• Supporting Member

Is your coolant mixture correct? Too much coolant and not enough water can cause cooling problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

andyinCopper

Coolant is 50/50. I'm going to put in a new thermostat. And then if that doesn't work I'll do a new water pump and fan clutch.
1990 wrangler 4.2, stock carter carb, 3sp Auto, D30 E-locker front, 8.8 with trac-lok rear. np231. 2.5" springs, 1.25" boom shackles. 33" BFG KM2s, SYE, Tom Woods Drive Shaft. □|||||||□

Mr.B

• "But officer, it was a Subaru!"
  • Administrator

There's a guy on Jeep Forum that claims to be a cooling expert. He lives in Vegas, so I guess you have to be there. He says that fan clutches wear out and leak a viscous fluid when they go bad. In the pic below, the one on the left has been leaking and is bad. Check yours out. And supposedly you can just buy the clutch itself.

He also said that the best thermostat is the Mopar one. It has a little hole in it, and that should be in the 12 o'clock position when installed.

We go back and forth about electric fans, but for the most part he's right on.
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

You're a super genius....
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein

andyinCopper

New thermostat is in. I'll find out some time this week if that fixed it.

andyinCopper

Re: 4.2 running warm up long hill, and crawling, but fine cruising on hwy.
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2017, 08:45:10 PM »

The fan clutch is definitely good to go. Locked up nice and tight when warm, and not too loose when cold either. I think I'll try a new sending unit, maybe an aftermarket gauge after that. I think it may be timing, unfortunately I don't have a timing light so I'll have to get one.

Mr.B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2017, 09:15:05 PM »

I used to have timing light laying around somewhere. It does me no good anymore, because I have no vehicle that needs one. You can have it, if you want it. And if I can find it.  :biggrin:

I used to have the same problems with my 2.5L. I installed a Taurus fan, and haven't had an issue since. Since you're having no problems on the hwy, the clutch fan and everything else is probably ok. The problem with a clutch fan is low RPM's. It just can't push the air as fast. I have a thread on JF on my install. If you're interested, I can give you the link.

White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein

Screaming Bear

• "the Bear Whisperer"
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2017, 09:30:44 PM »

Do you still have the fan shroud installed? If not, how close is the fan to the radiator?
51 CJ3-A, 4.3 TBI Chevy, SM420, Dana 18TC, 30/44 Full Floaters, Yukon Front Axle and Hub upgrade, rear drive flanges, Detroit Fr / E-Locker Rr, 4.27:1 Gears, 74:1, HD steering / power, 4 wheel disk brakes, Viair 550C, VisionX LED headlights, Soft Top and Heater, 35"KM-2's, 3" Lift, no articulation - it works

andyinCopper

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2017, 09:40:31 PM »

Do you still have the fan shroud installed? If not, how close is the fan to the radiator?

Yes. Still have the shroud.

I think I will try just replacing the water pump. I wanted to do all the easy stuff first but it doesn't seem to be working.

timatoe

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2017, 12:09:10 AM »

Make sure you get the right water pump for your application.  The 4.2 has two variants, with V belts and with a serpentine belt, I believe they use two different pumps.  The serpentine belt uses the reverse rotation pump and should have a "R" stamped on the impeller.

Mr.B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2017, 05:35:08 AM »

You could also think about the idea of a pusher fan.

andyinCopper

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2017, 04:53:22 PM »

I really don't think it's an airflow issue, but maybe. At 60 mph up the hill from Placerville to Pollock Pines I was getting plenty of air flow. I haven't had a chance to try it out crawling since I replaced the thermostat, but it did get a little warm going up some steep hills since then.