Norcal Jeepers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Norcal Jeepers!
Welcome to Norcal Jeepers! It looks like you're not registered yet. As a guest you are missing out on a bunch of great content that is only viewable once you register. To register, simply follow the link below and fill out some information about yourself. It only takes a few minutes!

Click here to register now!

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: 72 CJ build  (Read 2292 times)

Mase58

Re: 72 CJ build
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2018, 09:52:47 PM »

OK, finally got time to post some pictures, if Imjur is up to it.

Once I could get to the body I had to fix a few cracks and I wanted to plate where the body mounts go to make it a bit stronger

Then we flipped the tub and I put Robert and Tim to work

We cut the rear floor and sunk the fuel cell down and built a rack for it to sit on. Wire wheeled the entire bottom and sprayed it with Chassis Saver then Rubberized under coating.

While the tub was off, Tim and I built frame tie-ins and finished the rear suspension, built the anti-wrap bar, hitch receivers and winch plate. Then took the entire project back down to the frame and sprayed it with Chassis Saver as well. Then put everything back in.

With the frame complete the tub went back on and I had to get the steering column, pedal assembly, power assist for the brakes, clutch and the shifter tower all fabricated and in, along with strengthening up the firewall. Then we sprayed the inside with Chassis Saver and Raptor Liner.

Today I got the cage in, even though I need to finish it; the seats, pedals, throttle linkage, steering column and a few other misc. items. Tomorrow Tim and I  are doing the wiring.

Sorry It's so long but I had some catching up to do. It's getting real close and that's a good thing because it's going to Moab in a couple month. Looking forward to that. I'll try and update a bit sooner next time.

Mr.B

• "But officer, it was a Subaru!"
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2018, 10:01:42 PM »

Nice work.

It looks like you may have to let some air out of the tires, to get it to fit in the garage.
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

You're a super genius....
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein

Vinny

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2018, 07:13:05 AM »

Wow, looking great!!!

Mase58

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2018, 07:40:18 AM »

It was very close to fitting in the garage. It wont when I go to bigger tires.

Vinny

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2018, 07:46:50 AM »

What size is on it in the pics? 35s? and what are you going up to?

timatoe

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2018, 08:36:07 AM »

35's in those pics, eventually going to 40's on 17's.

So the rear shackle hangers has to be move the the back of the bumper because of shackle inversion on compression, I didn't compensate for lack of weight when we measured it out and initially set the shackle angle.

Also, Sean found a screaming deal on another tub and frame in better shape than the red tub we started with, so we swapped out the tub along the way and saved at least a weeks worth of work on the tub alone.  Now it's technically a '72 because that's how it's registered but the body is early 60's.

This project is moving along quickly, hopefully we'll get it out and tested before putting it on the trailer to Moab.  Don't need a repeat performance of that.

Mase58

« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2018, 02:58:19 AM »

Just another step closer. Tinted Raptor Liner over Chassis Saver. I think it's gonna hold up just fine. I like my blues.

Mase58

« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2018, 03:31:06 PM »

Ended up buying the same radiator Chris mentioned in my other post so I got that in. Also went with the Volvo e-fan and shroud like Tim did on his.

Also got my lights in and brake lines finished. Drag link is done, just gotta build the steering shaft.

It's getting real close.

Mr.B

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2018, 05:58:58 PM »

Nice fab job on the grill. I now someone else who did that 15 years ago.

And that beer in a cozy on the hood, it was permanently there.
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein

Mase58

« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2018, 12:50:34 AM »

That's an interesting grill and hood.

My grill is actually from a 74 DJ mail jeep

Day215

« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2018, 01:40:18 AM »

Nice fab job on the grill. I now someone else who did that 15 years ago.

And that beer in a cozy on the hood, it was permanently there.

What the hell is going on there? Its like its giving birth.
92 Toyota minitruck. Front 5.29s grizzly locker trussed six shooter knuckles RCV chromos drive slugs blah blah blah. rear 5.29s Lincoln locked 63 chevys. W56 5speed, 2.28 doublets, 22re. 38.5s beadlocks and other stuff. Bobbed, exod, cut up etc. I used to wheel a YJ, then I defected. Now no one talks to me anymore.....cant completly blame that on the switch though.

I'm out of the club. Stay away from my wiener.

Mr.B

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2018, 08:03:04 AM »

That's an interesting grill and hood.

My grill is actually from a 74 DJ mail jeep

That looks quite unique. Way back, we had a guy that was building a mail Jeep. He had a girlfriend with a Jeep, who also was on here. They split up, but they were still active on the site for a while. Then suddenly they both just stopped posting. IIRC, I think he abandoned the build.

What the hell is going on there? Its like its giving birth.

He stretched the frame, and that was how he decided to mount the grill. He was a Rambler, and he got a lot of crap about how it looked. It was back in 2003, and we never saw him again.

Mr.B

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2018, 08:39:55 AM »

I found the Mail Crawler build thread.

http://www.norcaljeepers.co/index.php?topic=351.0

Day215

« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2018, 09:12:10 AM »

I found the Mail Crawler build thread.

http://www.norcaljeepers.co/index.php?topic=351.0

Its awesome, I really like what hes doing with the photobucket logo.
92 Toyota minitruck. Front 5.29s grizzly locker trussed six shooter knuckles RCV chromos drive slugs blah blah blah. rear 5.29s Lincoln locked 63 chevys. W56 5speed, 2.28 doublets, 22re. 38.5s beadlocks and other stuff. Bobbed, exod, cut up etc. I used to wheel a YJ, then I defected. Now no one talks to me anymore.....cant completly blame that on the switch though.

I'm out of the club. Stay away from my wiener.

Mr.B

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2018, 10:37:48 AM »

What, you don't have the PBuck-it fix yet?

Vinny

« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2018, 10:43:40 AM »

What, you don't have the PBuck-it fix yet?

I never found the extension to download, which one was it again?

Mr.B

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2018, 04:20:26 PM »

I never found the extension to download, which one was it again?

I did post it here. But the Chrome add-on may have to be changed. Here is the thread I posted on Jeep Forum, I know that it is correct.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f176/photobucket-fix-chrome-firefox-4181513/?hotlinkfix=1520810208004

Vinny

« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2018, 04:54:02 PM »

Score, it worked this time, thanks dude!

Mase58

« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2018, 12:50:53 AM »

Got a little more done. Now it's the little stuff that just takes a while to get complete. Got all the frame for the soft top on and the doors. Built the steering shaft. I was hoping to get it registered, insured and driving this weekend but I think OT at work may put that off a week. Stupid close now. Starting to feel like a kid a Xmas. I want to drive it.

Mase58

« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2018, 02:40:38 PM »

If it wasn't for this stupid clutch issue the jeep would be on the road. So, like man's eternal problem, I need 1 more inch. the clutch pedal hits the floor board before completely disengaging the clutch. I do have play at the top of the pedal which may fix the problem, just don't known if that can be done with bleeding the system more (not sure if there is air in the system or not), a longer throw rod for the clutch master, a longer throw rod for the slave cylinder, a larger bore master so it pushes more fluid with a shorter throw or re-angle the clutch pedal arm itself. I'm just really limited on space between the floor and the column.

Tim and I are going to see what we can do. Any other ideas are appreciated. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3